Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Boycotts/Protests/Petitions/Rants

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24 Jun 2006, 11:04 AM   #1

Default Petition For Sony

Thought this would be a good thread to start
This is going to be directly mailed, email, & faxed to SONY for their dvd encryptions

1.dykzeulb
Just copy and paste the names above, number your name correctly and I will do what I can from there, thanks to all those who participate!

Last edited by dykzeulb; 24 Jun 2006 at 01:17 PM
Old 24 Jun 2006, 11:15 AM   #2
Not a god of digital video

What are you trying to say, other than giving out your real name?

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Old 24 Jun 2006, 01:17 PM   #3

It's a petition to set back sony's encryption levels while there is still time
Old 24 Jun 2006, 01:21 PM   #4
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

And what fun or challenge would that be?????
Old 24 Jun 2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Queen of Digital Video
Queen of Digital Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykzeulb
It's a petition to set back sony's encryption levels while there is still time
I am sure that will work.

Ever work for a big company? Some one that answers phones and sorts mail will look at it laugh and throw it away. Good luck though.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Last edited by photo_angel2004; 24 Jun 2006 at 01:43 PM
Old 24 Jun 2006, 02:03 PM   #6
Just Trying To Help

Well I admit I was sceptical but it must have worked because encryption levels on all my Sony backups are "zero".

Old 24 Jun 2006, 02:21 PM   #7
Demigod of Digital Video

"You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
(An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Old 24 Jun 2006, 02:43 PM   #8

I think most of the senior members here will hate if sony stop challenging them.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 03:40 PM   #9
Not a god of digital video

The petition is a joke but not against forum rules.

Let's not ridicule poor dykzeulb but rather wish him luck.

As for me, I couldn't care less how they protect their copyright. It's their business.

Regards
Old 24 Jun 2006, 04:09 PM   #10

Lol, just thought it'd be a good post...Afulle03 made a big deal bout it & I thought it was funny...
Old 25 Jun 2006, 01:05 PM   #11
Digital Video Technician
Digital Video Technician

That's just like petitioning the government to do something about gas prices! Good idea in theory, but it would never really work!

Doesn't matter anyway, I think people here look forward to the challenge. Just more puddles to jump over!!

Check for Firmware Updates HERE.
Read THIS to Find Out How to Find and Post Your Nero Log.
READ the Golden Rules of Burning.

Knowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens
- Jimi Hendrix
Old 26 Jun 2006, 02:56 PM   #12
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

I guess I am chicken. I would rather lay low and not let them know where the best information for "doing what we do" is. Why stick your head up when the hunter says "gobble gobble gobble"? I asked this question once before but never really got an answer. How well are our identities protected here? I wouldn't want to be hung for some mega-corporation to prove a point on, even if I ended up being right. Blu is right, the petition is a joke. I always was taught pick your own fight, and on your own terms. I don't think Sony would care anyway. I worked on their TV's for years and they had the same tuner problems for 15 of those years and never bothered fixing them, so why bother.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 07:33 AM   #13
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

there will always be smart people who will crack their protections and again we shall laugh as last
Old 27 Jun 2006, 11:37 AM   #14
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

It's a good thing Sony only sells the kind of DVD burners and blank disks for data writing. I don't understand Sony's paranoia.

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

The Golden Rules of Burning
Old 28 Jun 2006, 02:05 AM   #15
To Infinity And Byond

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanycats
I worked on their TV's for years and they had the same tuner problems for 15 of those years and never bothered fixing them, so why bother.
Heh, you got that right! RCA--Real Crummy Apparatus-- had the same problem with their early CTC series chassis, and allowed a major design flaw to carry over into several so called revised chassis, never correcting the grounding problem around the tuner section which was built onto the main PC board instead of a tuner module. Always zapping out the EEPROM and an inductor coil feeding the HOT transistor would develop poor solder connections and wipe out the high voltage and power supply circuits.

As far as Sony and the encryption blah blah, I really dont think it is just Sony's fault. I think the decision comes from elsewhere and Sony just follows along as a major distributor and manufacturer of movie DVD's. I am sure they have a set of guidelines they must follow per the Hollywood studios and producers/directors/writters etc.

And as one member pointed out, there will always be someone out there cracking away at these encryption schemes and wala, some lil program gets posted on the net.

I think a fair solution would be for the manufacturers of drives and stand alone burners and even players could put into the firmware, some code that would allow a one time copying of a DVD authorized with a special code that is either put onto the DVD itself or entered by the customer via the remote control or playback program so as to unlock the disc to allow one time backup, and encoding the backup so that it cannot be copied again, and the firmware would recognize this and recognize the original has been copied.

If suitcase sized nukes can be built, I think some kind of solution could be done with this DVD backup copying buisness and it would not be byond economic nor technical ability.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer