Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Active) > VCD/SVCD > Conversion/Encoding

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30 Jun 2006, 08:52 AM   #1

Default Free AVI Splitter

Hi, I am trying to make VCD's, but I need to split the avi file.

What are some FREE full function avi splitters out there that I can use?

TIA,

Viper
Old 30 Jun 2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Super Moderator

virtualdub

Old 30 Jun 2006, 11:28 AM   #3

Default How to use virtualdub

Hi,

I d/l'd virtual dub, but don't know how to use it. I thought it would have options for splitting a file in two, but I don't see these options.

Can you tell me the basics of how to use it?

TIA,

And, thanks for the advice so far...

Viper
Old 30 Jun 2006, 12:04 PM   #4
Digital Video Master
Digital Video Master

Just open your .avi file with VirtualDub(Mod), move the cursor where you want to start the selection, and then press the Mark in button. Move the cursor to where you want to end the selection and press Mark out button (Pay attention to the Frame indicator so you know where to start the second part later). If you want to keep video and audio formats as original, go to Video and select Direct stream copy. Go to Streams > stream list> right-click audio and select Direct stream copy. Go to File and click Save as and save your first split .avi file. To save the second part, just start the selection right after where you placed the Mark out in the first part and continue those above steps. Good luck

Regards
Old 30 Jun 2006, 02:47 PM   #5

Default How To:

Basically, I want to be able to d/l any movie, in any format (avi, mpg, mov, wmf, etc) and put it on a vcd to watch from my dvd player.

I figured out how to d/l movies a while ago from usenet. Have seen some good ones.

But, now I want to endeavor into the realm of the vcd. Currently, if the clip is < 80min, I use Nero to creat a vcd.

Now the question comes up with larger files. I was told here to use virtualdub to split the files, but, I must be doing something wrong because just a portion of the new file, which should be 1/2 of the origional, is like 4G! The file size is balooning.

After you have your 70-80 minutes of movie in avi, and I am assuming you always want to convert to avi first, am I right?; what program do you use to create the vcd. I have been using Nero, but it is pretty slow. I toyed around with using WinAviConverter and it seems like a nice program, but you have to pay for it. I am on a very limited budget.

So, I would like to hear from all of you who burn vcd's. What format is the origional movie in, how do you split it, what do you use to convert to vcd and burn?

TIA,

Viper
Old 1 Jul 2006, 01:01 AM   #6
Digital Video Master
Digital Video Master

Quote:
Basically, I want to be able to d/l any movie, in any format (avi, mpg, mov, wmf, etc) and put it on a vcd to watch from my dvd player.

I figured out how to d/l movies a while ago from usenet. Have seen some good ones.
IMHO, I don't think that I allow myself to answer your question since you mentioned about downloading movie. So it's up to the Mods to decide

Regards
Old 1 Jul 2006, 01:38 AM   #7
Demigod of Digital Video

Default pghpittviper

please see the rules. 6 in this case

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
If you mention that you downloaded a movie (a full movie, not a movie file) from an online/file sharing source without specifying it was legal (eg. "I downloaded a movie from Kazza")
closed
"You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
(An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Closed Thread