Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Nero Recode

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 1 Aug 2007, 07:31 PM   #1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 172
Exclamation-2 Acceptable Bitrate Limit w/ DA & AEC

curious as to what you guys think is the low end of acceptable bitrates when using DA & AEC.

some of my testing:

~3800kbps w/ DA & AEC (max sharp) yielded video indistinguishable from the original while watching. frame by frame comparison was indistinguishable in 95% of the frames, the other 5% being highly detailed scenes were only distinguishable if you looked very very closely; nothing you could notice while watching moving picture.

~3500kbps w/ DA & AEC (max sharp) yielded excellent quality video (almost indistinguishable) while watching. frame by frame comparison was indistinguishable in 85% of the frames, the other 15% exhibited very minor blocking, possibly noticeable while watching depending on your viewing setup.

~3200kbps w/ DA & AEC (max sharp) yielded poor results over all. blocking in most frames. noticeable while watching.

please share your experiences and test findings!
xdjoynerx is offline  
Old 2 Aug 2007, 12:40 AM   #2
Not a god of digital video
 
blutach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: is everything!
Posts: 24,627
Default

Please see compression explained in my signature.

As well, other factors like Quant need to be considered, not just bitrate.

But typically, 3500+ should be good enough, even on big screens, if the quant (compression) is low. In any event, you should use a high quality encoder rather than a transcoding solution.

Regards
__________________
Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]


You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

blutach is offline  
Old 3 Aug 2007, 10:30 PM   #3
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 172
Default

can you elaborate more on how quantization fits in? also, if you have numbers (or ratios) as to acceptable quantization levels in relation to bitrate it would be appreciated too!
xdjoynerx is offline  
 

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is your acceptable level of compression? Spacker_Dave General Discussions 13 25 Mar 2007 05:00 PM
Acceptable Compression msteis General Discussions 3 3 Oct 2004 08:12 PM
Acceptable AVI resolution smaclee General Discussions 2 28 Aug 2002 06:05 AM



All times are GMT +10. The time now is 04:13 PM.

Kirsch designed by Andrew & Austin


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1999 - 2018 Digital Digest

Visit DivXLand   Visit dvdloc8.com