Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > Other File Formats

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22 May 2006, 01:07 PM   #1

Default authoring field seq. .avi files with nero

I hope someone can help me with this one.

I am trying to take an .avi file and merge it with sound, then output it to DVD using Nero 7.

The problem is that I seem to loose significant quality because these are field sequential interlaced 3D .avi files and Nero seems to somehow remove the 3D effect.

I started out creating a DVD in Nero by "make a movie" and bringing in the .avi and audio files. did the menu and then burned it to a DVD-video folder, which then became an .iso via DVD Shrink. However, the interlaced 3D effect was gone. It looked like a slightly grainy 2D movie. I know the source .avi contains the field sequential interlaced separation, but when Nero is all done with it, it's been removed.

Is there another route through Nero I should take to do this properly? I have managed to reproduce some field sequential stuff on Nero before, but it was a different situation and i can't remember exactly how I did it! ANY help greatly appreciated!

Last edited by rrrrob; 22 May 2006 at 01:14 PM
rrrrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2006, 01:11 PM   #2
Super Moderator

not sure what nero actually does to the video, what settings did you use regarding interlacing? not a great app for handling interlaced content.

mind uploading a (~5 seconds) sample, or a link to such a file?

http://rapidshare.de

Last edited by anonymez; 22 May 2006 at 01:20 PM
anonymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2006, 10:15 PM   #3

I used "top field first". I also tried "bottom field first" and neither made a difference. I think I tried Automatic also, but I can't remember (yesterday was a mish-mash of trying ANYTHING to get it to encode properly). Also, I set Nero SmartEncoding to "disabled", as it said that the content would not be re-encoded if it matched the destination format. Previously, it was set to automatic and enabled. I didn't actually BURN anything on a DVD after changing it to "disabled", but during burn to my hard drive, you could see that the interlacing was no longer present (another question: should i have continued anyway? Perhaps the preview function during encoding will NEVER show interlaced/FS properly although it would be okay once burned to a disk?).

The other interlaced programs I WAS successful with were brought into the computer via "import DVD disk"--that method seemed to work, but the AVI files I want to use are not on a DVD, they are already on the hard drive.

IS there a good program out there for handling interlaced/field sequential DVD encoding/authoring? I know Roxio is even MORE limited than Nero....

I can upload a clip later today--I have to head to work now.

Thanks again!

Last edited by rrrrob; 22 May 2006 at 10:19 PM
rrrrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2006, 10:54 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
IS there a good program out there for handling interlaced/field sequential DVD encoding/authoring?
certainly

tmpgenc to encode to mpeg2, then tmpgenc dvd author. alternatively, AVI2DVD. search the forum for guides
anonymez is offline   Reply With Quote