Attached Files

Comment

• blutach
        Not a god of digital video
        • Oct 2004

Way to go, grim reapers!

Regards
        Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
        [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• BR7
          He is coming to your little town!
          • Aug 2005

Mine is acting up again.It does the Wu up to 30% and wants to connect to the internet.It then goes for a little longer and does it again and eventually finishes the WU.The thing is it doesn't send the WU when it's done, it just starts over again.Any ideas on how to fix this?

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• jm1647
            An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
            • Apr 2005

Sometimes the upload servers have a problem and get backed up but eventually the WU's get uploaded. Your getting a new WU to work on and it will keep the completed WU's in queue until they can get sent. Your log should show how many have not been sent at the moment.

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
              It Was The Dog, I Swear!
              • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by UncasMS
              hi drinkordie,

judging from the points you are still having problems with the smp client on your quad?

if so, could you elaborate here a bit more so maybe other users can take a look as well.
              Sorry for my lateness in replying. The problem I was having is the same problem I had on the phenom quad with most other software I tried. The dang software just won't use more than one of those 2.2 Ghz cores. I got rid of that piece of [insert expletive here]. The extra cores were nearly useless.

Anyway, using dual-core now and F@h still only uses one core but it's 3.2ghz so it's coming along faster. This dual-core blows away the quad in so many ways. Performance is far superior to the quad, and the extra core is definitely not going to waste, especially when it comes to transcoding video
              My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

thanks for the update

i'm still puzzled, why f@h doesnt make use of more than one core when you say that video encoding does

and you are using the latest SMP fah client?

btw it's the same here: a dual-core with 3+ghz seems the better choice these days compared to a quad with ~2.5 since most applications dont seem to profit from more than 2 cores anyway

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                  It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                  • Nov 2003

thanks for the update

i'm still puzzled, why f@h doesnt make use of more than one core when you say that video encoding does
                  I have a theory on that. It could be that the video encoding is a multi-threaded app? There is actually several things happening. There is decoding the original video, encoding the new, and then there is also audio decoding and encoding going on simultaneously. When I check my core usage, both cores are at or near 100% and they both heat up to around 38C

Allow me to correct myself, when just sitting idle with F@h running, it uses about 50% of both cores. It never seems to take advantage of all unused processor time, even if I don't need it for anything else. The result is that F@h is still only using 3.2Ghz maximum, with the workload balanced between the two cores. I'm pretty happy with this, but I wouldn't mind using 100% of both cores from time to time. Any idea how I can get it to do this? I really have no clue which client I'm using, there was so many to choose from, I just picked one that sounded like an appropriate one.
                  My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                    It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                    • Nov 2003

btw it's the same here: a dual-core with 3+ghz seems the better choice these days compared to a quad with ~2.5 since most applications dont seem to profit from more than 2 cores anyway
                    On the quad it was even worse than that. Many applications didn't use more than one core. Video encoding used just 2, like you said. F@h only used one core.
                    My toy:

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                      It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                      • Nov 2003

I did a little experimenting and switched users in windows, opened F@h and switched back, leaving F@h running under both users. Now both cores are at 100%. However, it looks like the other user instance simply picked up the same work unit I was already working on. It remains to be seen if there is any advantage in running it like this. Any thoughts?

Here's an update. One user picked up the work unit I was already working on. After a few minutes, the other user picked up a new work unit!
                      One user says 850/1500. The other user now says 0/1500. So, it appears there is an advantage. Running 2 instances under 2 different users that seem to be working on 2 different work units simultaneously. Looks like I'm now doing twice the work. Nice.
                      Last edited by DrinkOrDie; 9 Apr 2008, 05:57 AM. Reason: Updated info
                      My toy:

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                        It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                        • Nov 2003

OK, now this is really weird. The instance that said 0/1500 was definately a different work unit than the other instance which said 850/1500. No real surprise there. But I came back 5 minutes later and the one that said 0/1500 and never even got one frame done, is now gone. Now it's a completely different work unit and it says 800/5000. I come back in one minute and it says 150/5000. What the heck? I come back a few minutes later, and now both instances are working on the same work unit. This is very strange. I'm so confused.
                        Last edited by DrinkOrDie; 9 Apr 2008, 09:57 AM.
                        My toy:

Comment

• jm1647
                          • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by DrinkOrDie
                          ... I really have no clue which client I'm using, there was so many to choose from, I just picked one that sounded like an appropriate one.

Download the SMP client

This is the client I use for my dual core. And UncasMS also uses it IIRC
                          Windows: V6 Beta SMP clients
                          Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008 SMP client console version 5.91 beta6

FAQ with install directions (XP and 2000 need .net to work)

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                            It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                            • Nov 2003

I'm using the graphical client. I did read up quite a bit on their page learning about the different clients. Based on what I learned, I had considered installing the very same client you mentioned. So you've used it, you think it's better? My main goal here is to get more points per hour by using more processor time, but I don't want to screw anything up so I want stability too.
                            My toy:

Comment

• jm1647
                              • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by DrinkOrDie
                              ... So you've used it, you think it's better? My main goal here is to get more points per hour by using more processor time, but I don't want to screw anything up so I want stability too.
                              I've been running it for a long time on my AMD 3600 X2. The SMP client is the one with the big point WU's that usually run about 1760 points right now. I usually get one done every 2 days or so.

Comment

• UncasMS
                                Super Moderator
                                • Nov 2001

go for the smp client as suggested!

it will bring you big pts

Comment

Working...