Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 8 May 2005, 12:10 AM   #1
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

Thumbs up Court Blocks TV Anti-Piracy tech rules

I just read this on USA Today.com . Judges for U.S Court of Appeals says FCC went to far. Link = http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...t-ruling_x.htm

Maybe there is hope on the horizon for legitimate backup in the U.S.
Old 8 May 2005, 01:37 AM   #2
Digital Video Explorer

It's interesting that the article uses the example of "Desperate Housewives" as an illustration to show that TV recording has become a "Rampant" activity. As stated in the 10th paragraph of the article:

"so the court's decision will have little immediate effect."

Most likely what will happen is the big electronics companies along with "MPAA" will simply lobby Congress to change the laws to be in their favor. What will be interesting to see emerge will be the new technology that will in effect "Block" recording successfully off the airwaves and whether or not they will be successful in doing so.
Old 8 May 2005, 07:41 AM   #3
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

If you can see or hear it, eventually you should be able to record it. Maybe someone will make a video MP3 style ripper that will rip video to another format. It is amazing the amount of people buying HDTV recievers that are not HDCP compatible let alone HDTV's. Sears is selling them heavily discounted and the sales people are oblivious. I posted under DVD Playback that Decrypted Videos will play scaled up on DVD players that upscale (1080i) . The Macrovison is what turns on HDCP in the new DVD players. The new players will not allow copyrighted DVD's to scale up and will go no farther than 480i or 480p. Judgeing by the amount of feedback I got on that post it is neither a non-issue or not to many people play back Hi-def yet. I always re-author the DVD's I purchase even If I have to stretch it to two discs to maximize the viewing experience. The Incredibles for instance is phenomenal at 1080i @ 80 inches. I don't see a get around for over the air or cable viewing either for viewing on non-compatible TV's or recording in hi-def.