Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mill
    Im Off To See The Wizard
    • Oct 2005

Your right theres a utility (awdflash.exe) asus calls it there awardBIOS Flash Utility
    Keep Plugin away

Comment

• AlienX69
      Interstellar Traveler
      • Feb 2005

Originally Posted by ed klein
      I update mainly for the SATA changes.
      First, Hi Ed long time no hear !!!!

How many SATA's drives do you have running off that mobo ?

I really am leaning towards that is part of my issue, I have four (4). Ever since I installed the last two for more working space and backup purposes is around the time I started getting burn errors and "Delayed Write Failed" msgs.

CLICK HERE to see where Chewy has been trying to help me cure my woes.

PS: I updated my BIOS for the SATA's as well !

AX

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

alien?

Comment

• AlienX69
          Interstellar Traveler
          • Feb 2005

@Chewy

The original PS in the case is 500w CLICK HERE ... Before I replace it I need a sure fired way to check if it's failing....

AX

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

they keep switching those power supply's around?

one way to test is get some premium media and make data disks or iso burns with cdspeed and your best burner and save graphs before and after unhooking some extra fans and drives

Comment

• AlienX69
              Interstellar Traveler
              • Feb 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
              one way to test is get some premium media and make data disks or iso burns with cdspeed and your best burner and save graphs before and after unhooking some extra fans and drives

OK will do within the next three days, will post results in the "Check Under My Hood" thread, i'll send you a PM when I post the results ... (edit: so I don't hijack this thread)

THX ..AX
              Last edited by AlienX69; 22 Jul 2006, 01:48 AM.

Comment

• AlienX69
                Interstellar Traveler
                • Feb 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
                they keep switching those power supply's around?
                Not sure what you meant here, the link in my post above is MY PS, it's a review on my case ..... if that's what you were refering to .....

Comment

• mill
                  Im Off To See The Wizard
                  • Oct 2005

Originally Posted by AlienX69
                  OK will do within the next three days, will post results in the "Check Under My Hood" thread, i'll send you a PM when I post the results ... (edit: so I don't hijack this thread)

THX ..AX
                  No problem here the more the merry
                  Keep Plugin away

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

this is the one I looked at?

skimming the cons I saw several PS issues

and nowhere were specs listed for the PS

testing will put the proof in the pudding

Comment

• AlienX69
                      Interstellar Traveler
                      • Feb 2005

Interesting .... I'll go take a look ...... I do like this case thou .... space, drive access, fans, etc .....

What is you preference on cases when building current set-ups ?

THX ...AX

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

I buy cheap cases and then add at most 2 hard drives and 2 opticals, one large 120mm fan and a name brand powersupply(450watts) but I don't game so no vidcard that take 200-250 watts by itself.

My overclock is limping along on a thermaltake right now and needs a 60$
                        powersupply, but my burns are fine, every now and then oc'ing fails or my raptor won't boot, 1-3 keystrokes and I am fine.

Comment

• AlienX69
                          Interstellar Traveler
                          • Feb 2005

I was thinking to myself more GOOD than bad (mostly 5 eggs) until I got to the eleventh page:
                          ================================================== ======
                          Great case, horrible PSU

Comments: I bought this case hoping that it would be my end all solution to my 5 HD and 2 dvd storage crisis. The case held all items perfectly. Unfortunately the PSU got as far as a quick flash of the lighted fans before dying.

I RMA'd the whole thing back to NewEgg and upon receipt of the new case, tried again. EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED. AX comment: WOW !!! two n a row

I am using my old Antec TRUE 430 in this case for now until my new Antec TRUE 550 shows up later this week. I see no point paying shipping and waiting another week and a half to return it yet again.
                          ================================================== ======
                          Yep I was thinking about trying to reorganize, what I will do is disconnect as mentioned what I don't use on a daily basis and see what transpires ... debating on whether or not I should install the Empire State Building cooling tower (LOL, Big) ? ? ? Oh don't know if I mentioned but at start-up the CPU temp reads in at 39-41c, same as at idle while surfing the web:

Temperatures:
                          Motherboard 34 °C (93 °F)
                          CPU 41 °C (106 °F)
                          WDC WD1600JD-00FYB0 38 °C (100 °F)
                          WDC WD1600JD-00FYB0 33 °C (91 °F)
                          Seagate ST3250823AS 37 °C (99 °F)
                          Seagate ST3250823AS 38 °C (100 °F)
                          Last edited by AlienX69; 22 Jul 2006, 02:59 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

temps look good and at most you've got another 5-6 weeks of hot weather?

I would love an antec 450 true power, but even they have had issues

I have toyed with this idea,

but it's not bad enough a problem

Comment

• UncasMS
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2001

sorry for the late reply (a new macbook is keeping me busy these days)

i have updated an asus a8n sli via the windows update numerous times but rather out of curiosity and not because i really needed to

i cant just other asus boards but this one is sort of unbreakable in terms of bios-flashing orchaning of bios settings

i'd normally go with "dont fix it if it aint broke" but this board can hardly be ruined so feel free to give it a go

of course i still dont use active armor as this function has ruined a win-installation quite some month ago when i had the board only for a short time
                              this feature never really seemed to work well with me and because i use a modem/firewall/router i dont really need that option anyway - it should still work flawlessly though

Comment

• mill
                                Im Off To See The Wizard
                                • Oct 2005

thanks for the reply Uncasms , .Windows updates? Are you talking about opional hardware updates, or flashing bios via windows?
                                Keep Plugin away

Comment

Working...