X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

I haven't tried it in Firefox yet, but Mr Tech Local Install sure worked for me in Thunderbird. A lot of add-ons that would work if not for the version checking .. Mr Tech allows to bypass the version check and install from your local HD. Here's a link to
    the Firefox Mr Tech add-on:

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

Speaking of Thunderbird, don't bother trying to update to AutoCopy 0.8 in Thunderbird.
      Way at the bottom of the Thunderbird Auto Copy page, after "How to install in Thunderbird" there's a one-liner that Thunderbird support is nada. So stick with the old one!!

Does work in Firefox though.

Comment

• Dan
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
        I haven't tried it in Firefox yet, but Mr Tech Local Install sure worked for me in Thunderbird. A lot of add-ons that would work if not for the version checking .. Mr Tech allows to bypass the version check and install from your local HD. Here's a link to
        the Firefox Mr Tech add-on:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/421
        Been using Thunderbird for quite awhile now but never really bothered with any add ons. Mr. Tech looks good though thanks for the link Miles.

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

you're welcome

Originally Posted by Dan
          Been using Thunderbird for quite awhile now but never really bothered with any add ons. Mr. Tech looks good though thanks for the link Miles.
          You're welcome. I just recently found a great add-on for Thunderbird called
          ImportExportTools (Mboximport enhanced.) It's great if you are running Thunderbird on multiple machines and partitions because you can export your mail folders, then import them to a different copy of Thunderbird and merge the folders.. syncing your mail in all the Thunderbird copies. I did it on the first shot without deleting my mail so it can't be hard to use.

Just create an empty folder before importing so you don't overwrite anything.

Last edited by MilesAhead; 20 May 2008, 02:06 AM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

Manual transfer of Firefox bookmarks to Opera

I haven't found a good freeware that will automagically transfer my Firefox bookmarks to Opera but it turns out the manual method isn't difficult.

Export your Firefox bookmarks.

Go into Opera profile folder and rename opera6.adr to opera6.adr.save

Import your Firefox bookmarks to Opera using the
            File=>Import and Export=>Import Netscape/Firefox bookmarks

Close Opera.

Now is the good part.. open opera6.adr in a text editor.
            Right below the entry for Trash you should see a dash on a
            line by itself, then a Folder entry for Netscape bookmarks you
            imported. Delete the folder entry for Netscape and save the
            opera6.adr file. This will get rid of all the imported bookmarks
            being stuck under a Netscape submenu in the bookmarks
            dropdown.

Now when you open Opera the bookmarks should have the same structure
            as your Firefox bookmarks. The only thing left to do is stack the bookmarks
            toolbar.

In Opera open Bookmarks=>Manage bookmarks and select Bookmarks Toolbar Folder on the left pane.

Make sure in View menu Toolbars that Personal Bar is checked.

Open Firefox.

Drag & drop stuff from the Opera bookmarks manager onto the opera
            personal bar so that it's in the same order as your Firefox bookmarks toolbar.

All done.

Close Opera to save the changes to file, then open to check that
            all looks as expected. If stuff got hosed, just go back into the
            profile folder and rename the opera6.adr.save to opera6.adr to undo changes.

Merging stuff into Opera bookmarks is left as an exercise for the reader.

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

good page for tweaks and tips

A good page for tips and tweaks:

We explain technology. Learn more with our articles, reviews, tips, and the best answers to your most pressing tech questions.

A couple of shortcuts or hotkeys I didn't know about for Vista that I found there include Alt-UpArrow in Explorer to go up one folder and Shift-Right Mouse Click on files/folders in Explorer to get "Copy as Paths" to copy a list of paths to the clipboard. (For some reason even if there's no space in the path it wraps them in double quotes. Go figure.)
              Last edited by MilesAhead; 16 Jun 2008, 01:28 AM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

make your own registry hacks

I didn't know how to delete a registry key or value using a .reg script so in searching the answer I found this reference how to create your own .reg registry hacks:

This step-by-step article describes how to add, modify, or delete registry subkeys and values by using a Registration Entries (.reg) file.

(Of course before testing your scripts it's advisable to back up your registry with some tool or create a system restore point.)

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

My Computer/Computer in quick launch bar

Windows-E hotkey brings up My Computer but sometimes it's more convenient to run it from the Quick Launch Bar with one mouse click.

Right click a blank space on the desktop and select New=>Shortcut.

In location put explorer

for a name put Drives or whatever you prefer

Right click it and select Properties.

In Target field after explorer.exe leave a space and add these params
                  /select,X: where X: is your system drive.

Drag the shortcut to your Quick Launch Bar.
                  Optionally delete the copy on the desktop.

-------------------------------------------------------
                  btw-I tried at first just using Show On Desktop
                  on the Computer icon in Start Menu and just copying
                  to the Quick Launch but that seems to create hassles
                  with the Show Desktop icon. This way produces the same result
                  except the system drive is highlighted when the folder opens.

-------------------------------------------------------

Note: I found the official Microsoft Way. It's cheating!
                  Way too easy!!

Last edited by MilesAhead; 18 Jun 2008, 07:47 AM. Reason: MS easy way

Comment

• MilesAhead
                    Eclectician
                    • Nov 2006

Double Back Bookmark Hack

Maybe it's just me but it bugged me that every enhanced, modified, hacked
                    "back button" I've ever seen required 2 clicks to go back 2 pages in the browser. I mean, if you're going to go back 5 pages, then it's cool to click a drop down list and pick etc.. but if you want to go back 2 pages, to get the list you've already clicked so you might as well just click the back arrow twice. Not good!

In Opera I could easily do a custom button with one of those button wizard sites. I just used a Left Arrow and put it to the left of the one already there and put 2 "back" commands with a pause in between.

But if Firefox seems there's no such thing as a double back button and no easy way to do one yourself short of investing hours into it. So instead of a button I figured an easier way might be a bookmark on the Bookmarks Toolbar.

I made a bookmark named Double Back and for the URL put:
                    javascript:history.go(-2)

That's it! Now when I'm in a forum or whatnot and want to back up
                    2 pages with one click I just click the Double Back bookmark.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                      Eclectician
                      • Nov 2006

hmmm just found this on Bookmarklets.com

I guess the "right" way to do it is:

javascript:window.history.go(-2)

Comment

• MilesAhead
                        Eclectician
                        • Nov 2006

messin' around with Double Back

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
                        hmmm just found this on Bookmarklets.com

I guess the "right" way to do it is:

javascript:window.history.go(-2)
                        Hmmmmmm I've been messin' around with this a bit. What I want is
                        a Marklet that backs up 2 pages in the history with one click, but
                        if there's only one page in the history, it will back up one page instead
                        of doing nothing.

history.length is supposed to give you the number of pages in
                        the history but it seems to vary with browsers and maybe even
                        settings. So this debug string should let you set it up to work
                        on your browser with your settings:
                        javascript:N=history.length;alert('History Length is ' +N)

For Firefox as I surfed I watched the Back Button. When it came
                        enabled I clicked the bookmarklet and it told me history.length was
                        2 instead of the 1 I expected. Whatever answer you get, try using
                        it in this javascript for the bookmarklet:

javascript:if(history.length==2){history.go(-1)}else{history.go(-2)}

If you get a '1' as N use that instead of '==2' above etc..

This seems to work pretty well.. at least in Firefox.

(With Opera I have a button from a custom button site but I haven't figured out how to have it show disabled if there's only 1 page in the history. But since it's only 2 Back commands with a pause in between, if there's only 1 page in the history it still backs up the one page. So you don't end up clicking for nothing.)
                        Last edited by MilesAhead; 30 Jun 2008, 05:15 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

• soup
                          Just Trying To Help
                          • Nov 2005

On my continuing trip through the wide world of computers, helping build systems, Operating Systems, I had just started looking into slipstreaming, when I came upon the following links I will supply. Now they are kind of out of date with SP3 coming in, but I am sure you will see how you can adapt. The normal rule applies, if you don't know what you are doing, don't do it until you do. If as usual I am the last to know about the program involved, I apologize up front, but if I find stuff, I like to share. I will hopefully be getting to it this weekend, so if you want to wait on my findings, you are quite welcome to.

Comment

• gonwk
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Dec 2005

REVO Unistaller

Hi folks,

I found this by accident ... so, I decided to share it with my buddies here at DD ...

Clean removal of any program from your PC. Uninstall and remove programs and software in Windows with Revo Uninstaller Pro easily!

I think you will find this a pretty handy software ...

Let me know if you like it.

G!

Comment

• soup
                              Just Trying To Help
                              • Nov 2005

Looks okay, might try it out, but it looks like it won't work on 64 bit systems. Thank you.

Comment

• PurpleDemon
                                Digital Video Expert
                                Digital Video Expert
                                • Mar 2006

My favorite shortcut is when I shut down my computer for the night I don't like navigating the mouse to go through the shut down process.

So I hit the windows start button then u then u and it closes everything and shuts down my computer properly.

I don't have a power or sleep button on my keyboard so this is quick.

I understand this only works in XP

Comment

Working...