Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Active) > VCD/SVCD > Conversion/Encoding

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26 May 2006, 06:28 PM   #1

Default VCD's for widescreen?

First let me say hi all, I'm new here so be gentle.

I've got several VCD's I would like to "move over" to DVD. The problem is I want to view this DVD on a small, portable player. The normal method...extract mpgs>resample audio>author>burn leaves you with 4:3 DAR video thats stretched too wide when viewed in widescreen mode. I need to correct the aspect ratio so I can view it in widescreen mode. I'm mainly talking about widescreen movies here with video aspect ratios of 1.8 to 1 (or greater).

I know I could reencode the mpegs but the quality suffers, not to mention the additional time and space issues that go along with that. I'd rather not have to watch it in fullscreen mode, I can't hardly see that tiny screen as it is.

I'm looking for some kind of work around...a trick...a cheat...a patch...something that would allow me to correct the AR without reencoding. If I were going the reencode route, I would clip (or stretch) the vertical resolution to compensate for it. Do any of you know how to accomplish this without reencoding?

Any ideas, links to ideas, or comments? Thanks ahead, Fletch

Last edited by fletchdp; 29 May 2006 at 02:54 AM
fletchdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2006, 07:43 PM   #2

nothing! Then may I pose this question...If I must reencode, and let's say I don't want to change the resolution, is there a way to calculate the "optimum" bitrate for my reencoded file. Anybody?

Last edited by fletchdp; 29 May 2006 at 02:57 AM
fletchdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2006, 05:39 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchdp
First let me say hi all, I'm new here so be gentle.

I've got several VCD's I would like to "move over" to DVD. The problem is I want to view this DVD on a small, portable player. The normal method...extract mpgs>resample audio>author>burn leaves you with 4:3 DAR video thats stretched too wide when viewed in widescreen mode. I need to correct the aspect ratio so I can view it in widescreen mode. I'm mainly talking about widescreen movies here with video aspect ratios of 1.8 to 1 (or greater).

I know I could reencode the mpegs but the quality suffers, not to mention the additional time and space issues that go along with that. I'd rather not have to watch it in fullscreen mode, I can't hardly see that tiny screen as it is.

I'm looking for some kind of work around...a trick...a cheat...a patch...something that would allow me to correct the AR without reencoding. If I were going the reencode route, I would clip (or stretch) the vertical resolution to compensate for it. Do any of you know how to accomplish this without reencoding?

Any ideas, links to ideas, or comments? Thanks ahead, Fletch
No tricks here till you re-encode, btw, you can use a mpeg1 only for DVD, it will play well and quality doesnt suffer much.
techreactor is offline   Reply With Quote