Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Encoding and Playback

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2003, 12:55 AM   #1

Default TMPGenc problem not keeping aspect ratio

I have the latest version of TMPGens and it is not keeping the aspect ratio of the source.

I ripped it with smartripper and prepared it for TMPGenc with dvd2avi. I start the wizard in TMPGenc, chose SVCD NTSC, browse for the Video and audio source. In "expert setting for source" I keep "Non-Interlace", "Bottom field first (field B)" and change aspect ratio to "16:9 525 Line (NTSC)" because the original DVD is widescreen. Then in "Other Settings" under "Filter Setting", I unlock the aspect ratio only to change it to "16:9 display" because of the source that is widescreen. I don't start encoding immediately, under "Preview options" in the "Option" menu I change it to "Do not fix preview size" so I can see exactly how the resulting file will look like.

The problem is this. When I do this the resulting ratio is changed. It is stretched vertically. After doing a bunch of test I found out that by only unlocking the aspect ratio in the "Other settings" with out changing any other setting at all, it is stretched still vertically. I still see the black bars on top and bottom but they are very little.
If I don't unlock the aspect ratio (that keeps it to the default of 4:3) the black bars are there and much bigger, almost like the original but I find that it is still stretched a bit.

In the Advanced tab, what ever "Video arrange Method" I use, Full screen, Full screen(keep aspect ratio) or full screen(keep aspect ratio2) it does not make any difference.

Last edited by NitraMus; 19 Sep 2003 at 01:06 AM
NitraMus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2003, 02:12 AM   #2
Retired

Instead of fretting about how it looks on your PC's monitor, burn your SVCD on a R/W CD and play it back on your standalone DVD player (via television). You may be pleasantly surprised...
setarip is offline   Reply With Quote