X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Eldergeek different ok. There's the website and also some guy I presume called Eldergeek who does tweaks remotely. Pretty sure you didn't let this guy into your system right?

I'm thrown off by you not using an av after coming down w/those 2 viruses you mentioned. What's your plan of attack or rather defense besides the nat and router?
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

anony calls it vigilence, I call it safe hex

google is doing a lot better job not sending me to bad driveby malware sites

I wasn't using spybot last summer

IE 6 didn't get some critical patches

when I got infected I installed my 1 year norton's, trojan hunter(30 day), spybot, and even tried avg

I can pretty well tell when I get infected w/o a scan or a firewall

it's always a tradeoff, do you sacrifice performance every day for more security? I ran for over a year almost completely unprotected, I see people every day where the experts can't fix there computers
      because they were running 2 firewalls or 2 active AV's and every crap program in the world and they still got infected.

I scan my system pretty often with 2 or 3 anti-malware programs. stay away from myspace, chat/IM programs, never open anything I don't trust completely

And remember the bottom line: I use a custom built system where my data, drivers and installers are all backed up on media and a seperate physical hard drive, I built the system, can reload fairly quickly.

There's another big factor too, my ram was hard to get, ultra fast and very expensive when it last sold

premium ddr is no more
      Last edited by Chewy; 13 Mar 2008, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

Definitely agree w/safe surfing and staying away from myspace, chat/IM programs, and not opening untrusted anything. Ever since I got rid of Yahoo IM and my webcam and just hit the sites I pretty much need and trust I've been void of any infection. Firefox was a godsend and it's been great like you said. Lil by lil w/more experience I'll eventually let go myself. Absolutely nothing's fool proof and like everything else staying away from harm and exercising as much caution as possible will almost always keep you safe.

Daniel never went back to the lion's den to get his hat.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

[quote=MilesAhead;555274]@dr_ml422.

To kill the service without having to go into the services applet I use this command:

C:\Windows\system32\sc.exe stop SbieSvc

Hi Miles. I've seen many shortcuts w/commands and the honest to God truth is I have no clue where they go so I could run and execute them. This I totally need help w/cause they seem very useful for all sorts of apps. and tweaks. Thnx.

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

Originally Posted by Chewy
            cable modem with a super weak nat, wireless router with a slightly stronger nat

windows xp firewall

66,400 protections in spybot(immunize)
            Chewy that wireless router does it have to be from your cable isp or are they sold separately w/compatible specs for it?

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

if you need to hook up more than one computer, otherwise don't bother with it

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

@dr_ml422 see help for cmd.exe, command line, run box

Comment

• soup
                  Just Trying To Help
                  • Nov 2005

Always practise Click image for larger version

Name:	Safe Sex.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	914743, I mean safe hex.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2007

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
                    @dr_ml422 see help for cmd.exe, command line, run box
                    Help where Miles? In forum through search?

Comment

• dr_ml422
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • May 2007

you must have a P4 521 cpu

Athlon64 3500+2200 MHz MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum nForce3-Ultra Dual PC3200DDR 2-2-2-5 45.6 ns

Athlon64 2250 MHz Asus A8VDeluxe K8T800Pro Dual PC4000 DDR 2.5-4-4-10 46.3 ns
                      Hi Chewy. Is this 46.3 ns in another computer of yours? Why isn't it posted in the latency benchmark? Foreign import?

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

CPU Properties:
                        CPU Type AMD Athlon 64 3500+
                        CPU Alias Venice S939
                        CPU Stepping DH-E3
                        CPUID CPU Name AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
                        CPUID Revision 00020FF0h

CPU Speed:
                        CPU Clock 2249.93 MHz
                        CPU Multiplier 9.0x
                        CPU FSB 249.99 MHz (original: 200 MHz, overclock: 25&#37
                        Memory Bus 249.99 MHz

CPU Cache:
                        L1 Code Cache 64 KB (Parity)
                        L1 Data Cache 64 KB (ECC)
                        L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, ECC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:
                        Motherboard ID 63-1408-000001-00101111-063005-K8T800P$A0036001_BIOS DATE: 06/30/05 17:34:14 VER: 08.00.09
                        Motherboard Name Asus A8V Deluxe (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

Chipset Properties:
                        Motherboard Chipset VIA K8T800Pro, AMD Hammer
                        Memory Timings 2.5-4-4-10 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
                        Command Rate (CR) 1T

SPD Memory Modules:
                        DIMM1: Micron Tech. 256 MB PC4000 DDR SDRAM (2.5-4-4-10 @ 250 MHz) (2.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)
                        DIMM2: Micron Tech. 256 MB PC4000 DDR SDRAM (2.5-4-4-10 @ 250 MHz) (2.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)

Comment

• dr_ml422
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • May 2007

Ok so it's here but it's not on the benchmark. They don't make it anymore? I'm lost w/this. Why did your other 1 come out on my benchmark and not this one?

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

Athlon64 2250 MHz Asus A8 Deluxe K8T800Pro Dual PC4000 DDR 2.5-4-4-10 45.6 ns mine
                            Athlon64 3500+ 2200 MHz MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum nForce3-Ultra Dual PC3200 DDR 2-2-2-5 45.6 ns

Athlon64 3400+ 2200 MHz Chaintech VNF3-250 nForce3-250 PC3200 DDR SDRAM 2-2-2-5 48.4 ns

Comment

• dr_ml422
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • May 2007

Athlon64 2250 MHz Asus A8 Deluxe K8T800Pro Dual PC4000 DDR 2.5-4-4-10 45.6 ns mine
                              Athlon64 3500+ 2200 MHz MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum nForce3-Ultra Dual PC3200 DDR 2-2-2-5 45.6 ns

Athlon64 3400+ 2200 MHz Chaintech VNF3-250 nForce3-250 PC3200 DDR SDRAM 2-2-2-5 48.4 ns
                              Is this why it isn't listed?

There's another big factor too, my ram was hard to get, ultra fast and very expensive when it last sold

premium ddr is no more

Comment

• Chewy
                                Super Moderator
                                • Nov 2003

standard premium pc3200 ddr ram was cas2 and ran at 400, my ram was even more rare/special, it was tested/made to run at 500(25% overclock of the frontsidebus), it however had to slow the cas to 2.5 at that speed

I tested 3 other batches of cas 2, because of the problem of memory dividers that ram
                                wasn't as fast, even when I went to 40-45% oc of the fsb(280-290), if I set the divider
                                one way the ram crashed trying to run at over 400 or ended up underclocked running below 400 when I lower the ram divider

needless to say everest didn't include my setup in their standard bench
                                Last edited by Chewy; 17 Mar 2008, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...