Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Other Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30 Mar 2003, 08:23 AM   #1

Default DVD2AVI 1.86 problem

Out of the many encoding programs tried, I finally got the audio and video to sync when ripping an episode off the Simpson's 2nd Season DVD set.

The newly encoded episode, however, shows horizontal lines when ever anything on screen moves fast. Has anyone else seen this before and have a solution, or am I the lucky one to have a unique situation.

Software: DVD2AVI 1.85
Codec: Divx 5.0.3 Pro
CPU: AMD Duron 1.3 GHz
Mem: 768 MB PC100

I would like to only recieve responces in regards to DVD2AVI only. Please don't tell me to just use another encoder, at least without backing it up with a direct experience.

Thank you.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 08:32 AM   #2
Super Moderator

how many people do you think use dvd2avi for encoding?

i dont know anyone!

why might that be?

could there be better options?
Old 30 Mar 2003, 05:12 PM   #3

You don't have to be condesending about it. Alright, tell me about the better solutions then.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 06:13 PM   #4
Old member

Default Re: DVD2AVI 1.86 problem

Quote:
Originally posted by sircharles
I would like to only recieve responces in regards to DVD2AVI only. Please don't tell me to just use another encoder, at least without backing it up with a direct experience.
Alright. I'll give you a few pointers as to why we do not want to any encodings in DVD2AVI.

DVD2AVI lacks the necessary features or tools often available in other encoders. In your case, your sample is suffering from interlacing artifacts and I am not aware of any method you can use (in DVD2AVI) to remove them.

There is no way you can select the resizing method either. You are stuck with whatever DVD2AVI defaults to using. You may be using Bicubic, Bilinear or, Heaven forbids, Nearest Neighbour.

To summarise it short, DVD2AVI is not the right tool to use to compress a video stream. It sorely lacks the versatility and availability of many crucial tools.

Quote:
Originally posted by sircharles
Alright, tell me about the better solutions then.
Use DVD2AVI for frameserving instead.

Open the VOB files as usual. Instead of saving to an AVI, you save the project instead to a D2V file. Using either vFAPI or Avisynth as a frameserver to the D2V file, you can open the frameserver file in VirtualDub (which I and many others will recommend) and apply filters as you see fit.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 02:11 AM   #5

Alright. I have used DVD2AVI, because it is the only one out of the following that I have used that has been able to give somewhat satisfactory results:

Flask Mpeg Xis 3.0e Expert: produces jerky audio and video.

Flask Mpeg 0.594: refuses to load .ifo files, even though I have addon loaded.

DVD2DivX Rippack: Produces good audio and video, but has problems syncing them. It uses mpeg2avi for the video, and uses Virtualdub to create the compressed audio track and then interlace it with the video.

I would like information on easy to use (GUI) either all in one rippack solutions or good easy to use encoders.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 07:06 AM   #6
Super Moderator

sorry, sircharles

didnt mean to offend you, but since you didtnt seem to have spend time reading in any baord that deals with transcoding and still your first statement is, that you dont want to hear suggestions like: use xyz instead of abc, i couldnt refrain.