Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Blank Media, Burning, Recording Hardware

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2005, 12:52 PM   #1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Question IfoEdit - Failed to Note Main Movie w/ DeCrypter

From the DVD Backup Guide for DVD Backup using IfoEdit here: http://www.dvdr-digest.com/articles/18_4.html , Important (Note) #1 from Step 1: Rip the entire DVD using DVD Decrypter, says...

You need to remember which title set and files contains the main movie.

and

Step 2 says to load the title set into IfoEdit.

I have a ripped movie on my hard drive that I ripped a long time ago and I didn't note at the time which files contained the main movie.

I'm not even sure whether I ripped it with Decrypter or Shrink, though it was probably Decrypter. (Is there a way to tell?) Attached is a screenshot of the list of files.

I'm going to guess the main movie title is VTS_01_x.VOB where x is 1 through 7. I might also guess that VTS_01_0.VOB and VTS_01_0.BUP are not in the main title because in the example in the guide (under Important #1) the example movie has a very similar looking file list and those two files are not in the that main movie title.

Do you think I'm guessing correctly here? Could I can proceed with these files? I was thinking of including the above two VTS_01 files anyway to be safer (?). Will that screw anything up if they didn't actually need to be included?

I figure to try the burn onto DVD RWs and if it's successful just copy them over to DVD Rs later.

EDIT NOTE: I am in IfoEdit and it only gives me two IFO files to chose from: VTS_01 and VTS_02. i.e. It doesn't list all the VTS_x_x files seperately anyway. I'd say VTS_01 is the correct answer. It would seem I'm OK and on the right track here. (I think.)
Attached Thumbnails
IfoEdit - Failed to Note Main Movie w/ DeCrypter-magnolia-ripped-file-list-file-sizes.jpg  

Last edited by TomBrooklyn; 11 Jun 2005 at 01:03 PM
TomBrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2005, 03:05 PM   #2
Retired

Yes, based on the filesizes, it appears that Title 1 is the movie

No, based on the combined filesize, it doesn't seem that DVD Shrink was used...

If you have more questions, always feel free to ask them...
"Necessity is the Mother of Invention" - NOT a quote by Frank Zappa
setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2005, 03:48 PM   #3
Not a god of digital video

VTS_01_0.VOB is a small menu. The main menu could be in VIDEO_TS.VOB. It's hard to tell.

Take the BUPs - they are copies of the IFOs and are necessary.

Don't forget to do a Get VTS Sectors.

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2005, 02:55 AM   #4
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

open the vob in wmp or similiar and see what it plays.
tigerman8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2005, 06:44 AM   #5
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerman8u
open the vob in wmp or similiar and see what it plays.
Hi folks. Thanks for the assistance. In Windows Media Classic I was able to play Disk 1 fine but not Disk 2. Disk 2 was recognized but wouldn't play.

I checked a few things, and found one apparent error but it still didn't play. Due to time constraints I abandoned the effort and burned the backup to one disk. I'll take anohter crack at splitting to two disks with IfoEdit another time.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 06:56 AM   #6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach
Don't forget to do a Get VTS Sectors.
Hi blutach,
I did do "Get VTS Sectors", and after a couple of times that I went back and fixed something I redid it. I was wondering if it was proper or neccessary to redo it after any change or adjustment.