Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Boycotts/Protests/Petitions/Rants

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2008, 09:24 PM   #1
NOT an online superstore

Default Sony's "Support" Department

I have been fed up with Sony lately.

A month or so ago, I called about my portable 8" DVD player. This is the model seen at almost all Sony Style stores, only I got it before it went mainstream (it was brand new at Best Buy and they didn't have displays in every store like they do now).
I called them about 11 months into the 1 year warranty, as something started to break in the motor. After 15-30 minutes of watching a DVD, it would just stop spinning and hence freeze. The only solution I found is to turn it off and on again. But then I have to wait a minute or two for the loading process.

I called Sony and asked if I could get a replacement. The gentleman (Indian, of course) explained that I was out of warranty. I asked "But don't I have a 1-year warranty?" He said "You have a 1 year parts and 90 days labor warranty". I said "If I get a replacement... that's PARTS, not LABOR, how the heck am I out of warranty?" To which he replied that he needed to put me on hold and talk to a supervisor. A few minutes later, he said that there was no way to repair it, and it would cost me $33 to replace it. I told him to shove off and hung up.

Just a few days ago, I called about a pair of headphones that were broken. I've been using Sony's foldable over-the-head earphones for years, and it seems that every few months I have to replace them. I thought to myself, I mayaswell take up THEIR time since they have such a short life span. Now, of course, headphones have no serial number, so they can't look up warranty status.
The lady asked me when I bought them, I said "around Christmas", since I didn't even remember... and she said it was only a 90 day warranty. (Funny, last year it was a 1 year) She then said it would take $54 to fix them. I was like "$54? On a $15 pair of headphones? Go kill yourself" and again hung up.

Anyone else fed up at major electronics companies' lack of support? That first guy clearly had NO IDEA what he was doing, as it was within the 1 year parts warranty and I should have been able to get a free replacement. I may have my mom call back, she typically won't stop nagging until they do replace whatever needs replacing.

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀šŰǹt̉ếř
Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
My DVD Collection
Old 28 Apr 2008, 10:40 PM   #2
Not a god of digital video

Quote:
(Indian, of course)
This goes against our policies on racial vilification.

Who cares what his nationality was?

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Old 28 Apr 2008, 10:55 PM   #3
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
Who cares what his nationality was?
Hmmm... a poignant pause.....Oh! Come on!!!
It's a SONY.

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF
Old 28 Apr 2008, 11:25 PM   #4

@pagla

Have you been watching the Bangladeshi Bullsh1t Artists versus the Delhi Llamas?

(AKA the IPL)

Regards
Old 29 Apr 2008, 03:35 AM   #5
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

i found IPL / ICL good time pass of 3 hrs or so when u have nothin to do, epecially when u have no movies to watch and all crap on cable.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 04:45 AM   #6
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Blu , you are growing too old for your own good ! Who said IPL was only (if at all) about cricket ?
Old 29 Apr 2008, 08:53 AM   #7

Well, as I said before, it is entertaining and it is here to stay. I saw Dhoni's innings last night. Gee, we didn't see him perform at all in Australia, but on the "roads" they rollout for this T20 junk, he can sure hit the ball.

I heard Gilly made some runs the other night, too. The game, in whatever form, will be less due to his retirement.

What I hate about the T20 "game" is that there is no evenness - the bowlers are cannon fodder on a track that is not at all helpful to them. They may as well eliminate them and have bowling machines.

Regards
Old 29 Apr 2008, 10:22 AM   #8
NOT an online superstore

Sorry for any misconceptions, if anyone was offended.

I actually recorded the call about the DVD player... if I can figure out how to download calls from 321-CALL-LOG (free call recording service), I'll blip my personal info out and upload it, since I think it's a good representation of their "support".

For those of you who use Dell, it's pretty much the same. When I bought my computer, Dell had unlimited support, and you could call and ask them pretty much anything. I asked one of their technicians to walk me through reformatting (since I had a virus), and he did a great job of it. And then they introduced their "helpdesk". When I called the same number that was in my speed dial, the technician told me that he was hardware support, and that he couldn't help me. I replied with "What, did you guys just forget how to reformat hard drives?" He replied that while he did know, he wasn't allowed to tell me since it wasn't free anymore.

I called their Helpdesk and explained that I bought my computer in 2002 and it came with free lifetime support. The lady said "No, that's just HARDWARE support." I said "Um, support is support, you didn't divide it up back then." She didn't seem to hear and wanted to charge me a little under $100 for one issue.

Since then, I haven't called Dell, and many of my friends refuse to do so as well. Are they that desperate for money that they dumb down their technicians and replace them with a few good ones who charge massive cash for a little help? Personally I find these forums are a good place for Windows help

(now if only someone at Sony could give me that kind of support for free...)
Old 29 Apr 2008, 10:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Since then, I haven't called Dell, and many of my friends refuse to do so as well.
Seems that is precisely what they wanted. I would have peppered them with calls, including their supervisors.

Regards
Old 29 Apr 2008, 12:17 PM   #10
NOT an online superstore

What, they wanted us to all ignore them? How can you make money off that?
I have always wanted to call and chew them out, but somehow chicken out at the fact that if I ever need serious support, they'd recognize me. But those guys who did the Vader-Microsoft prank, two thumbs up

Oh, another company that sorta pisses me off is Micro$oft. Theirs is about 50% (I give them 5/10), half their calls are fine but half make me want to rip my hair out in frustration. It seems now you can only have two support calls per XP key? When did that happen? I made about 20 before they changed to that format...

Since I have a Zune, I've called Zune support quite a bit since it's faster than using forums. I had a guy once ask my name 3 times! I did record that one, my friends and I couldn't stop laughing when I replayed it.
But they once told me to try something, which only made the problem worse. While I was on hold, I fixed it by messing around with settings, and the technician failed to understand that I already solved it. He told me to try something else which further broke it, and I had to then go fix it myself. Yeah, that's support all right.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 01:23 PM   #11
Super Moderatress

The nice thing with Vista is that you can call Microsoft as much as you want for free the next months - even with an OEM version.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 09:17 PM   #12
NOT an online superstore

Well my school has about 400 computers, all with XP keys on the side. I doubt they've used their 2 free calls yet

And I seriously plan on trying that once mine run out. I'm not using them install Windows... just to get support, and the school has its own people for that.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 10:50 PM   #13
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfsupercenter View Post
I'm not using them install Windows... just to get support, .

no difference in both of the things
Old 30 Apr 2008, 01:42 AM   #14
NOT an online superstore

How?

Using their keys to install Windows would be illegal, but using them to get free tech support's just sticking it to the man.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 09:02 AM   #15

@drf

Not only are you violating M$'s license, you are using up your school's property (ability to call M$ and obtain free advice if something goes awry with one of its computer) without its permission. This is a form of stealing.

Even if they don't put a stop to you, I will stop this thread.

Be very grateful you don't get a further infraction for referring to pirated content.

Regards