Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > Other File Formats

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2003, 01:46 PM   #1

Unhappy help me pls...

hi all, im a newbie to these stuff, so i'm wondering if anyone here could give me some advice...

i've been trying to play some anime files for some time using DivX player or RealPlayer. when using DivX some movies are covered up by static images while the sound is okay. when i used RealPlayer to play the same file, everything works all right.

recently, many anime files were converted to Xvid and so i downloaded some Xvid codecs to my comp, but i still couldn't play the files. i downloaded koepi's unstable and stable binaries and nic's binaries and it still doesnt work properly, so i tried updating my graphics card driver.

somewhere along the way of messing ard with all these, i found that i was running into new problems.

1) movie files could play but the image was severely jumpy (ie it stops moving every few seconds and skips ahead)

2) the WORST thing is that many of my movies now run ok, but the image is overlayed by some symbols laid out all over in a checkered pattern. this affects even my Warcraft3 movie so i am totally in a mess now.

pls, could anyone who has run into such problems before give me some advice? any and all help is much appreciated, thx!
zio_magica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2003, 03:43 PM   #2

Sounds like a graphics card problem cos I think I experienced something similar before with strange runes splattered all across the screen

Try the following (Test the movie again after each step):

Uninstall your 'new' drivers and reinstall the 'old' ones.

Uninstall both Xvid codecs, download ffdshow:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/f...3.exe?download
and use it to play Xvid, DivX, etc.

Reinstall DirectX 9.0

(Strongly recommended) GET RID of RealPlayer, you don't need it anymore to view Real files. Real alternative:
http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/realalt101.exe

Try Media Player Classic, BSPlayer or MV2 Player which are all available at this forum under Software.
WildmanJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2003, 11:30 PM   #3

Unhappy-2

ok i uninstalled the new video driver, and also the xvid codec
but the movies which had the "runes" still have them
basically i think the situation is largely unchanged

did i miss out anything else?

also, how do i run ati files with ffdshow? i installed it but there doesnt seem to be any players for it, just a configuration. anyone can help me out pls? thx alot!
Old 26 Jul 2003, 12:32 AM   #4

You don't play files with FFDShow, you use it to decode your movies so you can play it in an ordinary media player. Make sure you configure FFDShow to play Xvid and all the other stuff.

ATI files? Or you mean those encoded with ATI's own codecs? For the latter you will need to have the codecs installed on your system. The ATI file player 'should' be able to play these files.

For these 'runes', you should try to change your overlay features under Display\Settings\Advanced\Overlay. Play around with all your other settings as well. D/l the latest version of DirectX 9.0b just be be sure:
http://www.gupin.com/down.asp?id=1144&no=1 or
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dxwebsetup.exe

If all else fails, try gently knocking your graphics card into place making sure it's tightly fitted in and check your monitor connection. If the above doesn't help you, then you better get more professional advice.
WildmanJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2003, 10:30 PM   #5

i tried most of the your advice, but the problem is still there
i guess i'll just have to live with it for now

thanks for trying to help anyway wildman joe, really appreciate it!!
Old 29 Jul 2003, 11:35 PM   #6
Old member

zio_magica,

Play the AVI files that are giving you the "rune" problems inWMP 6.4 (Run "mplayer2.exe" from the Run Command). While the movie is playing, go to File -> Properties -> Advanced Tab. You will be able to view the "active" codecs being used to render the file. Can you find out what video codec is being used, whether it is FFDShow or something else?

I simply need to check whether the problem occurs under FFDShow or otherwise.
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote