Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Software Forums > DVD Rebuilder

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 5 Nov 2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Digital Video Technician
Digital Video Technician

Default Decomb Plugin for deinterlace

I was reading the section in DVD-RB about the option to select the AVS option of "deinterlace with Decomb". I am unsure what this really means and how the output quality may change. DVD-RB help section says to use it with Progressive scan PC monitors. I assume if you have a HD Progressive scan TV you should select this option. How would the output differ with a TV that isn't progressive scan? Is it worth selecting I see Ed Klein uses it in his settings, that's where it caught my interest.

Thanks everyone,

AV
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2006, 08:28 AM   #2
Digital Video Enthusiast
Digital Video Enthusiast

No. It should only be used for those folks who will be watching exclusively on a PC. A lot of PC playback software is simply terrible at playing interlaced sources. For those instances it can make viewing a little better. But quality software (e.g. PowerDVD) plays it back fine.

Deinterlacing should be avoided except in those rare instances The reason is that truly interlaced sources are made up of two fields that are interlaced together during playback. But the fields represent two distinct points in time. A lot of people misunderstand that and think the fields are two parts of the same picture. But in fact they are different pictures that are spaced apart by either 1/50th (PAL) or 1/60th (NTSC) of a second. When you deinterlace, the two fields are distorted in order to make a single picture -- and the result is almost always inferior to the original.

If you want to play around sometime, you can separate the fields of an interlaced source using AVISYNTH. Then view them back when you have something moving rapidly on the screen. You'll see movement from one field to the next -- even between two fields that will be interlaced together.

Last edited by jdobbs; 6 Nov 2006 at 08:34 AM
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2006, 09:51 AM   #3
Digital Video Technician
Digital Video Technician

Default Thanks

Thanks, jdobbs. It is nice to talk to the guy who writes the code for the program.

AV
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote