Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Boycotts/Protests/Petitions/Rants

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21 Nov 2001, 05:27 PM   #1

Red face Macrovision SUCKS

Macrovision is the worst form of "copy protection" I have ever seen. Before I got my new television, I had to run my dvd player thru the VCR. Every damn time I watch something "CPd" I had to disabled Craprovision b/c it was activated through my vcr no matter what. I put up with this shit for months...and finally outputted my DVD player to my new TV directly...no more Craprovision.

Copy protection is useless. Always has and always will be.
Old 21 Nov 2001, 07:52 PM   #2

i got a really cheap DVD-Player... its the gold old "Cyberhome"... up to Version SDL528 you can deactivate Macrovision directly in your DVD-Player. Perhaps that is possible with your player, too...

just search the web...

have fun
Old 23 Nov 2001, 03:16 AM   #3
PHP Guru

I also have the DVD Player. I have managed to deactivate the region encoding (which is really easy, as you probably know) - but how do you deactivate the Macrovision?
Old 23 Nov 2001, 12:54 PM   #4

you could also get an apex...they are firmware upgradeable to be region free and macrovision free.they also play ALMOST every format of discs

http://brightideasdigitalmedia.com
Old 23 Nov 2001, 08:54 PM   #5

in my menu, i can choose "macrovision" and set it to "0" or "1". If i set it to "0", macrovision is deactivated.
Old 23 Nov 2001, 10:32 PM   #6
Administrator

I've also got an Apex (but here in Australia, they are rebadged as Hitekers) - the old AD-600A still with the built in "hidden" menu for auto/manual region selection and macrovision on/off. It does have a few problems with branching discs (eg. Independence Day, T2 : Ultimate DVD Edition), but works great with the rest of my discs. I've also got a newer model of the Apex, which doesn't have the menu, but can be made region/macro free using a firmware flash CD.

If DVD players had RF outputs to connect to TVs that doesn't have composite/S-Video inputs, then I can understand the need for Macrovision - I do not want to have to purchase an extra composite->RF converter (or a new TV), just so I can watch some DVDs.

Unfortunately, the situation is the same with DVD playback on computers with TV-output cards - and while there are some hacks that can make playback possible (http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/su...crovision.html), the situation is far from perfect.
Old 26 Nov 2001, 10:07 PM   #7

Default I hate it

Yep, it really sucks.

But I think it's normal that the makers have built in a security, otherwise it would be too easy. And is cracking not our idea of fun???
Old 2 Dec 2001, 12:08 PM   #8

Cool I Agree

I have to agree. Macrovision is starting to sound a bit like someone else we all know. Hmmmmmmmmm,,, anyone come to mind? I just want to view DVDs on a larger screen. If I wanted to make a copy for crying outloud, I'd just do it.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 08:02 AM   #9

In many countries you are alowed to make a backup of a movie. This is almost impossible with macrovision. So macrovision should be forbidden.