Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Software Forums > DVD Rebuilder

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21 Jan 2007, 05:33 PM   #1
Digital Video Technician
Digital Video Technician

Default Change Target Size Of DVD To Test Filters

I am encoding some video and I want to see the changes in quality with diff. filter settings. I don't want to encode 2 hrs. of video when I can tell if I like the output after 5 minutes.

How do I chang the settings in DVD-RB so I can encode 20 minutes of video that I can compare to the same 20 mins. of video with other settings. DVD-RB is set for a DVD5 so I would have to make it think it needs to compress a 20 minute clip. Any ideas, I am using DVD-RB free 98.1 version with HCenc 19.1

BR7 has been helping with settings and I believe deen() and fluxsmooth(7,7) is better then deen() and fluxsmooth(5,7) I just want to run some other settings and not have to wait for the results.

Thanks in advance.

AV

Last edited by blutach; 21 Jan 2007 at 07:05 PM
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2007, 07:06 PM   #2
Not a god of digital video

You could stop after a few segments. Or blank the ones you don't want and set TargetSectors in the INI file.

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2007, 11:02 PM   #3
Digital Video Enthusiast
Digital Video Enthusiast

Just run PREPARE and then open one of the AVS files directly with Microsoft Media Player. You will see the effect of the filters right away. You can then simply make filter changes (to the AVS) with a text editor to see its impact.

If you want to see what it looks like after encoding, use CCE (or another encoder) and open the modified AVS files directly and encode. In the end, if you like what you see -- add the filter settings with the filter editor and rerun the entire disc.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2007, 01:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
If you want to see what it looks like after encoding, use CCE (or another encoder) and open the modified AVS files directly and encode. In the end, if you like what you see -- add the filter settings with the filter editor and rerun the entire disc.
Hmmm......... if I just open the *.avs in the encoder, where does the encoder get the control parameters for encoding from (i.e. bitrate, CBR/VBR etc) in order to really see how the final encode would look like? Not shure if I missed something ?

For testing purpose I usually blank all unwanted segments but the one I want to test, and set the bitrate of the segment that I want to encode by means of the slider in the beta viewer/editor. Then I hit the Rebuild button to author the test sequence as usual.

Requires the PRO version, though.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2007, 05:04 AM   #5
Digital Video Technician
Digital Video Technician

Default Target Sectors

@blu,

I looked at the files in the encoder folder for HCenc and I have HC.INI config settings. When I open it I see Bitrate 4000, Profile best, Matrix mpeg I don't see anything relating to target sectors.

The video files I am using are all in 1 so it is called VTS-01 and it has 22 segments

@jdobbs,

You can then simply make filter changes (to the AVS) with a text editor to see its impact. I can see the settings with Notepad but can't open to watch the video since Media Player doesn't recognize the file format of the AVS file??
Old 22 Jan 2007, 06:02 AM   #6
Digital Video Enthusiast
Digital Video Enthusiast

If AVISYNTH is installed, Microsoft Media Player should open and play AVS files. Right click on the .AVS file and select "Open With" then "Choose Program" and then select Microsoft Media Player.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 07:13 AM   #7
Digital Video Technician
Digital Video Technician

Default ?

@jdobbs, I have AVISYNTH installed since I use it with DVD-RB. Still get the error message clicking on the .AVS file. Do you mean to open the .m2v file that is built from the .avs file settings? For example, in the work folder I have a file called V0100001000102.AVS then V0100001000102.FLG then V01000010001002.M2V. When I click on the .M2V file it plays in Media Player with no audio. Do you mean the M2V file rather than the .AVS file or is Media Player to play the .M2V file since it is built from the coresponding .AVS file?
Old 22 Jan 2007, 08:43 AM   #8
Digital Video Enthusiast
Digital Video Enthusiast

No. An AVS file is a "simulated" AVI file that is run through the AVISYNTH drivers. The microsoft media player should very definitely play it -- it is the same mechanism that feeds th AVS to HC or CCE encoder...
Old 22 Jan 2007, 09:08 AM   #9
Digital Video Technician
Digital Video Technician

@jdobbs,

no they won't open up (.AVS files). I get the message about downloading a codec then I get the message saying file can't be played. I have check for codec automatically set, and firewall antivirus set very easy. Can you think of another player or what the problem maybe. I have Avisynth2.5 installed that came with the DVD-RB installer.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 11:50 AM   #10
Digital Video Enthusiast
Digital Video Enthusiast

Truthfully I can't imagine why it won't work... you shouldn't have to do anything special. It's possible you don't have a default YUV codec installed. Look in your video codec list (under device manager) and see if you have MSYUV.DLL installed -- I think it gets installed by default with windows.

Last edited by jdobbs; 22 Jan 2007 at 11:52 AM
Old 22 Jan 2007, 12:39 PM   #11
Super Moderator

virtualdub is ideal for viewing avisynth output, open the script with it and post the error message, if any.

for a yv12 decoder, download & install xvid

you might like to post your script too

anonymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2007, 04:36 PM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Just run PREPARE and then open one of the AVS files directly with Microsoft Media Player. You will see the effect of the filters right away. You can then simply make filter changes (to the AVS) with a text editor to see its impact.
The final encoded results will not be the same if you use this method. It doesnt work like that once encoded. The encoder will add its own artifacts/ impurities in the video.

The results from viewing on a MMP from a direct AVS
filtered stream are much better than the final results and should not be used for comparison purpose.

The best method is to take a clip from the source and change the targetsectors too low so that compression applied is equivalent to what will be applied to the original source and then change the avisynth filters accordingly for
the comparison clips.
techreactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2007, 10:39 PM   #13
Digital Video Enthusiast
Digital Video Enthusiast

Well, I guess it depends on your viewpoint... but filters are designed to apply some type of corrective or adjusting action against the source. What the encoder does will happen after-the-fact.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 04:30 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Well, I guess it depends on your viewpoint... but filters are designed to apply some type of corrective or adjusting action against the source. What the encoder does will happen after-the-fact.
okay, I think I need to clarify more, what I meant was that viewing an .avs file and the final result are not same and should not be used for comparison since the encoder will add/remove its own impurities while encoding.

Filters are meant to add correction to the video but ow the encoder will handle it, is a totally different topic.
techreactor is offline   Reply With Quote