X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

Any ZA experts here that knows how to allow the automatic sync for the windows clock to get thru the ZA firewall in Windows XP? Tried to change a lot of settings and also checked that C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe is allowed to connect thru the firewall.

Comment

• MikeyBK
      Digital Video Maniac
      • Feb 2006

Originally Posted by cynthia
      Any ZA experts here that knows how to allow the automatic sync for the windows clock to get thru the ZA firewall in Windows XP? Tried to change a lot of settings and also checked that C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe is allowed to connect thru the firewall.

Under ZA / 'Firewall' tab...then 'Zones'...'Add'...then 'Host/Site'...copy and paste- time.windows.com into 'Host Name' and 'Decription' windows... then press OK....than back in the 'Firewall/ Zones section, press apply...

BTW...Happy belated birthday.
      MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
      Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
      ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
      Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
      XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
      Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
      Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
      *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
      *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

• cynthia
        Super Moderatress
        • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by MikeyBK
        Under ZA / 'Firewall' tab...then 'Zones'...'Add'...then 'Host/Site'...copy and paste- time.windows.com into 'Host Name' and 'Decription' windows... then press OK....than back in the 'Firewall/ Zones section, press apply...

BTW...Happy belated birthday.
        Hi and Thanks!

Tried that before - but then it didn't work - tried it now once again to update the clock and now it worked.

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

Awc

Originally Posted by gonwk
          Hi folks,

@ MikeyBK ... THANKS for the heads up on "Advanced WindowsCare" freeware. I just downloaded also ... and will try it.

G!
          What's the word on Advanced WindowsCare? I'm really looking for a
          spyware scanner for my XP machine. I was using Spybot S&D but it's
          so CPU intensive it kicks up my fans(and the BIOS doesn't always
          adjust the fans the way it's supposed to.)

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

any good malware scanner is going to take your computer's full attention and then some

do a disk cleanup, take out the trash and temp junk, then scan

unfortunately one is not enough, so try to use 2 or 3 and test

Comment

• gonwk
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2005

Hi folks,

@ Miles ... I tried "Advanced Windows Care" Freeware and it seems pretty darn good. But, I would go with Chewy's recommendation and use multiple ones ... that is what I am doing ... I run different ones when I am louging around and watching movies ... I am using Spybot, Ad-Aware, Advanced Windows Care, I used AVG Free Trial until it ran out of 30 days trial.

G!

Comment

• MikeyBK
                Digital Video Maniac
                • Feb 2006

I too run multiple programs for my system maintenance as well.

First I run Advanced Windows Care to get rid of a bulk of the crap on my system, BTW AWC is one of the fastest system care scanners around...bar none. And you will notice an instant speed-up of your internet surfing.

Then I run 'Issues' on CCleaner to get rid of unassociated and/or fragmented files that doesn't get picked off by spyware/adware programs because they are of no threat to your system, but rather just clutter,
                Then I also run disk clean-up to get any lingering temporary internet files and to compress old files.
                Lastly, I also run AdAware maybe once a week or two just for added security, and it does occasionally get some cookies from websites thatn somehow avoids detection by AWC.

BTW, I also have AVG set to scan automatically early every morning while I'm still sleeping, and I use ZoneAlarm for my firewall.

Can't be too secure IMHO...
                MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower

*Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R

Comment

• BR7
                  He is coming to your little town!
                  • Aug 2005

IMO ZA Freeware is not that great(leaks) compared to its pay version.If your looking for a good freeware Firewall I would go with COMODO

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• MilesAhead
                    Eclectician
                    • Nov 2006

Awc

Originally Posted by gonwk
                    Hi folks,

@ Miles ... I tried "Advanced Windows Care" Freeware and it seems pretty darn good. But, I would go with Chewy's recommendation and use multiple ones ... that is what I am doing ... I run different ones when I am louging around and watching movies ... I am using Spybot, Ad-Aware, Advanced Windows Care, I used AVG Free Trial until it ran out of 30 days trial.

G!
                    Thanks for the info. I'm hesitant because I read a couple of user reviews where running it seems to have caused nasty side-effects. Hosed something in Firefox and Windows Explorer and System Restore. Anyway, I just installed AVG free anti-spyware again and it didn't complain so you can use the non-pro features past 30 days I guess.

I just wish they left AdAwareSE alone!! That worked on both XP and Vista
                    just fine. It ain't broke and they still fixed it!!!!

Comment

• MikeyBK
                      Digital Video Maniac
                      • Feb 2006

Originally Posted by BR7
                      IMO ZA Freeware is not that great(leaks) compared to its pay version.If your looking for a good freeware Firewall I would go with COMODO
                      So far ZoneAlarm has worked perfectly for all my PCs, so real need to change at the moment.

I have been hearing about Comodo, but not sure why you feel it is better? What leaks are you referring to about ZA?? I'm curious to know.
                      MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower

*Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R

Comment

• BR7
                        He is coming to your little town!
                        • Aug 2005

Have a look here it can explain it better then I can Look at the test results towards the bottom of the page

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• MikeyBK
                          Digital Video Maniac
                          • Feb 2006

Originally Posted by BR7
                          Have a look here it can explain it better then I can Look at the test results towards the bottom of the page

Very interesting BR7...That got my attention.

OK I'll try Comodo out and see how it performs for me. Thanks bro...
                          MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower

*Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R

Comment

• src2206
                            • Jan 2007

Hello MikeyBK

Sorry I am late, but just in case you do not have your first question answered yet.....

1. Comodo does everything that ZA Pro does [including Program control], but Comodo is free.

2. Comodo's uninstallation never creates any leftover issues, which ZA surely does.

3. It is far easier to forward a port in Comodo than ZA.

4. It uses less system resources than ZA.

5. Last but not the least: the leak test result as referred by BR7.

My humble suggestion: Use Comodo, and you shall be more than happy.

Caution
                            : Be sure that ZA is completely uninstalled and no traces of it is left in your system, then only carry out Comodo installation.
                            I suggest that you use jv16Power Tools' last free version, and use the registry cleaner in it to clean all of the ZA traces.

Cheers
                            Last edited by src2206; 13 Jul 2007, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• MikeyBK
                              Digital Video Maniac
                              • Feb 2006

Well I just tried out Comodo and was a little puzzled by a couple of things. First was when SVCHOST looked for access, I got a message from Comodo that it was possibly being used by some other site as a cover for access...so I denied it access. However, when I went into application controls, SVCHOST shows as denied, but is listed as 'Safe'??? Huh??
                              Comodo also wouldn't allow me to go to windows update and custom check for any possible downloads. Not sure why??

Another thing is about that leak test. They list the Jetico free version as very good...however the free version hasn't had an update version since July of 2005??

Anyways, I'm glad you like it BR7 and it works to your liking, but I have gone back to ZoneAlarm...and I am trusting my personal experiences over some websites leak-test. Maybe this leak-test is valid, but I have not had any issues with ZoneAlarm in a few years of use on 5 PCs and laptops...
                              MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower

*Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R

Comment

• MikeyBK
                                Digital Video Maniac
                                • Feb 2006

Originally Posted by src2206
                                4. It uses less system resources than ZA.
                                ZoneAlarm hardly uses much resources on my older 1998 PC that has a 533 MHz Celeron CPU woth only 320 MBs of RAM...And it uses almost nothing on my two main PCs as well as mine and my daughters' laptops...
                                So not sure it's even an issue...

Originally Posted by src2206
                                [/COLOR]Caution[/COLOR]: Be sure that ZA is completely uninstalled and no traces of it is left in your system, then only carry out Comodo installation.
                                I suggest that you use jv16Power Tools' last free version, and use the registry cleaner in it to clean all of the ZA traces.

Cheers
                                ZA was easy to remove. Add/Remove to uninstall, then search function to clear out remaining traces. No need for any jv16Power Tools for any reason IMHO...
                                Comodo, although removed most of it's components thru add/remove (in seconds, not sure how??) but on reboot, there were folders left behind as well as the boot.ini file??? Why?? Not sure, but it's now completely off my system as well.

I'm glad it works for you guys, but for me, I'm sticking with ZA...atleast for now or until I see more compelling reasons to change.
                                Last edited by MikeyBK; 13 Jul 2007, 11:34 PM.
                                MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower

*Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R

Comment

Working...