Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Video File Formats > Other File Formats

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18 Nov 2010, 01:24 PM   #1

Default LG BD590 - DVD Menu,

Hello,

I have a my DVD library copied to my NAS device. I used DVDFab, and up until this point I have been using Windows Media Center to access them. It has worked perfectly, click play, the DVD title menu is accessible and I can act just as if the DVD was in the drive.

Enter my LG BD590... purchased primarily to get my DVDs out of the reach of my little ones. I read it had DLNA capacity so I thought it would work perfectly. Unfortunately, not. It doesn't seem do know how to deal with the DVD contents in the folders. It will play them, but only as simple video files. No access to the title menu and no chapters. So.. my DVDs are still in the cabinet, fearing for the next successful invasion of little hands

So, my questions are these, am I doing something wrong? And, if not, what method of DVD extraction will allow me to access the title menu and chapters using the LG BD590 Home Link DLNA capability?

Thank you!

Take care,
Scott
Old 18 Nov 2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Administrator

DLNA doesn't guarantee it will play DVDs with menus and stuff, either from a folder or from an ISO file. It all depends on the player, in this case, your LG BD590, and what it is capable of doing. Most brand name players won't support folder/ISO playback, only the playback of the VOB files (at best, it can automatically play the many VOB files in the same title without pause).

I don't have one so can't be sure, but I think the WDTV Live player does support ISOs, but doesn't do menus. I think the Dvico TVIX range handles them better, and does support menus.

Best bet? Build an home theater PC yourself, and you will be able to play anything!
Old 19 Nov 2010, 01:11 AM   #3

Thank you very much for you speedy help!

Do any of the encoder formats support menus and chapters? (DIVx, etc) Or at least support chapters or some kind of indexing? I'm happy (well, not really ) to re-rip the DVDs just to keep them out of my kids hands.

Thanks again!
Old 19 Nov 2010, 01:53 AM   #4
Administrator

Here's a pretty comprehensive thread on the BD590 over at AVSForum, I think this is the best place to ask about what kind of files the standalone supports in terms of providing chapter/subtitle support, since it's mostly populated by fellow owners of the machine:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1229543

Just doing a brief search, it appears that MKV chapters aren't supported, so it's very likely that it won't support chapters for other container formats either.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 02:33 AM   #5

Thank you very much. I'll be sure to pass along the link to this site!

Take care,
Scott
Old 20 Nov 2010, 06:02 AM   #6

Thanks again for the advice... but registration is closed so I can't post
Old 20 Nov 2010, 07:40 AM   #7
Eclectician

I have first generation WD HDTV player for USB. Not the Live. It does not give menus for dvd .iso but it will display dvd as an .iso or .mkv(such as made with MakeMKV) with subtitles. For external subtitle support it will use .srt or idx/sub.

It does not support PGS subtitles. A mixed bag. The later generations have DTS downmix to stereo and may support additional subtitle formats.. I'm not sure. One comment I did note in a user review by someone who owned WD HDTV for USB both gen1 and gen2 players was the upconversion in gen1 was actually better(at least that makes me feel good as I just missed getting the gen2 player, It came out right after I bought gen1.)

xvid and divx look good upconverted. No XSubs support though. You have to use external subtitle files or burn the subs in. One hassle with the WD player if you FF the subs tend to go out of sync. For that reason I often burn the subs in while compressing video.

The first generation player I have is no longer supported. The latest firmware update is the last one.

The later generation and Live versions may have improved features. You can get an idea on this forum:

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php
Old 20 Nov 2010, 07:43 AM   #8
Eclectician

Quote:
Originally Posted by starone View Post
I see more and more product forums doing that. I registered for Macrium Reflect forum just before they required your product registration info in order to post. Seems like one way to torpedo the competition is to post phony bug reports or negative comments on their forums. Pretty soon to take a bite out of my sandwich I'll need to enter my SS#
Old 20 Nov 2010, 12:10 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by starone View Post
It's working for me now:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/register.php

Last edited by admin; 20 Nov 2010 at 02:57 PM
Old 20 Nov 2010, 02:17 PM   #10
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

This is the message that I get when trying to register -
You have chosen not to accept the forum rules, so registration cannot continue.

Click here to return to the main forums page, or click the 'Back' button on your browser if you now want to agree with the forum rules.
Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 02:57 PM   #11
Administrator

Sorry, posted the wrong link, the post has been updated now.
Old 4 Dec 2010, 06:05 PM   #12

thanks
friend;
discuss this type of article,
This is really remarkable...........