Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Boycotts/Protests/Petitions/Rants

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2006, 12:28 PM   #1
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Default Original previews not bypassable.

My kids were watching the original DVD (not back-up) of "Shark Tale"

The DVD starting by playing 2 previews before going to the main menu.

I tried to fast forward or jump to the main menu, and the DVD structure prevent me from going to the main menu!

I hate forced upon advertising for anyone (especially children). I think this is a good enough reason why I copy my kids DVDs. I can remove these previews and have the main movie start playing automatically.

Just my 2 cents on the studios' marketing ploy!
Old 24 Jul 2006, 12:33 PM   #2
Demigod of Digital Video

that is the sign of the devil alright

you tried all possible functions relating to this on the remote? i have not seen this yet - that's crappy indeed.
"You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
(An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Old 24 Jul 2006, 12:37 PM   #3
King of Digital Video
King of Digital Video

I have seen that problem in some dvd, you can't go forward just have to watch a whole thing first
Old 24 Jul 2006, 01:37 PM   #4
Just Trying To Help

Yes it does happen but I haven't seen it on kids dvd's before. Somebody should get an a$$kicking.

Old 24 Jul 2006, 02:32 PM   #5
BR7
He is coming to your little town!

I have seen also it seems to be geting more common

My Blu-ray Collection
Old 24 Jul 2006, 09:23 PM   #6
An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker

@Gary D, I agree it is total BS....like commercials on pay TV (cable channels) and lets hope ABC (I think it was) doesn't put enuff pressure on the DVR mfr's to do away with the fast forward button
Old 25 Jul 2006, 12:31 AM   #7
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

That's why I copy the main movie only. You get the same quality of the original but non of the bull.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 12:48 AM   #8
Not a god of digital video

@Gary_D

A friend of mine said - "What can be authored can be de-authored. Without vision, we are blind to opportuity".

All DVDs can be made to skip annoying intros (except the originals you complain about). An easy way is to remove IFO PUOps. Then you can call the menu easily with the remote.

Even better is PgcEdit's jump to PGC on DVD Insert macro. Check it out.

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Old 25 Jul 2006, 05:26 AM   #9
Oh Bugger! It's bust again!

Yeah, this is a real pain. In region 2 we have a really naff advert that runs along the lines of "You wouldnt steal a car, you wouldnt steal a handbag, you wouldnt......." Crap music, crap graphics, I hate the film before I even get to see it! Fortunatley you can fast forward through it, even if you cant skip past it. I bung the DVD in the player and leave the room to get the popcorn while it's on! The movie companies just keep wasting their money putting this bilge on their DVD's and nobody watches it, never mind take any notice of what they say!!!

And relax.... and breathe again

The best thing for trees is a bloody big axe! Works for stupidity too!!
You have a problem? Search the forums, you 'aint the first person to have your problem thats for sure!!
There's a bloke called Blutach here somewhere, check out his signature. Loads of useful info in it!

Old 25 Jul 2006, 05:38 AM   #10
Interstellar Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach

All DVDs can be made to skip annoying intros (except the originals you complain about). An easy way is to remove IFO PUOps. Then you can call the menu easily with the remote.
I have seen this but have not tried yet, as I usually blank it out and do the first play ..... THX for the reminder blu ..... never know, might come in handy.

Seems like I've seen this on quite a few orig DVDs (more than I can count on two hands and feet) .... I've even had co-workers mention this in general chats ....

All I can say is r0lZ ....... you RULE !!!!!

AX

Last edited by AlienX69; 25 Jul 2006 at 05:41 AM
Old 4 Aug 2006, 01:58 PM   #11

Default On non-copied DVDs

If you hack your player (not sure what the site was, but I'll post it when I find it again), using the manufacturer setup menu all players have in their firmware, you can shut off the PUOs on open up the player entirely in most cases. I've only found two players to date that I couldn't open using the firmware menu, out of hundreds.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 02:30 AM   #12
Digital Video Enthusiast
Digital Video Enthusiast

If you are using the original DVD, you can hit the "next chapter" button on the remote and it will skip to the next preview.

I really hate those previews. All the new DVDs have them and its worse then the VHS. At least with the VHS you knew you could safely fast-forward ten minutes and then the movie would start!

My Gallery