Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Boycotts/Protests/Petitions/Rants

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29 Dec 2006, 07:53 AM   #1
To Infinity And Byond

Default High Definition Causes Actors Concern

As I have mentioned before, the high resolution of HDTV and Blu-Ray is causing concerns in Hollywood. Actors are now having to go through new makeup routines to cover up little imperfections not seen on regular resolution tv and DVD's.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n.../hdnactors.jpg

The link above is to a scanned newspaper article and uploaded for display.

The article is from the Associated Press.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer
Old 29 Dec 2006, 09:59 AM   #2
Not a god of digital video

Maybe they are human, after all RFBurns

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Old 29 Dec 2006, 10:03 AM   #3
Banned

Would love to see an actor boycott against Sony and Disney.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 10:35 AM   #4
To Infinity And Byond

LOL blu...it just might bring em down to earth!

I think also that with the current titles that have been out on standard DVD and in the process of being Blu-Ray-ed, there might be some stink raised as well.

Im watching the Blu-Ray version of The Fifth Element, and comparing it to its standard DVD counterpart. You can definately see the bumps, covered over dimples and pimples etc on the Blu-Ray version! You can also see the imperfections within the film material itself. If one were to examine it more closely, you can see the film chemical elements dance around from frame to frame.

I would imagine that in later releases of these conversions, they would touch up and remove these imperfections that are natural in the film itself.

Looks like putting some investment into makeup manufacturing might be a good addition to one's investing portfolio.

Old 29 Dec 2006, 10:42 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
You can definately see the bumps, covered over dimples and pimples etc on the Blu-Ray version!
you can see still see them from a relatively crappy 12mbps 1080i mpeg2 broadcast-->720p x264:

Old 29 Dec 2006, 10:43 AM   #6

Think of how poor old Jack Nicholson will turn out!

And what will become of older actresses? Who will wanna play a part where the role calls for an actress in the 30-50 age group????

Regards
Old 29 Dec 2006, 10:44 AM   #7
Super Moderator

tommy lee jones is one you don't wanna see in HD; it made me jump
Old 29 Dec 2006, 10:59 AM   #8
Interstellar Traveler

or Robert Redford .....

the ones that are in a real panic are the VAIN ones ... doubt if RR falls in the click ...
Old 29 Dec 2006, 11:11 AM   #9
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

It will be a boom for the plastic surgeons that is for sure!!

When you go to the theater and see actors on a 30 foot tall screen, the imperfections definitely stand out.

A scarier picture would be Mick Jagger.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 01:22 PM   #10

Or worse .... blutach

Regards
Old 30 Dec 2006, 01:43 AM   #11

I have just finished film school where they were all adament film was the way to go. And I thought fanboys only lived in the browser/OS world. Oh no, they get pretty dirty when you argue which is better, HD or Film. Both have their pros and cons. The problem mentioned in this thread, is just one of the cons of HD.

But it is so much easier to shoot! Also a bit more costly. But I won't get into all that.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 02:47 AM   #12
Interstellar Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary D View Post
A scarier picture would be Mick Jagger.
Even scarier would have to be Keith Richards .... wasn't it he who played one of the rotten corpses in "PotC: Dead Man's Chest" without any makeup ..... hehehe .....

Trivia:
=====
Rolling Stone Keith Richards was set to make a cameo appearance as the father of Captain Jack Sparrow, but Richards had to pull out of the project due to his commitment with the Rolling Stones world tour. Johnny Depp had previously said that his performance as Jack Sparrow was based on Richards.

AX
Old 30 Dec 2006, 09:53 AM   #13
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by linx05 View Post
I have just finished film school where they were all adament film was the way to go. And I thought fanboys only lived in the browser/OS world. Oh no, they get pretty dirty when you argue which is better, HD or Film. Both have their pros and cons. The problem mentioned in this thread, is just one of the cons of HD.

But it is so much easier to shoot! Also a bit more costly. But I won't get into all that.
My brother edits TV for a living. He prefers digital over 1/2 inch tape because of the speed of use. But a 23 minutes show could be 40 GB in size as the final product. After the editting, it is sent out of their editting house and sent on elsewhere for audio leveling and then finally shrunked.

The owners/producers of the show prefer digital because the final product is then easier to sell in the home market than VHS because a production step is already done.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 11:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienX69 View Post
Even scarier would have to be Keith Richards .... wasn't it he who played one of the rotten corpses in "PotC: Dead Man's Chest" without any makeup ..... hehehe .....

Trivia:
=====
Rolling Stone Keith Richards was set to make a cameo appearance as the father of Captain Jack Sparrow, but Richards had to pull out of the project due to his commitment with the Rolling Stones world tour. Johnny Depp had previously said that his performance as Jack Sparrow was based on Richards.

AX
My favourite restaurant here in Melbourne has a pic of the proprietor with Mick and Keith when they were here a few years back. They were pockmarked then and that was just an 8 x 10. Imagine it now in HD.

Great holiday thread RFBurns.

Regards
Old 31 Dec 2006, 03:16 AM   #15
Digital Video Enthusiast
Digital Video Enthusiast

I don't think the actors and actresses should worry too much. HDTV doesn't make them worse actors, just more like the average Joe.

We have already seen most of them at their ugliest: divorces, dui arrests, mouthing racial slurs, candid shots in the National Inquirer, to name a few. Yet we still shell out money to see them in the movies and buy their DVDs.

@ Blu - Rene Russo can play all the 30-50 yr old parts. She's pretty awesome. Hope I look that good at her age!

My Gallery