X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Man this WWW is crazy enough. Can't phathom linking to some other's system to play games or w/e else. It's that GO ASSIST feature from Dell or Verizon and I'm leary. Honestly, I just do my video and music work and beef things up w/a new app. here and there that's necessary. Common sense ain't too common anymore. I knew str8 off the back to scrap yahoo and all that other traffic after my system got infected. The more traffic the more the odds are in favor of getting hit.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• snagel
      • Apr 2006

re:BR7

Originally Posted by BR7
      Soup posted a good one but I prefer MWSnap
      How are you supposed to use MWSnap 300 when I download it it says
      MWSnap 300 is not a valid Win32 application. And then will not do anything. I have downloaded and run from the Desktop and E:drive . Is there any other programs for taking screen shots.

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

Hi Snagel. Where did you try to download it from? Same thing happened to me w/another app. a while back. Think it was softpedia where I tried to download from. Was suggested to me that the download must of been corrupt and that I should try downloading again. I didn't even bother after the second try.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• snagel
          • Apr 2006

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
          Hi Snagel. Where did you try to download it from? Same thing happened to me w/another app. a while back. Think it was softpedia where I tried to download from. Was suggested to me that the download must of been corrupt and that I should try downloading again. I didn't even bother after the second try.
          Right from the link on this forum from BR7. It was from MWSnap.

Comment

• locoeng
            Who Farted?
            • Dec 2005

Threatfire AntiVirus & Spyware protection ~ http://www.threatfire.com/

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
            Walt Kelly

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

Originally Posted by snagel
              I either started a thread a couple of weeks ago or posted in one about taking screen shots. I downloaded irfanview. does the job. also there's paint.net which Loco recommended. just pick one and keep the one that you feel most comfortable with. Also remember you need an image hosting service which is also free. Took me a bit too get it going but it's worth it.

Comment

• BR7
                He is coming to your little town!
                • Aug 2005

How are you supposed to use MWSnap 300 when I download it it says
                MWSnap 300 is not a valid Win32 application. And then will not do anything. I have downloaded and run from the Desktop and E:drive . Is there any other programs for taking screen shots.
                Sorry it's not working for you.I'm not sure why you are getting that error,it has always worked flawlessly for me

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

not familiar with it but..

Hey snagel, I'm not familiar with that program but generally what I do with a hard to get download is google on the download filename. If it's a popular program sometimes it will even show up on a college ftp server that allows
                  anonymous access. You can just go and get it once you know where to look.

Comment

• snagel
                    • Apr 2006

Windows Live one care

My modem/router died on me a couple of days ago. Now I have the new Modem/router from Qwest 2701 HG-D. When running the new installation disc it has Windows live one care as Qwest with MSN for virus protection, firewall, anti-spyware and anti phising. Is Windows live one care any good?

Your comments will be appreciated.

If you run it it will advise you to uninstall AVG professional, AVG Free, and Adaware 2007. I don't know why you couldn't uncheck the box and not have resident protection on AVG and still keep them for scanning utilities.....

Just curious.

Comment

• atifsh
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • May 2003

Is Windows live one care any good?
                      Just curious.
                      for ur answer...

no u cant install multiple antivirus programs from multiple brands. compatibility problems....
                      Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• snagel
                        • Apr 2006

re: atfish

I always had the understanding that if you did not have anti-virus or anti spyware for that matter running in real time or resident protection that you could have more than one. I then understood that you could use the ones without resident protection or realtime protection as scanners.

wouldn't this be true under this practice........ pick the one you wanted to run and use it in real protection and use all others as scanners only unchecking the tick box to make it available only as a scanner.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • May 2007

Hi snagel. The other day I either came up w/a false positive from Avira my free virus proggie and I called Verizon as it had to do w/their directory in some way. Story short I deleted the entry and asked Verizon how much their virus and anti-spyware cost and how good it was. Bottom line it was too much xtra money a month and the tech also said I couldn't have another anti-virus program installed at the same time as theirs. Probably cause it's directly integrated w/the whole isp service or w/e.

I use Avira Free PE and Spybot Search and destroy also free. I also use windows firewall. As long as you play it as safe as possible by some of the suggestions either here in this thread or on some others, along w/Firefox w/No Script and Add Block Plus you should be fine. Firefox is just safer. IE I use for certain downloads and purchases that FF can't do. Choice is yours though. Play w/it see what you like and check out the suggestions posted by the more veteran fellas and all will play itself out well in the end.

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

I think I finally put together a low footprint dummy down combination of security programs

first you have to have a decent router nat hardware firewall w/ windows firewall

then your OS is fully updated, same for browser, java too

firefox no script for iffy surfing

then spybot w/sd helper and immunize/update frequently, no teatimer

next winpatrol to monitor changes

last the avira personal free for resident av protection

I tested this combination on an old dell that I had installed xpsp3 on

23 seconds to boot w/wireless internet

9 seconds to shut down

protection will not let me extract the test trojan(amazing how fast it worked)

Running processes:
                            C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
                            C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
                            C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
                            C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
                            C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
                            C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
                            C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
                            C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
                            C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
                            C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
                            C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
                            C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe
                            C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe
                            C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
                            C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
                            C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
                            Attached Files

Comment

• snagel
                              • Apr 2006

re: Chewy

Originally Posted by Chewy
                              I think I finally put together a low footprint dummy down combination of security programs

first you have to have a decent router nat hardware firewall w/ windows firewall

then your OS is fully updated, same for browser, java too

firefox no script for iffy surfing

then spybot w/sd helper and immunize/update frequently, no teatimer

next winpatrol to monitor changes

last the avira personal free for resident av protection

I tested this combination on an old dell that I had installed xpsp3 on

23 seconds to boot w/wireless internet

9 seconds to shut down

protection will not let me extract the test trojan(amazing how fast it worked)

Running processes:
                              C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
                              C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
                              C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
                              C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
                              C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
                              C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
                              C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
                              C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
                              C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
                              C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
                              C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe
                              C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe
                              C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
                              C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
                              C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

first you have to have a decent router nat hardware firewall?

What is nat?

Comment

• Chewy
                                Super Moderator
                                • Nov 2003

NetworkAdressTranslation

all routers have it, it's what you do with a router that's important

change the default password, use mac address filtering for wireless etc

malware has now moved into routers

Comment

Working...