Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Boycotts/Protests/Petitions/Rants

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19 Apr 2007, 09:16 PM   #1

Default DirecTV, on your decision to transition to Mpeg-4

Message to DirecTV, I read somewhere else that you have launched a separate satellite and will eventually be sending all your HDTV eventually in Mpeg-4. I would just like to say while, hey, maybe Mpeg-4 looks acceptable by HD standards on a 17" PC monitor but not so much on a 50" HDTV display. Even with no equipment or interference problems, noise and artifacts will be clearly noticeable so please reconsider.

Last edited by mrvideo; 19 Apr 2007 at 09:22 PM
Old 19 Apr 2007, 10:20 PM   #2
BR7
He is coming to your little town!

You have to keep in mind that they are only allowed a certain amount of bandwidth so maybe
this is their best option

My Blu-ray Collection
Old 20 Apr 2007, 11:53 AM   #3
NOT an online superstore

I hate satellite anyway, my grandparents like it because they don't have local news on stuff like the morning shows... but that's exactly why I don't like it.

And even their broadcasts of things like NBC come in seconds late anyway. Better off with cable.

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀šŰǹt̉ếř
Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
My DVD Collection
Old 20 Apr 2007, 12:15 PM   #4
Super Moderator

A HD mpeg 4 should do well with 10MB/min stream
Old 20 Apr 2007, 12:25 PM   #5
BR7
He is coming to your little town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfsupercenter View Post
I hate satellite anyway, my grandparents like it because they don't have local news on stuff like the morning shows... but that's exactly why I don't like it.

And even their broadcasts of things like NBC come in seconds late anyway. Better off with cable.
I know both Direct TV & Dish Network offer local channels in most areas.Second with the new law both Dish & Direct TV can't offer distant locals anymore.So if you in an area that Dish and Direct Tv hasn't set up shop for your locals then your SOL especially if you cant even get your locals with a rooftop antenna (there are no exceptions)
Old 20 Apr 2007, 06:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR7 View Post
So if you in an area that Dish and Direct Tv hasn't set up shop for your locals then your SOL especially if you cant even get your locals with a rooftop antenna (there are no exceptions)
Well, that's not totally true, but this isn;t a forum for that type of discussion.
You also need to remember one thing about he Satelite companies..both are fighting a constant battle against signal theft, a.k.a. pirates.
Many changes that are introduced are an effort to thwart those attempts.
DTV has been much more successful in cobatting the pirates, but Dish has had very little effect. Dish has had warnings as to actions thgat will be taken if they do not make better attempts at thwarting signal theft..... but again, their Smart Cards architecture have been studied very closely and emulating the card has become common.
Both have terrible customer service, but not nearly as bad as the cable companies..I went to satelite because of the customer service from cable... with satelite, I don;t need the customer service..

Old 20 Apr 2007, 09:38 PM   #7
NOT an online superstore

Quote:
I know both Direct TV & Dish Network offer local channels in most areas.Second with the new law both Dish & Direct TV can't offer distant locals anymore.So if you in an area that Dish and Direct Tv hasn't set up shop for your locals then your SOL especially if you cant even get your locals with a rooftop antenna (there are no exceptions)
They get ABC and NBC, but it's not local. That's what I mean.
Old 21 Apr 2007, 02:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfsupercenter View Post
They get ABC and NBC, but it's not local. That's what I mean.
But locals are available through the sat. companies, you just have to pay extra for them, like an add-on package.

However, there are antenas you can place on your dish to get your locals...FREE.... many folks seem to have forgotten that their local channels are still broadcasted for free in your area....
With the advent of cable tv and sat tv, folks forgot about the old rabbit ears... their not rabbit ears any longer, they have gotten pretty technical with local anteanas...
Old 21 Apr 2007, 06:18 AM   #9
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
However, there are antenas you can place on your dish to get your locals...FREE.... many folks seem to have forgotten that their local channels are still broadcasted for free in your area....
With the advent of cable tv and sat tv, folks forgot about the old rabbit ears... their not rabbit ears any longer, they have gotten pretty technical with local anteanas...
won't the analog signal be phased out shortly, when the digital comes on the scene? They are going to drop the analog broadcast.

At that point, they would need a dig. receiving antenna. (2008)
Old 23 Apr 2007, 09:30 AM   #10
NOT an online superstore

I have cable that has local channels... that does become a problem on my family room TV, however, because of what I call antenna interference. A weak signal from the air waves mixes with the slightly faster cable signal and makes a ghost image on the screen. The cable guys had no idea how to fix it either
Old 23 Apr 2007, 10:12 AM   #11
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

@drf
No that is not the problem it sounds like you have a cable coax problem. What you need to do is to have the cable company come out and take measurments on the cable. Look at the bit error rate and the signal lost. Been there done that and finally found a tech that actually knew what they were doing, and how to take the proper measurements.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 12:07 PM   #12
NOT an online superstore

Well you have to pay to have the cable people come out.

I never watch local channels, except if there's some breaking news, so it's not that big of a deal.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 10:41 AM   #13

Actually, what you have is 'ingress'. That's the local over the air leaking into the cable. The usual fix is to tighten or replace fittings. There are usually at least half a dozen, and if one or more are loose or poorly installed the coax's shield can't shield the cable signal and bingo, ghosts.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 10:58 AM   #14
NOT an online superstore

Would it be easier to replace the coax altogether?
Old 25 Apr 2007, 03:22 PM   #15
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

I have comcast here and they don't charge anything to come out and check out any problems you may have.