• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Hi Burrell,

Nice Tip ... never noticed that before ... and I actually have a WINDOWS Icon button on my keyboard so I can do that & hit U twice ...

I'll try it this afternoon when shuting down for the day!

Thanks,

G!

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

short scripts

Many times you can use a scripting language to customize a function like shutting down your computer the way you want.

For example, using a few lines of AutoIt you can do a script to shutdown after a set number of seconds if Cancel isn't pressed.

If you mess around with a few easy scripts like this to start, you might
      find you enjoy programming

I assigned the text message displayed by MsgBox to $msg variable
      just to avoid word wrap posting here but you can just put the text
      inline instead. AutoIt3 is free and great for messing with little Windows
      system things without a lot of effort.

#cs ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

AutoIt Version: 3.2.12.1
      Author: MilesAhead

Script Function:
      Simple Windows Shutdown Script

#ce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

; Script Start - Add your code below here

$msg = "Computer will power down in 10 seconds "
      $msg = $msg + "unless you hit Cancel"
      $val = MsgBox(4096 + 1,"Shutdown Dialog",$msg,10)

; a return of 2 means the user pressed Cancel so we quit

If $val = 2 Then
      Exit
      EndIf

;uncomment the Shutdown call to really power down your machine
      ;Shutdown(9)

$msg = "You did not press Cancel so I would have shut down"
      ;comment out the following line when done testing results
      MsgBox(0,"Shutdown Dialog Test", $msg)

Comment

• gonwk
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2005

Miles,

I see what you are doing ... you are trying to make a Programmer out of me even if it kills you!

Thanks .. I'll try it on my stand-by if I BBQ it I won't be mad.

G!

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by gonwk
          Miles,

I see what you are doing ... you are trying to make a Programmer out of me even if it kills you!

Thanks .. I'll try it on my stand-by if I BBQ it I won't be mad.

G!
          Hehe. I think the most fun are these little programs less than 10 lines.
          For one thing, they are easy to debug!!

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

AM-Deadlink and Firefox 2 location search

I was trying to use AM-Deadlink to clean out my Firefox 2 bookmarks but when checking the results I found a lot of bookmarks went to a search page with a bunch of results related to something in the URL.

I found out what was happening is my Firefox is set to google for Location Bar Search. When it tries to go to the bookmark and gets error 404, page not found, then instead of reporting that back to AM-Deadlink, google was catching error 404 and substituting the results of an "I'm feeling lucky" search.

That doesn't make me feel lucky. Anyway, to fix it in Firefox 2:

type about:config in the location bar.

In the Filter edit line that pops up type keyword

If you are using google search in location bar you should see
            stuff about google in keyword.URL

Underneath that line should be keyword.enabled
            If it has the value true double click it and it should
            toggle to false.

Now when you enter a dead link you should get a 404 error instead
            of a search page and AM-Deadlink should work. After cleaning your
            bookmarks you can always go back and reset the toggle if you
            like location bar search.

edit: btw from what I read Firefox 3 stores bookmarks in a database format instead of a plain html file. The word is to use AM-Deaklink in Firefox 3 you need to export the bookmarks to a plain .html, clean them with AM-Deadlink, then import them again. Guess I'm sticking with Firefox 2.x for another 6 months.
            Last edited by MilesAhead; 7 Sep 2008, 04:55 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

• blutach
              Not a god of digital video
              • Oct 2004

I use FavOrg for icons and old bookmarks/favourites.

Regards
              Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
              [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

More info... it appears to avoid the search page substitution in Firefox 2 you also need
                to set [b]bookmarksftp.keyword[b] to false and keyword.URL to blank.
                Just double-click on keyword.URL and when the dialog asks for the URL string blank it
                out and click OK. I just tried it on a non-existent URL and got the Server Not Found so hopefully I've got it right now.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by blutach
                  I use FavOrg for icons and old bookmarks/favourites.

Regards

I'll take a look.

Er, ain't this an IE only gizmo?
                  Sorry but I can't feature IE.
                  Too many hostile BHOs out there.

Comment

• blutach
                    Not a god of digital video
                    • Oct 2004

Not sure if it is IE only. But it works.

Regards
                    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• MilesAhead
                      Eclectician
                      • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by blutach
                      Not sure if it is IE only. But it works.

Regards

Ok. It's worth taking a look at. It seems like it's tougher to get a 404 error than not these days. Just messing around I typed a bunch of expletives into the Firefox 2 location bar and it was tough to think of one that didn't return a search page! And this is with google search disabled!! They must be plugging into the DNS name servers now!! Sheesh!!

Comment

• soup
                        Just Trying To Help
                        • Nov 2005

Not sure if I posted this before, but it does come in handy. Update Checker, but like anything, if you are not sure, then check first before updating anything.

Download IObit Software Updater 5.1.0.15 for Windows. Fast downloads of the latest free software! Click now

Comment

• MilesAhead
                          Eclectician
                          • Nov 2006

Sort of a negative tip of the day: got ZDNet letter via email and one of the free
                          downloads is One Click App Killer

Well, it took 2 clicks, but my XP taskbar and start menu was gone!!
                          I'd say it needs more debuggin'

Comment

• gonwk
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by soup
                            Not sure if I posted this before, but it does come in handy. Update Checker, but like anything, if you are not sure, then check first before updating anything.

http://filehippo.com/updatechecker/
                            Hi Soup,

I personally DO NOT trust this "UpDate Checkers" ... even from within it's own program ... I always Turn-Off the Update Checker ... If I want to check Updates I do it myself.

G!

Comment

• soup
                              Just Trying To Help
                              • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by gonwk
                              Hi Soup,

I personally DO NOT trust this "UpDate Checkers" ... even from within it's own program ... I always Turn-Off the Update Checker ... If I want to check Updates I do it myself.

G!
                              That's no problem, but I have used it since it came out & had no problem. But then again, I don't update everything that it shows.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                                Eclectician
                                • Nov 2006

a few free Window toys

I posted a few free Windows toys on my site. They're just small
                                AutoIt3 programs I've been messing with to run programs at particular positions, resize or kill windows by title etc..

You can download directly from this link
                                RunAndPlace Utilities

They should work on just about any 32 bit Windows but
                                I've tried them out on XP and Vista.

Comment

Working...