Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Software Forums > DVD Rebuilder

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2006, 01:20 AM   #1

Default Question about output size

As a relatively newbie, I'm just starting to use DVD-RB after starting out with DVDShrink. I've done a couple backups and I've gotten smaller output sizes than I want. I'm hoping someone can help me with my methodology. For example, with "Finding Nemo" DVDShrink tells me the main movie has an uncompressed size over 4800mb. So, here's what I did...

With DVD-RB set to movie only, steal space 00%, HCEnc to 'Best' and removing extra audio/sub streams, I ran the Preparation phase and noticed a ton of extras got included, so I blanked them out. The preview pane said 1167mb were recovered and the feature bitrate increased to 5755kbs. I encoded with the HybridFuPP filter set to High. The process took 9.5 hours and the result looks great, but the final movie ended up at only 3400mb.

As good as the quality is, wouldn't it be even better if the extra 1gb of disk space was used? I'm used to DVDShrink automatically giving extra space to the main movie, and I thought DVD-RB was supposed to do the same. So where did I go wrong? Was it the Steal Space setting? I left it at 00% because I was running Movie Only mode and there weren't supposed to be any extras to steal from.

Any help will be appreciated.
TastyNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2006, 07:12 AM   #2
Not a god of digital video

Perhaps your movie only was uncompressed and the only thing you ended up doing was applying the filters and stripping the streams? That bitrate is already quite high.

Did you select movie only mode prior to prepare?

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Last edited by blutach; 16 Aug 2006 at 07:15 AM
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2006, 09:53 AM   #3
Digital Video Enthusiast
Digital Video Enthusiast

There is a point at which an encoder reaches what it considers to be a "perfect" reproduction of the original. At that point it cannot add additional bitrate -- and doing so could not improve the picture. It is called "encoder saturation" -- that is probably what has happened in your case. If so, using the additional 1GB would not improve the picture.

Last edited by jdobbs; 16 Aug 2006 at 09:55 AM
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2006, 08:04 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I figured that out after I took some time to think about things. All I had to do was read my own post and do the math to understand what was happening.

Bear with me. I'm new.
TastyNutz is offline   Reply With Quote