X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Map network drive tip

If you have a small Lan like I do, then you probably have the mapped networked drives you use all the time set to automatically reconnect at logon. But on the first machine to boot(if you shut them off at night) there's no network running, so you probably wait for the other machine(s) to come up, then map the network drive manually in Explorer.

For some things the command line is actually easier, esp. if you use a .cmd file. In my case, every day I've been clicking on Map Network Drive in Explorer, then clicking on the workgroup, machine, shared folder etc..
    and then I figured I must be brain dead because a simple net use command would eliminate all that clicking.

On my setup the "other" machine is Windows 7. The shared folder I map to drive T: every day is \\NAME\Users\Public where \\NAME is the machine name on the network. A one liner .cmd file is all it takes... MapT.cmd
    net use T: \\NAME\Users\Public

Now instead of doing all that clicking, once I see the network is up and ready I just open a command prompt and enter MapT

way easier.

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

For some reason I could never get rid of "Open All in Tabs" in Firefox. I just reread this thread and it worked!! And after only a few years too!!!

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

btw if you are interested in the Screenshot Captor program, but hate to read manuals, there's a series of screen casts showing how to use program features:

Comment

• gonwk
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
          ... but hate to read manuals ...
          Hi Miles,

You must have been thinking of "lil ol me"

Thanks!

G!

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

I watched the first one. Right now I just use the capture that comes with Windows. But I saw on the video you can blur the background with one button press. I might have to try it out myself.

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

Hmmm, I watched a few more of the videos. If I can remember any of the stuff I should be able to use some basic features like blur background and draw arrows and stuff. Even has some scanner support. Guess I'll have to use the program now instead of default Windows screen cap.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

btw if anyone uses Find And Run Robot(FARR) that same link for the video tutorials for Screenshot Captor now points to videos on FARR usage:

edit: btw "Day 12" is the first FARR video

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

Firefox 3.x search plugin generator

This may be old hat to some of you Firefox aficionados, but I just found this neat search engine plugin generator that works with FF 3.x. I just used it in Minefield so it should work in the stable FF release.

Here's the link. It's pretty much fill in the form and make a .png from the site's favicon and you're good to go:

Comment

• dr_ml422
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2007

For those of you who have treated yourselves to one of the best innovations to date, the Docking Station is great for anything you want, but especially for cloning hdd's. Keep several different os's from the same mobo on internal hdd's using the docking station. Whenever you want just take the hdd outta your pc n PnP another one w/a os of your choice. bingo instantly you have a oyhere p.c
                    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                      Eclectician
                      • Nov 2006

dr_ml422 what are you using to do the cloning? Just wondering if there's a really good freeware for it.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • May 2007

Thnx for the reminder.

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
                        dr_ml422 what are you using to do the cloning? Just wondering if there's a really good freeware for it.

I knew I forgot to mention the imaging software. I use Acronis True Image, and I vouch 4 this proggie 120%. No more clean installs and restoring files. Just PnP.
                        SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                          Eclectician
                          • Nov 2006

I have Paragon Drive Backup 9.0 Personal.. also the Paragon Drive Copy 9 SE but I can't find a feature chart for the SE. Paragon runs these promos and as soon as they dispense with it, the info disappears. I have the registration info.. just don't remember exactly what features are in the Drive Copy. I like to have the software just in case I need it later on.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Dec 2006

I use the true image here also.
                            Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                              Eclectician
                              • Nov 2006

Supposedly Paragon Drive Backup will restore to a drive of equal capacity or larger. Drive Copy is supposed to be specialized. Guess I could just install it and put an expendable drive in the dock and see what happens.

edit: Heh, looks like I already installed it on my Windows7 machine when the promotion was running. Guess tomorrow it might be fun to see if I can make a bootable disk on an old 200 GB Sata and boot from the USB dock.
                              Last edited by MilesAhead; 14 Aug 2009, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • Dec 2006

True image will also do equal or greater then the orginal hard drive. I just cloned the HP laptop on to a 500 gig hd and I am in the process of putting the 500 gig into the laptop. I will be back on in about 20.
                                Last edited by doctorhardware; 14 Aug 2009, 03:14 PM.
                                Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...