Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Software Forums > DVD Rebuilder

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15 Dec 2006, 05:09 PM   #1
Digital Video Technician
Digital Video Technician

Default VobBlanker and DVD-RB (free)

I have a episode DVD and I want to back it up with DVD-RB (free) and HCenc19.1 There is a preview for other DVD's that the studio would like me to buy as well as other advertisments, FBI, and other things I have no interest in transfering to the backup.

How does DVD-RB(free) respond to VobBlanker, is this preprocessing that is OK or will I have problems?

I will also be using Menushrink to save more space so the bitrate will be higher and I would like to blank the previews and other unwanted video segments with VobBlanker to further improve the video. How is VobBlanker to work with for what I have described? Remember this is a episode DVD with DVD-RB (free)

Thanks in advance.

AV
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2006, 05:56 PM   #2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
I have a episode DVD and I want to back it up with DVD-RB (free) and HCenc19.1 There is a preview for other DVD's that the studio would like me to buy as well as other advertisments, FBI, and other things I have no interest in transfering to the backup.
You can blank them using Vobblanker.

Quote:
How does DVD-RB(free) respond to VobBlanker, is this preprocessing that is OK or will I have problems?
Not as long as you cut the cells inbetween, normal blanking and stilling works well with DVD-Rb.

Quote:
I will also be using Menushrink to save more space so the bitrate will be higher and I would like to blank the previews and other unwanted video segments with VobBlanker to further improve the video. How is VobBlanker to work with for what I have described? Remember this is a episode DVD with DVD-RB (free)

You can use Vobblanker itself to still the Menu's and that too selectively but thats manual work as compared to Menushrink's one click conversion!!!. VObblanker is quite robust and works well.
techreactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2006, 09:27 AM   #3
Not a god of digital video

Just one point - if you're just blanking, then you should be OK. If you are cutting cells (eg credits), there is a bug in the latest official VobBlanker, which is fixed in the beta. See Authoring & Editing forum stickies for links to the latest versions.

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2006, 11:41 AM   #4
Digital Video Technician
Digital Video Technician

thank techreactor,

blutach, when you say blanking I am puzzled (is it like it sounds) can a 3 minute segment VTS_1.VOB be completely blanked? is it obvious on the DVD during playback and how does the menus change if you remove a segment, are the buttons in the menu removed. When I say blanked I mean left out of the final DVD. I just think why have the movie studio advertisments when you could have that space for the movie and improve the quality.

I will check the authoring and editing forum

Thank you,
AV
Old 16 Dec 2006, 12:17 PM   #5
Still a Newbie Tryin ta Learn

I'm still a newbie, but I can speak from my experience. When I blank something using VobBlanker, it's gone in playback. For instance, the minimum repair I do when backing up a DVD is to get rid of the FBI warnings, the parental control screens, and any previews for other movies. In general, those run before you get to menus, and often can't be skipped so they are beyond annoying and can be reasonably called downright hostile.

After blanking those with VobBlanker, there is no sign of them in playback.

When VobBlanker blanks a title that is represented in the DVD menus, it makes the button refer back to itself, so when you click that button, it simply doesn't take you anywhere. (Incorrect: below, this information is corrected.)

Hope that helps.

Last edited by MutinyFever; 16 Dec 2006 at 01:33 PM Reason: Correcting error
MutinyFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2006, 12:41 PM   #6
Digital Video Technician
Digital Video Technician

thanks mutinyfever, what you just described is exactly what I want to do with this episode DVD before using DVD-RB on it. Can you direct me to a guide, I see blutech has some info. out there, which one did you use?

Thanks
Old 16 Dec 2006, 12:55 PM   #7

To tell the truth it was intuitive enough that I didn't use a guide, and blutach is (in spite of his protestations) a god of digital video. If he recommends a guide, that's the one to use.

VobBlanker does have a link to guides under the help menu. I haven't read them, but that is where I would start. The link is live. I just checked it.

Last edited by MutinyFever; 16 Dec 2006 at 01:02 PM
Old 16 Dec 2006, 01:09 PM   #8

VobBlanker does not change the button or button commands. If you remove a chapter, the button on the chapter menu will take you to the (now blanked) chapter and if there is more video it will keep playing at the next chapter. If you blanked the last chapter (eg credits), it will take you to the post commands and then back a menu.

If you blank a whole title, the button will go to the title and depending on whether convert post commands into pre commands have been selected or not, will play the very short blanked title and return you to the menu.

And VobBlanker can blank on a title, PGC, cell or even cut parts out on a GOP basis.

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 16 Dec 2006 at 01:12 PM
Old 16 Dec 2006, 01:22 PM   #9

My mistake. I was watching some program work, I thought it was VobBlanker, and it was making now useless buttons refer back to themselves. Perhaps it was PGCEdit? It can't have been MenuShrink, since I haven't gotten into advanced use of that program. The only other thing I've used today is ImgBurn.

What is a GOP basis?

Last edited by MutinyFever; 16 Dec 2006 at 01:27 PM
Old 16 Dec 2006, 01:55 PM   #10
Digital Video Technician
Digital Video Technician

Default Errors

blutech, I used VobBlanker 21_20b1.exe that you posted and I get a error and the programs stops and wants to send a error message to MS this hapend twice. Problem is it doesn't tell me the error or give a clue and I can't find the log. where the heck is it in VobBlanker?
Old 16 Dec 2006, 02:16 PM   #11

It looks like you downloaded beta number 1. They are on the eleventh beta version. I suggest you go back and download the newest version. Dump the one that is giving you problems and try a different version. 2.1.1.0 is fine if you aren't cutting the cells up. For our level of play, you probably just want to be blanking. That is all I do to get rid of the warnings and previews.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 04:17 PM   #12

GOP = group of pictures. 15 or so frames.

Regards
Old 16 Dec 2006, 05:46 PM   #13
BR7
He is coming to your little town!

Just so you know DVD Rebuilder (free version) has been up dated

My Blu-ray Collection
BR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2006, 04:10 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
thanks mutinyfever, what you just described is exactly what I want to do with this episode DVD before using DVD-RB on it. Can you direct me to a guide, I see blutech has some info. out there, which one did you use?

Thanks
Vobblanker itself has an excellent help, otherwise goto the digital-digest.com site and goto articles and search for guider on VOBblanker.
techreactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2006, 03:35 PM   #15
Digital Video Technician
Digital Video Technician

Thank you, to everyone!