Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > Other File Formats

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2003, 09:31 AM   #1

Default Gspot question

When opening one of my avi files, I have this comment under the video codec information box.

Gspot has found DIVX MPEG 4 Low-motion which is installed on your system, is a compatible with this format; based on that, the video for this file should play fine.

Direct show is apparently able to play the file as well, t hough it has selected a different codec, the DIVXAntiFreeze-->Divx Decoder Filter, whose primary 4cc Divx does not match the files 4cc (Div3).

It says it "could" cause performance issues. How do I get it to use the proper codec so the 4cc matches?

Thanks
jag5311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2003, 02:02 PM   #2
Old member

jag5311,

"Gspot has found DIVX MPEG 4 Low-motion which is installed on your system, is a compatible with this format; based on that, the video for this file should play fine."

Your AVI file is encoded using the DIVX MPEG 4 Low-motion compression format, which in turn has the FourCC code "DIV3". It is also apparent that you have the DIVX MPEG 4 Low-motion (alias DivX 3.11a) codec installed in your system. Normally this codec is used to play video files bearing the above FourCC code.

"Direct show is apparently able to play the file as well, t hough it has selected a different codec, the DIVXAntiFreeze-->Divx Decoder Filter, whose primary 4cc Divx does not match the files 4cc (Div3)."

However, it is also apparent that you have the DivX 5 codec installed. This codec automatically takes over playback of DivX 3.11 files, whether you want it or not. There is nothing wrong with this, though I am personally against this for quality and novelty reasons. The only ways to prevent this is to use the Tsunami-patched DivX 3.11 codec (available from the latest Tsunami codec pack) or to use FFDShow (which I personally find to be the best decoder of the bunch).
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote