X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

btw I don't really know why, but everyone is doing VMs these days. So I'm on VirtualBox here on Firefox in fake XP on my Vista64 machine. I have a couple more glitches to fix on it. When I try to access the shared folder on the host machine it wants me to log in when I don't have any passwording... and a couple other things. But it does work. Internet access is almost full speed. I just have to figure out the Lan and the HD shared folder stuff.

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

I believe you 100%. The whole site and everything about it is totally on the up n up. Matter of fact they even have comparisons to similar software that doesn't cut it like Sandboxie. The most distinguishing feature is the one you posted about regarding reboot to turn it off etc... I'm in. Just some more final tweaks regarding the keystroke issue etc... Just by the number of downloads etc... tells you it's otm.
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

Yay!! Looks like I have this XP VM usable. Only pain in the ass is I have to enter a user name to browse the public folder on the host machine... for some reason I can look at the shared folders on the Windows7 machine with no hassles.

Comment

• JoslynKailey
          • Mar 2010

Hi Thanks for that Valuable information and the links its help me to remove viruses from my laptop.

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

Welcome to DVF

Originally Posted by JoslynKailey
            Hi Thanks for that Valuable information and the links its help me to remove viruses from my laptop.

Your welcome.

@Miles Is it because of security as well? I mean if anything attacks the VM will it actually hit the whole OS? Have you tried the XP Mode on 7 if it's available for you? I forget whether that's virtual as well, but it was kinda cool when I toyed w/it on the 7 Betas etc... MS would let you install XP Pro on 7 in XP Mode. Free.
            Last edited by dr_ml422; 31 Mar 2010, 12:45 PM.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

I don't mess with the VM stuff on W7 because that machine only has 2 GB ram. I have VirtualBox set up on the Vista64 PC but I'm not really doing anything with it right now.

Supposedly your VM is isolated but if you have network shares then I suppose a malware could try to put stuff onto the shared folders. I more or less did it to see how hard it was in case I wanted to use it for something in the future. I did VM stuff on Linux because back then Windows version of Netscape had all the good multimedia plugins. Linux hadn't caught up yet. So I had some appliance the let me run Windows Plusgins on Linux Netscape or something like that. I could play embedded video and stuff.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

I hear you. A lil challenge for future proofing is something I do sometimes as well. Better to know how to do it and have it than not know and need it!

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

Sandboxie is good. Just a lot of searching in their forum to figure out whether or not a proggie will install and also run Sandboxed. I think this is the most challenging part.

I had to do a System Restore because for some reason no program would open or run sandboxed. Not even the default ones. Too long to find solution so a Restore was in order.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                    Eclectician
                    • Nov 2006

Usually what I do with Sandboxie is install... then if it takes the driver, hit the button for default browser sandboxed. If it launches it sandboxed, then you are usually good to go. If it won't then I back off a version or try a newer beta. If you post on the forum with details about your hardware often you'll see a new beta build pop up in a day or 2 that works. It's happened to me quite a few times.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • May 2007

Everything's fine as right now I'm using Sandboxie w/IE. It's the configurations for installing apps. and running them sanboxed that takes some time researching to get right. Especially any app. that needs web access. I found a hit on Ask.com in Wilder's Security Forum on suggested configurations. Lot of reading that's all.

I want to learn how to test/install/run different apps. sandboxed. I mean especially anything like IMs that scour the web.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                        Eclectician
                        • Nov 2006

I see what you mean now. I mostly use it as a browser shield. The test install aspect is more complicated.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • May 2007

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
                          I see what you mean now. I mostly use it as a browser shield. The test install aspect is more complicated.
                          Yes that's it. I'll just take my time and if I see that it justs becomes a task then I'll just use it as a browser shield myself. I'm looking to install and use Yahoo IM so getting it to run sandboxed would be great. Lots of traffic on there. Hence more chance of getting hit.

Ok so here's the quick update on Sandaboxie. It takes time to learn what it will accept w/individual programs etc..., especially if you're running a separate sandbox for a particular software. For example I created a separate sandbox for Yahoo IM, and after numerous trial n error finally got it to run smoothly w/just the certificate warning box which is ok after you close it. Most of the lil hiccups was a dllhost.exe process and the Logitech webcam apps. as well. I just included these in Restrictions and all is fine. You do need separate sandboxes for different applications to run better w/no issues. Just using the default box for many will cause problems. I know for a fact I would of got hit w/something already was it not for Sandboxie and the IM proggie.
                          Last edited by dr_ml422; 24 Apr 2010, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• Balala
                            • Aug 2010

Is it compatible with Mac system?

Comment

• lflytech
                              Lflytech
                              • Dec 2011

Thanks very much for your information. It's really helpful.

Comment

• olivia newton
                                • Jan 2012

I was trying to download Page 6: Photo/Graphics Manipulation from software guide area , after providing them all info regarding my account and confirmation e-mail, finally download link having problem while open.can anyone confirm is Photo Graphics Manipulation is available or not?

Comment

Working...