Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Disc Formats > DVD Blank Media, Burning, Recording Hardware

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 6 May 2010, 03:24 PM   #1

Default burning problems with Nero 7- Disc skipping/freezing

Hello everyone.

I'm new to DVD burning/authoring, and seem to be having some quality issues. Any help would be appreciated.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum, if it is, will the mods please relocate it to the correct place?

I have NERO 7 Platnum on a laptop.
Dell Inspiron 1520
Core Duo 2GHz
1.18Ghz. 3GB of Ram

I have some videos from a Flip Video Camera

We made a DVD in Nero Vision. Imported the Flip Video, Added music, and added a slideshow, Credits, Title, Etc.

The DVD is 2 titles, one movie with 8 chapters, and a slideshow. Both with music.

If you watch it in the Nero preview, it's fine.

Burn it to a DVD it burns fine, no errors.
I'm burning it in high quality, (2 passes, VBR), and at 4X

Watch the DVD on a DVD player, and after 5 mimutes, it begins to act buggy, music starts to drop out, then it will freeze, until you fast forward or skip past that part. Then it's fine for a while, and does the same thing. This happens on the movie as well as the slideshow.

I've burnt 6 discs, on Maxell DVD-R's, and Memorex DVD+R Dual Layer. I get the same problem. Some burns are better than others, but they all exhibit the same problem in varying degrees.

Tried 2 different DVD players as well. One a $600 standard DVD player, the other a $300 blu-ray. Same prolem on both.

I can dig up a log file if that will help.

The picture quality is great (i'm actually quite impressd with it, watched it on my 92" and it was quite good), it's just the freezing up, like a scratched rental DVD does.

I'm also open to suggestions on other/better authoring software if it's that NERO is crap, but I was under the impression that for general non pro stuff, they were pretty good. Don't know if Windows Movie Maker 2 is better/worse, but I guess i'd still need to do a mpeg2 conversion from that?

Thanks in advance for any help. We have this 1 hr long movie my wife worked very hard on, and are just trying to get a clean copy to family.
Old 6 May 2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Super Moderator

- burn at lowest speed
- try another burning engine (many of us prefer Imgburn and dont even use nero anymore)
- maybe the conversion used settings which are slightly off standard (bitrate, resolution etc)?
Old 7 May 2010, 01:38 AM   #3
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

It would be good to see a burn log. So many possibilities in addition to. UncasMS's reply.

HERE is info of where to find it if you don't know already.

Maxell's are not the best media. Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden and even Sony would be better options.

Good Luck

Old 9 May 2010, 03:38 AM   #4
Just trying to learn...

I assume that you're running Windows XP, as Windows 7 does not like Nero 7 and will produce TERRIBLE burns. In any event, ditto on the suggestion of UncasMS re: ImgBurn.