Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > Other File Formats

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 9 Jan 2002, 08:47 AM   #1

Default Encoding using TMPEnc to optimize ability to edit

The question is:

What is the optimal setting (GOP structure, sequence heading, scene detection) on TMPEnc in order to generate MPEG-2 files that can be easily edited and re-rendered?

Backgound:

I am using TMPEnc to encode AVI files from my digital camcorder into VBR MPEG-2 files. I want to use the MPEG-2 format to save the files on CD-ROM for editing in the future. I find the AVI files to large to be able to load more than an hour on my hard drive. However, when I use my NL editor (VideoWave) to edit the files it hangs, or is 100x slower at rendering the final file. I think that VideoWave uses I-picture-only MPEG framing (very inefficient, but easy to edit). I have tried using a GOP sequence header interval of 1, and selected the "output bitstream for edit (closed GOP), with a standard frame "IBBPBBPBBPBBPBBP", and have had some success, but wanted to see if anyone on the forum has had better results.

There seem to be a lot of experienced video people on this forum, so any clarification that could be provided about the GOP sequence header interval would be appreciated.
ralla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2002, 09:36 PM   #2

this suggestion might not be good but here goes..try using a codec called "huffy uv"..you can get it somewhere on "vcdhelp.com" you can put your vid into vdub and compress the avi with no loss in quality..huffy is a lossless codec.i actually take the time to save the uncompressed captured "yet huge" avi's onto discs if i need to.btw..what version of videowave is it..i have v.3 and it sucks so i use premier now.but i use videowave just to capture.also..this might be a better question for editing forums.

http://brightideasdigitalmedia.com
johnbmx4christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2002, 05:27 AM   #3

I am using Videowave 5 and I am happy enough with the ability to create timelines, transitions and text titles. If I had a DVD-Writer and 200G hard disk I would do everything with AVI files. What I don't like is the quality of the MPEG encoders. I was really impressed with the TMPEnc. Does Premiere have comparable quality on the MPEG encoders? Can it edit MPEG files easily? I thought it had more to do with the way the MPEG files were encoded because I have no problem editing the MPEG files created by Videowave. I also know that there are issues with editing MPEG files (this is mentioned by Adobe in their documentation as well). This is why I was asking about the IPB formating, which has a lot to do with the quality/byte and the ability to look at individual frames.

I will try the AVI compression tool you mentioned.

Thanks v. much
Old 10 Jan 2002, 06:27 AM   #4

i have noticed that so far that when encoding with all the editing programs they kinda suck so i save as uncompressed avi and then encode with tmpg. tmpg also can save as avi. the reason why i stay with avis is because even with a mpeg2 it is compressed and then you are gonna edit and then render again and recompress it and its gonna look like crap. i have had no trouble editing any mpeg with any editing programs.i have used videowave, ulead video studio 4, and premier.btw i only have a cd burner and a 16 gig hard drive.i hope someone else can answer your original question better.i also wanna check out your vids.
johnbmx4christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2002, 05:21 AM   #5

I tried viddub and the huffy encoder, but have a problem with getting sound. I have a DV camera and apparently viddub does not fully support the DV-1 format. I tried the Premiere download, but it isn't much better at working with MPEG files. I guess all the forward and backward predictions make it a very awkward format. Anyhow, I am planning to use the following strategy:

1) Encode using TMPGEnc for MPEG-2 files (best quality/compression I have seen). I will use the GOP force setting and scene detector to put 3 I-pictures at every scene change.

2) Use the scene detector on Videowave to generate a scene catalog (will take some manual rework to get the scenes aligned properly with the triple I-picture boundary).

3) Save the results onto CD-ROM (the MPEG file and the DSC file from Videowave).

4) Whenever I want to build a video, I will select the scenes I want and then render them as a DV file.

5) Once the DV file has been rendered, I will be able to quickly add transitions, etc. Most NLEs seem very fast at dealing with those giant DV files.

I will do steps 1-3 for all my raw video, and once I have done it once (will be a lengthy task), I will be able to pick and choose scenes at will to compile video. As far as I could see, Premiere doesn't have any kind of scene detection feature. Let me know if I am wrong. Also, let me know if you know of a workaround for the viddub problems with DV files.

Thanks,
ralla.