Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Boycotts/Protests/Petitions/Rants

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23 Apr 2006, 07:59 AM   #1
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

Default The Jerry Springer Hate for DVD43 Show

I don't understand the animosity for a program that is free and works for some many DVD's. If it causes conflict, SHUT IT DOWN!!!. That's easy enough, but for God's sake let's not blast people for using such an easy tool. Not everybody has the expertise to go thru the motions required by other methods. I think it is fun to try everything but some people get really frustrated with their computers. The first language(computer!) I spoke was was APL ( A Programming Language) and remember banging my head against the printer many days on end(no monitors back then), so ease up. Opinions are like "_____les" everyone has one, if someone asks a question and you can answer it, do, if not, cork it.

Last edited by toomanycats; 29 Apr 2006 at 11:29 AM
Old 23 Apr 2006, 09:54 AM   #3
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

I would love a handheld unit that could be programmed in APL and have some controlled outputs for controlling homemade gizmos. I have found BasicStamps to time consuming, of course I am old and slow now.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 09:56 AM   #4
Digital Video Master
Digital Video Master

I had dvd43 on my computer. I ended up removing it.
Why?
Not because I hated it. I deleted it simply because it was not being updated on a current basis and could not decrypt newer dvd's. It was simply a functional issue for me.
DVD43 is not alone. Good apps like dvdxcopy went a similar route.
Just my thoughts.
Have a good night.

BTW, does anyone know if the rumor that dvdidle bought out dvd43 is true??

Last edited by jamoskeag3; 23 Apr 2006 at 09:59 AM
Old 23 Apr 2006, 10:36 AM   #5
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

DVDIdle says that they have the "souce" of DVD43 and are offering it for sale with updates. I wonder if the political pressure from the Busch Admin. on China has anything to do with it? I too will delete it if the updates don't continue, or don't work. It sure does work on a lot of older stuff though. In my hometown, the local blockbuster thru out 2000 old DVD's. My friend who runs the place didn't realize what was happening till his Bucket from his backhoe picked up a couple of hundred. We got some that were pretty good titles. You can thro them away but if you make copies of the garbage it is still illegal, crazy heh.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 11:14 AM   #6

Well..... I got rid of it cause i hated it, it would crash all the time mates!!!!
just kidding toomanykitties, don't hate it ,it would just conflict with other software!!!!

Last edited by shrink0; 23 Apr 2006 at 11:22 AM
Old 23 Apr 2006, 06:16 PM   #7
Digital Video Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanycats
DVDIdle says that they have the "souce" of DVD43 and are offering it for sale with updates. I wonder if the political pressure from the Busch Admin. on China has anything to do with it? I too will delete it if the updates don't continue, or don't work. It sure does work on a lot of older stuff though. In my hometown, the local blockbuster thru out 2000 old DVD's. My friend who runs the place didn't realize what was happening till his Bucket from his backhoe picked up a couple of hundred. We got some that were pretty good titles. You can thro them away but if you make copies of the garbage it is still illegal, crazy heh.
I think this was what you and Jamoskeag are talking about.
http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd43.htm

I don't have anything against anyone who uses DVD43, It is their 'right' to choose what they prefer.
But I have my own personal experiences with DVD43 which were not good and that's why I don't recommend it to any other members.

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD▒R
*Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD▒R
*BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD▒R
Old 24 Apr 2006, 01:19 AM   #8
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

Jamoskeag3: Buying Dvd-XCopy was the biggest waste of money. Even when it was legal and updated, it still sucked. I couldn't stand the disclaimer in the copy. And Shinko: it's toomanycats, man, though kittens are cool, and tasty!!
Old 24 Apr 2006, 06:56 AM   #9

Friend of mine has Xcopy. He still tries to use it. I make fun of him a bit for that. Just too stubborn to use something that works well and is free, I guess. After he spent the money, he seems determined to use it! When you're that stubborn, you deserve to get picked on a little!
Old 24 Apr 2006, 07:15 AM   #10
Not a god of digital video

@toomanycats - you can get rid of the lame XCopy disclaimer (easiest way would be kill playback in PgcEdit). Harder to increase their quality though

As for your initial rant, see here for why so many folks don't like DVD43.

Regards
Old 24 Apr 2006, 07:22 AM   #11
Digital Video Master
Digital Video Master

Talking

toomanycats,
i never bought dvdxcopy (think it cost around 100USD), nor have i ever used it. But like Aeg, i have a friend who still uses it for non arccos protected dvds. I never liked the disclaimer part either, and apparently, neither did the courts.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 07:32 AM   #12
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

I bought Dvd X-Copy and a week after I got it I was watching TechTV (remember that!!) and they had a blurb about DvdDecrypter and I never looked back. I think Decrypter was the best, I like DvdFab a lot but Dvd43 is great because you can go straight to DvdShrink. As far as conflicts I only had CD/DVD burning conflicts which went away when DV43 was shut off, though since not being able to do Arccos it's days may be numbered. Captain Red if you are reading this, my fingers are crossed, down with Arccos!!
Old 24 Apr 2006, 07:52 AM   #13

I know it's convenient to go straight to shrink, but many folks prefer to use their hard drives for operations due to speed and not placing undue wear and tear on the DVD drive.

Regards
Old 24 Apr 2006, 08:14 AM   #14
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

I didn't know that DVD43 put extra work on your DVD Drive. The movie has to be read to be put on your hard drive. It has to be burned to put on your Dvd media. Those steps are integral to all operations. There is less work on the system overall if you just use DvdShrink, and Dvd drives are so cheap now most people should upgrade, (Lite-On reads most Audio CD's so you can play them on your computer). Of course I am a Main movie only person so I could be missing something.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 08:17 AM   #15

I agree that drives are cheap but a rip takes say 15 minute, while an encode can take double or more time. And who wants to replace them? A good strategy might be to use an old drive (say a DVDROM or a drive used prior to an upgrade to DL) for "reading" and a new drive just for writing.

Regards