Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Other Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18 Feb 2003, 10:44 AM   #1

Default MicroDVD

Ok, I'm creating a Micro DVD for the movie Tomb Raider.
I have everything set up now, menus, chapters, subtitles etc. Since the movie is larger then 1 GB I've splitted the movie into 2 CDs. The first CD plays just fine, chapters and everything. But the second one plays just the movie, the subtitles and chapters are as if this was the first CD starting from 0 again. I already changed the line that specifies that this is the second CD and all. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 09:22 AM   #2

What I end up doing is making a seperate MicroDVD INI file for each disc. I have yet to figure out how to make the multiple disc option work right. So I put the first halfs chapters and the menus that will be accessed on disc one. Then I change it all and put the chapters for disc 2 on there and alter the menus so that only the features on disc 2 can be accessed.
This also needs to be done on the scene selection menus. It's a pain but it's the only way I've found it to work.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 09:26 AM   #3

Tonight I'm going to try something else and will let you know if it works.
I'm going to try only putting the avi on disc 2 and no MDVD.ini on it. The INI file from disc one should recognize the number of frames on the video file on disc 2 and start playing it automatically. I'll give it a try and let you know.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 03:08 AM   #4

I did find a way to work, but it's not like I wanted to. What I did was treat them both as different movies altogether. I just subtracted the amount of frames from the first avi and adjusted the chapters on the second one, starting from chapter 7 which was the last chapter on my first avi, and it also I splitted my subtitle file, now with the second one starting from frame 0 as well. But if you do find out something, please let me know, I appreciated it.
Old 28 Feb 2003, 03:43 AM   #5

Well, the things I tried last night did not work. I got it to tell me to insert disc 2 at the end of disc 1 but I can not get it to recognize that disc 2 has been inserted. The only way around this will be to treat each part as if it's a seperate movie and make a different INI file for each one with altered chapters, frames and options. Anyone else here found a way to get this damn thing to work right?
Old 4 Mar 2003, 03:23 AM   #6
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

"[Micro DVD Ini File]

[MAIN]
Title=The Movie
ID=0002
CDNumber=1
[MOVIE]
Directory=.
AVIName=Movie1.avi
AVI2Name=Movie2.avi
CD1Frames=135770
CD2Frames=142836
[SUBTITLES]
Directory=.
1=Dan Dansk
File=Sub1.txt
2=Eng English
File=Sub2.txt"

Look here this is a file from CD1 of a movie with just the subs

"[Micro DVD Ini File]

[MAIN]
Title=The movie
ID=0002
CDNumber=2
[MOVIE]
Directory=.
AVIName=Movie1.avi
AVI2Name=Movie2.avi
CD1Frames=135770
CD2Frames=142836
[SUBTITLES]
Directory=.
1=Dan Dansk
File=Sub1.txt
2=Eng English
File=Sub2.txt"

And here we go Part 2. the only thing changed is CDNumber Everything else is the same. And while we are at it the subtitle file will have to be only one, meaning that it goes from the start to end, and you have to have the same file on each disc, also the menus have to be on both discs.

The problem you had with it not recognizing disc 2 was probably the "ID" it has to be the same on both discs

Hope it helps

Old 4 Mar 2003, 11:04 AM   #7

I tried it that way as well as having all of the chapters and all of the menu selections the same as well. Now, do you also have to put the autostart files on disc 2 as well or just leave those out? So when disc one is finished and the box comes up saying to insert disc 2, doing it this way will make MDVD automatically recognize that disc and continue playing?
Old 4 Mar 2003, 11:06 AM   #8

Also, if I have trailers on disc 1 do they also need to be on disc 2? Does every single thing from disc one have to be on disc 2 as well? (Well with the exception of the first half of the movie, obviously)
Old 4 Mar 2003, 12:03 PM   #9

Well I did exactly everything you said, including having the files on both discs and the same ID number, but it didn't even asked me to insert disk 2, let alone keeping track of the frames so the chapters/subtitles would keep going. Instead it completely ignored the fact that the movie was in 2 disks and treated them as separate disks altogether.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 03:03 AM   #10
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Check out the Document that's here

I know this works
Attached Files
File Type: zip here we go.zip‎ (11.3 KB, 143 views)
Old 5 Mar 2003, 03:09 AM   #11
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well you will only need the Menus & Subtitles on both the discs, hte specialfeatures should just be located on disc 1 or 2. I don't know about the autostart files because i have never used that feature, Just made the disc and then started up MircroDVD myself so i wouldn't know but the document should describe it and it will work cause I have used this file myself, and it does work

It would be silly if the special features should be on both dic, it would be a waste of space
Old 5 Mar 2003, 04:09 AM   #12

OK. cool. Thanks. I'll give it a try again tonight. I may have been screwing something up before because it just would not work. I also thought that it would be silly to have the special features on both discs too but I was just wondering. And I didn't realize that you could indicate which disc the SF's were on either. That's cool. I'll give it a try with the auto run and without the auto run and see which one works. I will also try it with having MicroDVD give notification to insert disc 2 when the movie is done playing and to see if your example will work with that option activated.
And I will report back tomorrow. Thanks again!
Old 6 Mar 2003, 12:13 AM   #13

Well, I tried it and when I put in disc 2 of the movie and started it it kept telling me to insert disc 1 and then it would give an error. Dang Blast!
Old 2 Apr 2003, 06:03 AM   #14

I thought I would revive this thread here and inform everyone that this now works for me. When disc one is finished it then tells me to load disc 2. And once it's loaded it automatically resumes the movie. I don't know what I did wrong but I'm just glad it works now! It could have had something to do with the fact that I was putting the autostart files on disc 2 and 3 and it wasn't trying to continue the movie in MicroDVD, it was trying to launch ANOTHER microDVD session and play it in that one, which then caused an error.
Anyway, yay for me.