Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Software Forums > DVD Rebuilder

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3 Nov 2006, 02:22 AM   #1

Default DVD RB Pro: Multiple Encoder Processes

Of the freeware encoders, which ones can run 'multiple encoder processes'?
Of the commercial encoders, which ones can run 'multiple encoder processes'?

Thanks.

Old system: IC7G-maxII, dual channel 512Meg, HT; 2.8P4; Plex 716A - F.W. 1.10; ICH5R Raid0; SilImg RAID0.
gary172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2006, 04:18 AM   #2
BR7
He is coming to your little town!

To my knowledge HC and QuEnc can use it. Dont use it for AutoQmatEnc because it already has the feature built in.I never used ReJig so I am not sure about that one.If you have a slow computer I wouldn't use it

My Blu-ray Collection

Last edited by BR7; 3 Nov 2006 at 04:27 AM
BR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2006, 04:30 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply.
I just downloaded the latest HC019.1 and the .pdf release notes HC019 (in the misc folder) say 'On a multi-processor or hyperthreaded system, HC will use only one processor or thread'. Bummer

Last edited by gary172; 3 Nov 2006 at 04:35 AM
Old 3 Nov 2006, 10:06 AM   #5
Digital Video Enthusiast
Digital Video Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary172 View Post
Thanks for your reply.
I just downloaded the latest HC019.1 and the .pdf release notes HC019 (in the misc folder) say 'On a multi-processor or hyperthreaded system, HC will use only one processor or thread'. Bummer
That's why you need to run multiple instances of the encoder in order to take advantage of the additional processor/thread.

You can run multiple instances with every encoder except CCE. ReJig won't work either -- but it isn't an encoder.

Last edited by jdobbs; 3 Nov 2006 at 10:08 AM
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2006, 10:12 AM   #6
Not a god of digital video

@jdobbs - have you made some progress on the splashscreen/stealing focus/not running minimised issues with Procoder 2?

Regards
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2006, 10:52 AM   #7

Thanks again for your replies.
Thank you jdobbs. Too bad CCE won't work.

Re: "Dont use it for AutoQmatEnc because it already has the feature built in."

Does this imply I can use AutoQmatEnc and multi process encode with DVD RB (not Pro)? Their website is not clear on this (at least I couldn't find anything [yet]).

Best Regards
Old 3 Nov 2006, 03:07 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Thanks again for your replies.
Thank you jdobbs. Too bad CCE won't work.

Re: "Dont use it for AutoQmatEnc because it already has the feature built in."

Does this imply I can use AutoQmatEnc and multi process encode with DVD RB (not Pro)? Their website is not clear on this (at least I couldn't find anything [yet]).

Best Regards
Thats old info, with the newer versions of DVD RB-Pro and AQMEnc you can use 'multiple encoder processes' with AQMEnc also. Although AQMEnc itself detects the number of threads to encode based on the processor but this feature was incorporated only a few versions back in DVD-RB Pro with changes from SAPSTAR to the encoder too.

Anyways the Free version of DVD-RB does not have the feature to enable multiple encoders.
techreactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2006, 05:12 PM   #9
BR7
He is coming to your little town!

Sorry for the bad info I wasn't aware of that, it has been a while since I used AQM for some reason it wont work on my PC any more.All I have been using now is ProCoder 2
BR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2006, 12:26 AM   #10

@techreactor et al: So does the latest v of AutoQmatEnc already have the multiple encoding feature built in? How is it invoked?

Kindest Regards
Old 4 Nov 2006, 12:54 PM   #11
Digital Video Technician
Digital Video Technician

Default I don't understand

Jdobbs, not sure if I understand:

That's why you need to run multiple instances of the encoder in order to take advantage of the additional processor/thread

This option is only avaliable with the Pro version right???? The free version doesn't allow muntiple encoders. HCenc19.1 doesn't use dual core like gary172 mentions. Am I wrong? the dual clore option is only in the Pro version Rebuilder??

Great software Jdobbs.

AV
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2006, 05:58 PM   #12
Banned

Quote:
@techreactor et al: So does the latest v of AutoQmatEnc already have the multiple encoding feature built in? How is it invoked?

Kindest Regards
AQM from begining was a multi-thread encoder,(it uses max available threads, it can from a processor) and does not need to get invoked, its in the core of AQM.

Now the final release of AQM, also supports multiple instances and multiple threads.

Multiple instances feature is invoked from DVD-RB Pro only and part of the latest stable/final release of AQM and DVD-RB Pro also.
Old 4 Nov 2006, 06:06 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Jdobbs, not sure if I understand:

That's why you need to run multiple instances of the encoder in order to take advantage of the additional processor/thread

This option is only avaliable with the Pro version right???? The free version doesn't allow muntiple encoders. HCenc19.1 doesn't use dual core like gary172 mentions. Am I wrong? the dual clore option is only in the Pro version Rebuilder??

Great software Jdobbs.

AV
For HC encoder you are right, HC encoder does not use multiple threads by itself and thats where multiple instances available only in the Pro version help.

But you cannot say the same for AQMenc, it was from the begining a Multi-threaded encoder and how multiple-instances compatibility that SAPSTAR & JDobbs has now put in the previous stable release of AQM & RB, will enhance the performance is yet to be seen or results compared by testing it.

Although you can still use the RB free version with AQMenc and it will use the full power available in your CPU (even Dual cores) by increasing the number of thread for processing.

Last edited by techreactor; 4 Nov 2006 at 06:11 PM
Old 4 Nov 2006, 11:13 PM   #14
Digital Video Enthusiast
Digital Video Enthusiast

From the reports I get, I believe AQM speed increases somewhere on the order of 15% to 20% by running two instances if you have a dual core computer. That's less of an increase than you'd see with QuEnc or HC -- but still respectable. Of course it varies depending upon what CPU/Memory/Motherboard configuration you have, etc...

Last edited by jdobbs; 4 Nov 2006 at 11:17 PM
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2006, 03:01 AM   #15

Thank you very, very kindly for the very good replies. Now let's see if I understand.
If I have some system (dual core and/or HypThread):

-I can use HC and do multiple encoding processes ONLY with DVDRB Pro.

-I can use the latest v of AQM with DVDRB and get some benefit "by increasing the number of thread{s} for processing".

-I can use the final release of AQM, "{which} also supports multiple instances and multiple threads. Multiple instances feature is invoked from DVD-RB Pro only and part of the latest stable/final release of AQM and DVD-RB Pro also".

Next dumb question, but not the last: please explain diff between multiple instances and multiple threads.

Thanks again for your replies. Kindest REgards