Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Software Forums > DVD Rebuilder

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2006, 09:47 PM   #1

Default Enable 32K Padding

Is anyone running DVD Rebuilder with Enable_32K_Padding=1 enabled in the options? For me, when this option is enabled and mount the iso AnyDVD says "DVD is mastered incorrectly. AnyDVD will be disabled for this DVD". The DVD was burned flawlesly using ImgBurn and plays back fine on my standalone DVD. Just thought I'd see if anyone has similar results.
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2006, 10:05 PM   #2
Not a god of digital video

I saw some talk about this at doom9, and jdobbs made it a non-default (or even a hidden option) after that.

In my view, 32k gaps are logical, legal and desirable and are certainly not uncompliant. Many commercial DVDs have gaps in them. ImgBurn sets ECC boundaries for DL burns according to 32k gap rules.

I'd put the blame on AnyDVD for this one. But why would you need to run this DVD through AnyDVD anyway? It is unencrypted.

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2006, 12:01 AM   #3

I know that the DVD is unencrypted and it isn't nessary to have AnyDVD running but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only getting the error message. I guess you verified that the error wasn't due to DVD Decrypter or DVD Rebuilder. Thanks.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 02:15 AM   #4
Digital Video Enthusiast
Digital Video Enthusiast

The 32k gap is completely compliant -- but unfortunately not all software is. There are some packages that just don't know what to do when they see it. That's the reason I turned it off as default.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2006, 02:27 AM   #5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Is this a DL sized ISO? I don't see any mention of that in the original post. If it is a 4.7 size ISO, does ImgBurn still align on 32k gaps? If many commercial DVD have gaps, I've never had any problem with ANYDVD handling this properly. I've put hundreds of discs through anydvd.

Maybe Rack4 can play the burned disc and see if ANYDVD has a problem with this copy. If it plays fine through Anydvd, then the problem points to the driver that handles mounting ISO images.
windtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2006, 03:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtrader
Is this a DL sized ISO? I don't see any mention of that in the original post. If it is a 4.7 size ISO, does ImgBurn still align on 32k gaps? If many commercial DVD have gaps, I've never had any problem with ANYDVD handling this properly. I've put hundreds of discs through anydvd.

Maybe Rack4 can play the burned disc and see if ANYDVD has a problem with this copy. If it plays fine through Anydvd, then the problem points to the driver that handles mounting ISO images.
It is a SL ~4.3GB ISO that was mastered using DVD Rebuilder PRO. I am still not sure if the problem is associated with AnyDVD or VirtualCloneDrive. I will do some further tests. Unfortunately I already burned and deleted the ISO is question. I will re-rip the original and use the same DVD Rebuilder process.
Old 1 Jul 2006, 05:01 AM   #7
Digital Video Enthusiast
Digital Video Enthusiast

If it plays correctly on a player -- then the 32K gap is obviously correctly implemented. Otherwise all the offsets on the disc would be off and it would fail. Just a point to remember: even when you select to use 32k gaps, they won't be used except under certain circumstances.

Here's the background:

DVDs have a BUP file as a backup for each IFO. The idea is that in the event a bad scratch or other problem causes the IFO to fail -- it will use the BUP. On the disc they are physically stored like this:

VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP

So the VOB files are between the IFO and the BUP. In this configuration the BUP is normally quite a distance from the IFO. That's so the same scratch won't affect them both and make the disc unreadable.

The point of contention for gaps is that the DVD error correction code is based upon 32k units. So if you had a unit fail, anything within that same 32k block (of the "scratch") will also fail.

No big deal for the vast majority of discs... because the IFO and BUP are separated. But what happens when you have an IFO and BUP that has no corresponding VOB file(s) -- and the IFO is less than 32k long -- and a error correction boundary is positioned at that exact point? Then it's possible that a bad scratch might affect both of them. That set of circumstances is the only time 32k padding is needed or added.

It really isn't a big deal because the chances that you will have a disc of that particular format that gets a scratch at that exact point on a disc that would cause this exact set of circumstances to occur is so low as to disgard it as being within the realm of probabililty. So lots of software (most?) ignores 32k padding completely. Some don't know what to do with it when they do see it... but all compliant standalone players recognize it.

Last edited by jdobbs; 1 Jul 2006 at 05:11 AM
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2006, 08:32 AM   #8
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

Thank You jdobbs for the explanation. It is very informative and well explained. I just learned a whole lot, again Thanks.
copyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2006, 12:21 PM   #9
Not a god of digital video

This is one reason, I am sure, that we see those tiny menu VOBs that are never played of varying size 38k-358k in titlesets that are only used for navigation.

Regards
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2006, 02:43 AM   #10

The last thing I do before burning my DVD is loading it up in PGCedit and saving it with 32K Padding. Just to be sure.
linx05 is offline   Reply With Quote