Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Software Forums > DVD Rebuilder

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12 Oct 2006, 11:15 PM   #1

Lightbulb Star Wars Original Trilogy DVDs

Hello, all!

This may be a real obvious post to owners of DVD-RB Pro, but I've just done a successful test and was astounded by the results...

The September 12 release of the original, unaltered Star Wars trilogy on DVD was met with mixed emotions... Everyone loved the fact that the films were now available on DVD in their original 1977, 1980 and 1983 incarnations, but were upset that the discs were not mastered anamorphically.

I've just used DVD-RB Pro's "Convert 4:3 LB to 16:9" to correct this on all three films, and then burned to a +R DL using ImgBurn's build mode. Even though the disc required no added compression, I selected CCE Basic as the encoder and set the proper title set to be converted (only the film) in the AVS Expert Options area. The results were outstanding... a beautiful anamorphic disc the way it should have been. Even the subtitles were handled properly.

My question is... if this was so simple and generated such a good result, why haven't more of us geeks who were so upset over the fact the discs weren't 16:9 done this? Is there a drawback I'm missing? The disc is indistinguishable from the original and, in my opinion, looks a little better (CCE's doing, I'd imagine).

When something works out as simply and beautifully as this has, I get concerned that I've missed something... Also, is it absolutely necessary to select an encoder for this purpose? I use RB-Pro. If I were to select "No compression" and dvd-9 target size, would the app still do the 16:9 conversion? Other threads seem to indicate the answer is no, but all of them seem to be using the freeware version.

Any expert opinions? (I may post this over at doom9 as well.)

Last edited by Dashiell; 13 Oct 2006 at 04:07 AM Reason: xtra info
Dashiell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2006, 11:31 AM   #2
Digital Video Enthusiast
Digital Video Enthusiast

No. Resizing requires reencoding.

That feature was added for "us geeks". There are a lot of classic films out there that (for some unimaginable reason) were mastered at 4:3 with those huge blocks on the top an bottom of the screen instead of anamorphic encoding.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 12:21 AM   #3

Thank you, J! Just the answer I was looking for.

From all the yelling, whining and griping that went on over these discs NOT being anamorphic, I would expect your sales of DVD-RB to double!

Kudos, once again, on this excellent piece of software!

Last edited by Dashiell; 14 Oct 2006 at 12:28 AM
Dashiell is offline   Reply With Quote