Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Software Forums > DVD Rebuilder

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14 Sep 2006, 12:21 AM   #1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Odd error/bug?

IFOs generated by RB (v1.10.5) shows alternate audio tracks when they do not exist.

Scenario: Original movie was copied to HD using AnyDVD 6.0.5.1 and CloneDVD, movie only and 4 audio tracks. The output was confirmedL movie and 4 tracks do exist. This was loaded into RB in Backup mode (full) and one click mode. The RB Input Settings tab shows one video and the four audio tracks. I double clicked on the three alternate tracks which then display a red X, then ran RB.

The output seems fine: shrunk to fit, video and primary audio track only. EDITed - When playing movie, the player lists the three alternate tracks that are greyed out and not selectable. It seems RB should recognize the status of the red X'd tracks and created IFOs without the "ghost" tracks.

FYI I took that set of files and ran them through clonedvd, it recognized just the one main audio track and created IFOs without the ghost tracks.

Normally, I strip all unwanted streams off with CloneDVD then use Movie Only mode in RB to just reencode, so I never come across this situation.

thx.

Last edited by windtrader; 14 Sep 2006 at 03:18 AM
windtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2006, 06:46 AM   #2
Not a god of digital video

1. Preprocessing with Clone DVD (or anything) is not recommended.
2. What is happening is that there are discrepenecies between VMGM_MAT and VTSI_MAT tables and the actual streams. This is easily corrected in PgcEdit. Just open your DVD in PgcEdit and it will offer to fix them for you. Answer yes and save.

Oftentimes, these errors are authoring remnants left in - you may have seen DVDs trhat have 32 subtitle tracks declared but many fewer choices on the menu.

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2006, 01:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

@blutach - I did not report the conditions accurately in the prior post. I originally posted the alternate audio tracks show up and I selected them but there was no sound in any of them, only the primary track. Before I posted here I went back to double check the steps. What I forgot was I did use PGCEDIT to see if it could fix the problem. When it loaded up initially, it did not indicate any errors. I then set the alternate tracks to disabled and saved the DVD. When I played this version, the alternate tracks were greyed out.
When I loaded Pgcedit with this version, it pops up saying it found 4 audio streams but only 1 is used and asks if it should fix the VTSI_MAT to 1. This is as you stated above.

However, the problem is in DVD rb. Even though I used CloneDVD first, it did strip off the main title and the 4 audio tracks and create IFOS that reflected this fact. After setting and running DVD rb as described above, it should have detected that I had red X'd out the alternate tracks, leaving only the primary audio stream, and creating an IFO that was consistent with the content.

As there is an easy workaround, no big deal but I say this problem is with DVD-rb.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 11:38 PM   #4
Digital Video Enthusiast
Digital Video Enthusiast

I have my doubts that the problem is with DVD-RB. Rip it without the preprocessing (CloneDVD) and see if it works... my guess is that it will.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2006, 02:37 AM   #5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I tried it again, two times. First time, original disc into AnyDVD and CloneDVD, movie only, extracting the multiple audio streams. The output did have the tracks and player could select them properly. Ran that into RB, red Xing the alternates. The RB output is correct, just the single audio stream listed, nothing else.

Second time, ran original disc directly into RB and red Xed the alternate audio streams. This version also plays correctly, only primary audio, no secondaries.

I was not sure of the exact settings I used earlier in both CloneDVD and RB so these reruns might not reproduce the same thing. Anyway, no problem now so I'll side with you folks that the problem is not RB but some combination of IFO structure in the original disc and CloneDVD process that created IFOs that were somewhat irregular. Thanks for the support.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 08:14 AM   #6
Not a god of digital video

Glad you got it sorted out windtrader.

Regards
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote