Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > General > Off Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22 May 2007, 09:33 PM   #1
NOT an online superstore

Unhappy You guys won't see much of me for a while

Hello,

Unfortunately my parents took away my keyboard and mouse.. because they were mad about the "progress report" grades I got. They didn't believe me when I said that those grades were better (which they are), but they said they would wait until the report card to give them back. I don't want to have to wait 3 weeks to use the computer, but I guess you guys won't see much of me unless my mom has a change of heart.

I also told her that my teachers said that the brain can't take constant studying... after about the number of minutes that you are in age (rephrase that if you want LOL) you can't stay focused, so that if you study for two hours without a break you'll only remember the first 15 minutes or so. My mom immediately thought I was lying and refused to hear it... basically now she's calling my teachers lyers.

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀šŰǹt̉ếř
Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
My DVD Collection
drfsupercenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2007, 11:14 PM   #2
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
I also told her that my teachers said that the brain can't take constant studying

drf, we've ALL tried that line when we were kids, & it didn't work back then, & it won't work now...

Quote:
you can't stay focused, so that if you study for two hours without a break you'll only remember the first 15 minutes or so.
If that's the case, then I think the school day should be what, let's see...

15 min. x 6 subjects, give or take... that's about 90 min., not including lunch & the time between classes.

If we shorten the day, because your brain can't handle all that extra study time, does that mean my homeowners' school taxes will go down?

If so, I'm all for it!!! LOL

Quote:
My mom immediately thought I was lying and refused to hear it... basically now she's calling my teachers lyers.
Hmmm......

I love this thread!

Last edited by katzdvd; 22 May 2007 at 11:18 PM
katzdvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2007, 11:36 PM   #3
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

My son progress report was is the same way, but if you go online at look at his grades they are actually better. So which is right?
doctorhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 12:13 AM   #4
Who Farted?

A progress report might actually be something similar to what we adults have in the work place known as job evaluations....they are really nothing more than tools to try and get you to work harder via scare tactics and shame games.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
Walt Kelly
locoeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 12:34 AM   #5
Digital Video Enthusiast
Digital Video Enthusiast

Progress reports are so parents don't have a coronary when the report card comes home! LOL

Maybe she is taking the PC away so that when you ARE studying, your mind is in your books and not counting the minutes till you can get back on the PC.
Kabuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 03:21 AM   #6
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

@DRF,
You really don't spend much time in outdoor sports;do you? Whatever free time you get ,you seem to spend in front of the computer. It doesn't help to relax your nerves,nor does it help your already weak eyes. So ,may be, this break will do you good. At your age,more time should be spent in the real green fields.

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF
paglamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 05:17 AM   #7
Dan
Digital Video Master
Digital Video Master

Didn't we have 3 or 4 other threads like this,LOL?

I'm sure you will be using a computer one way or another.

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 06:44 AM   #8
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Didn't we have 3 or 4 other threads like this,LOL
I think you are right Dan...and DRF I think your parents are right..not gonna hurt you to miss out on dvf for abit...you are a valuable part of our little family here but being a kid and working hard at school is way more important!

Turn down the suck...Turn up the
good
-------------------------------------------
Derree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 06:51 AM   #9
Who Farted?

Don't you hate the voice(s) of reason?
locoeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 07:10 AM   #10
Dan
Digital Video Master
Digital Video Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derree View Post
I think you are right Dan...and DRF I think your parents are right..not gonna hurt you to miss out on dvf for abit...you are a valuable part of our little family here but being a kid and working hard at school is way more important!
Derree has a very good point, I know you might not think so but unfortunately it is true.

Like Paglamon said, this break could be a wonderful thing, experience new things and you might not miss that computer so much.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 09:44 AM   #11
Not a god of digital video

Do focus on spelling and grammar during your off period drf.

Your spelling is atrocious. "Lyers" indeed!!!

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 10:56 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Danny will be making a lot of trips to the library this summer, course not to undermine his parent's authority
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 01:42 PM   #13
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

@blu
That is why I have iespell. I am bad at spelling at times.
doctorhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 07:34 PM   #14

Well, I say kudos to your parents. I wish My brother and his wife would have done something like this when my niece and nephew's grades started to fall. Instead they did nothing. Letting get away with no punishment, kept letting them play their video games,T.V.,cellphone and the computer. Now it looks like it's come back to haunt them. Try to see it from where they stand and feel lucky enough that you have parents that care about you and are looking out for your future. In the meantime try to make a honest effort to improve (make sure they see it) and maybe you'll get your stuff back earlier.
ipaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 09:34 PM   #15
NOT an online superstore

Quote:
Danny will be making a lot of trips to the library this summer, course not to undermine his parent's authority

Quote:
A progress report might actually be something similar to what we adults have in the work place known as job evaluations....they are really nothing more than tools to try and get you to work harder via scare tactics and shame games.
Not exactly, the progress reports are "current" grades, but by the time they get to people's houses, the grades are 2 weeks old. You know how much grades can change in that time... in my honors English class, it said I had a C on my progress report (which I did, for a breif while), but now I have a solid B. But leave it to progress reports to make me look bad.

Quote:
You really don't spend much time in outdoor sports;do you? Whatever free time you get ,you seem to spend in front of the computer. It doesn't help to relax your nerves,nor does it help your already weak eyes. So ,may be, this break will do you good. At your age,more time should be spent in the real green fields.
That's not really part of the issue... my parents are expecting me to study 24/7 without breaks. It's simply not possible! Even when they were kids, they had breaks... they just didn't have COMPUTERS

Quote:
Relax, I can use school computers
drfsupercenter is offline   Reply With Quote