X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

you would want to get

Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

taking a look at this right now.

yea i get that. i didn't mean 2 different brands, or differering amounts of ram. i just wanted to know if you could stick 1 stick in 1 slot n leave the other open 4 later. but then again i don't even know if the 2 slots r hooked together anyway.

can't do anything about zone or avast huh? seeing you said your daughter has it i guess it can't b that bad. but damn all that resource it hogs up. the other free firewalls n antivirus software can't b too far from hogging either huh.
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

avg might be a little less bloated than avast, people seem to like comodo

Comodo Firewall is a network security system that monitors and controls the network traffic based on predetermined security rules. Get now for $29.99/Year.

I don't use any real time protection beyond that provided by sd helper in spybot and immunizng(host file)

I am behind a nat in a router and leave windows firewall on and keep a close eye on exceptions

Decided to learn a little more about computer security here

Malware Removal provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step of our malware removal process.

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

cowboyed up. just pulled the trigger. thnx. i'm really looking forward to that future build w/linux you suggested a ways back. is it cool to do video work w/linux? or totally different software like w/macs? 1 day at a time. haven't even scratched the surface w/pcs yet. lol.

takes a while to read n learn about all the hardware.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

Originally Posted by Chewy
            avg might be a little less bloated than avast, people seem to like comodo

Comodo Firewall is a network security system that monitors and controls the network traffic based on predetermined security rules. Get now for $29.99/Year.

I don't use any real time protection beyond that provided by sd helper in spybot and immunizng(host file)

I am behind a nat in a router and leave windows firewall on and keep a close eye on exceptions

Decided to learn a little more about computer security here

http://www.malwareremoval.com/

i'll check this malware link out. tiger suggested router in verizon thread. check if same. sd? google came up w/secure digital card. have spybot n know about the immunizng. look into host file.

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

SDHelper - This program will integrate into your Internet Explorer browser and block your browser from downloading "bad" programs from known malware sites.
              If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, then an excellent tool called Spybot - Search and Destroy can be used to remove them. Follow the instructions below to learn how to use Spybot - S&D to remove these programs from your computer. Word of warning, though, Spyware can sometimes be integrated tightly into software that you use, and if you remove the spyware, that software may not function correctly. So be careful as to what you remove.

it's turned on by default when you install spybot

Comment

• soup
                Just Trying To Help
                • Nov 2005

If you do go to Comodo, I would advice when you install it, do it Basic not Advanced. I am using it on my XP64 side & the main thing I like about is that it is 2-way.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

hi soup. good to hear from you. think i'm going to head towards Comodo if in fact it hogs up less ram. thnx 4 that link chewy. i have spybot already. if it's on their by default then i must have it n it must b working. i'll read that tutorial over though to really see how to use spybot's features. is there a way to check n make sure helper is on spybot just to make sure? also i remember you advising not to use teatimer. is that suggestion still a good 1?

both you guys r so right. too much stuff to learn. it can drive you crazy. lol...

Comment

• paglamon
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Aug 2005

If you do go to Comodo, I would advice when you install it, do it Basic not Advanced.
                    This is not a good idea according to this:http://blog.scotsnewsletter.com/2008...asic-firewall/
                    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• dr_ml422
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • May 2007

Good tip. thnx Paglamon. Right now i'm undecided. Gonna go w/the old if you don't know what to do, don't do anything. definitely going to have to do something about avast, and probably zonealarm too.

@chewy
                      Real time? you mean while you're not browsing, or just in general across the board?

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

real time protection is having the program loaded at bootup and it's always running

every time I turn off avast with my daughters it shuts down like 6 modules
                        Geez

Comment

• soup
                          Just Trying To Help
                          • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by paglamon
                          This is not a good idea according to this:http://blog.scotsnewsletter.com/2008...asic-firewall/

All I can say is that I have been using it for months now on my XP64 side & (touch wood), haven't run into any problems.

Comment

• paglamon
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Aug 2005

All I can say is that I have been using it for months now on my XP64 side & (touch wood), haven't run into any problems.
                            Me too. The only problem(for me) seems to be that it takes a pretty long time to start up during boot.And this problem was not there with version 2.4. I am not alone. Many are complaining about this at the Comodo forum.
                            sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• soup
                              Just Trying To Help
                              • Nov 2005

I agree with the fact that it takes a while on boot, but then so does my Net Defence 2-way Firewall on the XP32 side. If I really wanted to, when everything is booted up, I can log off then log on again & they will load in a heartbeat, but who needs to do that all the time, so I just live with it.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • May 2007

wow. more time. looks like a small price right now 2 b secure. i'm mainly disturbed at how much ram that avast takes up. i thought zone was doing the same, but it's not. it's avast n all those services it provides separately.

on that note, i just put in those 2gb of ram. under properties in my computer it shows up as 1.99. did they jip me out of 1/10 of ram? or is this normal? lol... i'm serious though. just want to make sure everything's hooked up correctly. thnx.

Comment

Working...