Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Blank Media, Burning, Recording Hardware

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2008, 02:10 AM   #1

Default Sony DVD-R at Costco

Hi.

I'm wondering how good these are? I have a local costco coupon which gives me BOGO for these. So basically I can get 200 for approx 28 bucks.

Any opinions on the quality of these discs? My last 400 have been TY premiums and I'm completely satisfied with them but lookin to save a few bucks.

Cheers!
whizkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2008, 02:12 AM   #2
Super Moderator

there will be differences between *R and -R but i was given sony +r dvd these days and i'd say i'd never ever buy this crap

the mediascans of this type look horrible as opposed to the tayo yuden +r i normally use
Old 31 Dec 2008, 09:25 AM   #3
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Lightbulb

@ whizkid ... If you are ARCHIVING your discs you are MUCH Better off getting TY stuff (or Verbs) ... otherwise after couple of years usage or even Storage your discs will "Deteriorate" and they will skip and stuff.

Pay few pennies more and you will enjoy your Archives for Years to come!

@ UncasMS ... I still have 100 TY -Rs ... but looks like +R might be the way!

G!
gonwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2009, 05:07 AM   #4

I'm still using TY-Rs, cause the time that I did try the +Rs there were giving me worst scans.
Now the -Rs are start to show up some good and some so so. I'm thinking of giving the +Rs another chance. I know the +Rs are suppose to give you a better product any ways, so I might just have to fork out the extra bucks.
ipaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2009, 03:04 PM   #5
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaulo View Post
I'm still using TY-Rs, cause the time that I did try the +Rs there were giving me worst scans.
Now the -Rs are start to show up some good and some so so. I'm thinking of giving the +Rs another chance. I know the +Rs are suppose to give you a better product any ways, so I might just have to fork out the extra bucks.
Hi iPaulo,

Forget about Scans ... you are going to make yourself go Crazy ... I am speaking from Experience!

As long as you are using the TY ... you are A-OK!

The only Benefit that I see with DVD+R is that if your DVD Burner can bitset it so you are set as far as being able to play the burned DVD in "any" Player.

G!
gonwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2009, 03:48 PM   #6

@gonwk, there was some article I read somewhere I can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else. It explain that there was a advantage of +R over -R besides bisetting to DVDRom. I think it was something about the way the data was written onto the blank or the way it is read back. I really can't recall it though.

The thing about the scanning is I was getting quality scores like 98 and 95 and now I never get a 98. I've had some in the 80s and to me that's almost unexceptable. So either I need a new burner or the quality of TYs are going down a little.
ipaulo is offline   Reply With Quote