Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Software Forums > DVD Rebuilder

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2007, 09:10 AM   #1

Question-2 Matrices

How do you use them? Should I change them or stick with the defaults? When do you need to a use matrix if compression is below 70%? If I'm using Pro Coder 2 do I NEED to even change the matrix since Pro Coder 2 is good at high compression. Does anyone use the Matrixs?
mike7778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2007, 10:41 AM   #2
Not a god of digital video

Please try to ignore % and look at bitrates (and quant). DVDRB tells you the bitrate after doing a prep and you can decide on an appropriate matrix then.

Procoder 2 will not accept a different matrix anyway. It has its own built in routines. If you wanna play with matrices, use CCE or better still, Hanks.

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Last edited by blutach; 14 Mar 2007 at 09:42 AM
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2007, 03:50 PM   #3
Banned

Matrices should be used based on the bitrates available for the encode. Usually I go with the default and only if medium-low bitrates are available I go with my tried and tested KVCD matrix, if the bitrates given are extremely low, I leave it to either Autoqmatenc encoder with QmatOp enabled or just use procoder.
techreactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 01:07 AM   #4
just farted

imo, the compression percentage does matter when choosing what matrix to use. for example, if the movie you're encoding has a high calculated bitrate in RB, but a fair amount of compression is needed, using a matrix intended for high bitrate (such as the FOX matrix) may not work so good.

i now use procoder for low bitrate encodes (under 3500-3800 bitrate). for anything at 3800-4000+, ill use CCE + AVAMAT6 matrix. anything above 4000 that requires little to no compression (90%+) ill use the matrix that was used in the film (extract it with RME) with CCE. if its over 4000 but a fair amount of compression is needed, ill use CCE + encoder default.
rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 04:14 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post
imo, the compression percentage does matter when choosing what matrix to use. for example, if the movie you're encoding has a high calculated bitrate in RB, but a fair amount of compression is needed, using a matrix intended for high bitrate (such as the FOX matrix) may not work so good.
DVD RB in its prepare stage will show the bitrates, after compression and not what the DVD originally has!!!

But if you understand the bitrates and compression used and can make a judgement based on them for the matrix to be used,.......good enough.
Old 14 Mar 2007, 11:09 PM   #6
just farted

Quote:
Originally Posted by techreactor View Post
DVD RB in its prepare stage will show the bitrates, after compression and not what the DVD originally has!!!

But if you understand the bitrates and compression used and can make a judgement based on them for the matrix to be used,.......good enough.
i realize that and thats the bitrate i was talking about (the calculated bitrate after compression).

Last edited by rahzel; 14 Mar 2007 at 11:11 PM
Old 15 Mar 2007, 07:41 AM   #7

After i did the prepare stage and get this
- HIGH/LOW/TYPICAL Bitrates: 4,504/1,899/2,675 Kbs Which number do I go by in determing which matrices to use? The last one?
Old 15 Mar 2007, 10:28 AM   #8
just farted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7778 View Post
- HIGH/LOW/TYPICAL Bitrates: 4,504/1,899/2,675 Kbs Which number do I go by in determing which matrices to use? The last one?
yup, the last one. 2,675 is a pretty low bitrate, so i would either use Procoder (if you have it) or a low bitrate matrix. if you use Procoder, just use the encoder default. if you use a different encoder, i suggest you get RME (rebuilder matrix editor) where you can preview matrices in small segments to get an idea what it will look like. if you download HC encoder from bitburners.com, it includes quite a few matrices, but you will have to import/convert them with RME.

with a bitrate that low, i would suggest you use procoder, as it appears you have it.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 04:45 PM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Max br is 4.5k, min is 1.9k, average is 2.6 k. Unless all of them are very low or Max and average is very low, even HCenc will do a good job of it, IMO.
Old 16 Mar 2007, 05:09 PM   #10

I got RME ans HC from bitburners how do i import the Matrices? Which are the best ones and how do I know what they do?
Old 16 Mar 2007, 05:11 PM   #11
Not a god of digital video

They are labelled Mike. High-High (4000+), High-Medium (4000), etc. IIRC, the rule of thumb is to use the matrix that is one below your average bitrate.

In DVD Rebuilder, it's a matter of selecting the matrix for each part of the movie. RME takes a little bit of setting up and getting used to but it's pretty intuitive.

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 16 Mar 2007 at 05:16 PM
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 09:52 PM   #12
just farted

Quote:
I got RME ans HC from bitburners how do i import the Matrices? Which are the best ones and how do I know what they do?
Click Import -> check .XCM and/or .CQM Files -> click on the "..." button and browse for the .CQM matrices in the HC folder.

the only matrices i took are fox home entertainment, fox2 and autoq1 (aka avamat6). fox/fox2 are good for high bitrate/low compression movies. autoq1 is excellent for lower bitrate, even low/mid bitrate. i use autoq1 with bitrates of 3000-4000. it will be good for lower bitrates as well, but i personally never go below 3000, as i always do movie/menu only with shrunk menus (via menushrink).

Last edited by rahzel; 18 Mar 2007 at 09:55 PM