Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Other Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19 Apr 2006, 04:02 PM   #1
Damn Perfectionist

Question With a VDub created .avi, I get video artifacts in TMPGEnc, HELP ME!

While using VDub-Mpeg2 (v1.6.11) or VDubMod (v1.5.10.2) on an .m2v clip, everything seems to work fine and I get my output .avi using Lagarith v1.38 codec.

Watching my .avi on any player also seems fine.
But when I open my .avi in TMPGEnc (v2.521.58 or v2.524.63), I get some bizzare artifacts affecting entire frames - Big blocky colourful artifacts, but only affecting single frames here and there throughout the video.
I have attached three examples of these artifacts. They do not seem to appear at regular intervals either, so what gives??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Attached Thumbnails
With a VDub created .avi, I get video artifacts in TMPGEnc, HELP ME!-tmpgenc-.avi-frame-capture-01.jpg   With a VDub created .avi, I get video artifacts in TMPGEnc, HELP ME!-tmpgenc-.avi-frame-capture-02.jpg   With a VDub created .avi, I get video artifacts in TMPGEnc, HELP ME!-tmpgenc-.avi-frame-capture-03.jpg  
Old 22 Apr 2006, 11:50 PM   #2
Damn Perfectionist

Lightbulb OK, It might be Lagarith

I've been doing some more testing, and I see that it might be the Lagarith codec that is responsible, though I'd still like someone to tell me how Lagarith could be causing these artifacts!?? I am now using HuffYUV (v2.2.0), and so far, I have not noticed any strange artifacts with TMPGEnc, though I have not carefully gone through the clip yet.

Perhaps I should ask if I am using the right software for what I want to do:
I have an .m2v clip that I want to deinterlace, crop and tweak, and TMPGEnc does not offer the more advanced deinterlace (I should say DeComb) options, so I thought I'd run my clip through AVISynth with VDub-MPEG2 using a lossless codec. (I've also been trying not to convert my colorspace from YV12). So now I have an .avi clip looking the way I want it, I have to turn it back to an .m2v clip, so I run it through TMPGEnc... Is there a more efficient way of accomplishing this?

Hopefully now somebody will respond to this thread, and yes, I guess I am a newbie, but I have learned a little...

Regards.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 04:57 PM   #3
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

Forget about VDub. Just open the AVISynth script in TMPGEnc. You probably want to add converttoRGB24() to the end of your script though since TMPGEnc prefers RGB input and will convert anyway.