X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

Yeah, you would have to remove that part of the activation notify, maybe a way somehow for an ultra hacker type!

But I don't really mind that part; If I can just run the slipstream cd & walk away, come back 10 min. later & have a fresh desktop I am happy! The activation is a minor thing.

Comment

• Budreaux
      • Jan 2006

I agree... I mean all i do now is just overwrite the activation files with the saved ones from my last activation.
      This isn't an illegal thing btw..it's just a way to avoid going through the steps and getting the same result.
      You can;t use activation files from another computer to activate a different copy... the key generated is based off hardware id tags of hardware installed on that rig. So if you changed out your motherboard and reused everything else then reinstalled windows, you would generate a different activation key.

Comment

• katzdvd
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Feb 2006

This isn't an illegal thing btw..it's just a way to avoid going through the steps and getting the same result.
        You can;t use activation files from another computer to activate a different copy... the key generated is based off hardware id tags of hardware installed on that rig.
        Sure enough. I wasn't implying anything illegal, I just meant that it is a minor step to do, since the first thing I do after securing the pc, is go on the 'net & activate. It would be nice to have it all automated, though, I agree. I guess the activation key is (probably) date stamped.

Comment

• katzdvd
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Feb 2006

Ok, I goofed up up a bit here; I forgot about the omega vid. drivers & mistakenly installed the regular nvidia drivers. After I realized the mistake, I uninstalled them & did install the omega drivers, or at least I am trying to...

After install, pc needs to reboot, & then upon reboot it sees new hardware & wants to install the vid drivers again. I guess there is some traces of the original drivers left in the system.

How do I fix? I am guessing the easy way would be to do a system restore? & then try to install the omega drivers?

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

I would think that would be the easiest to do is to roll it back to before you loaded the drivers.
            Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• katzdvd
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Feb 2006

Well, I guess I beat this one enough; Did a sys. restore, tried to re-install the omega drivers. During install it asks me for SP2 disk, which I insert & then it says it is the incorrect disc.

This OS is a slipstreamed install, but I did a standard install when I created it, I really didn't remove anything except a few games, etc.

The final result is that the pc needs to reboot, & when it restarts, the drivers are not installed. So, to make it easy, I just installed the regular nvidia drivers. Any more suggestions?

Comment

• Budreaux
                • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by katzdvd
                Well, I guess I beat this one enough; Did a sys. restore, tried to re-install the omega drivers. During install it asks me for SP2 disk, which I insert & then it says it is the incorrect disc.

This OS is a slipstreamed install, but I did a standard install when I created it, I really didn't remove anything except a few games, etc.

The final result is that the pc needs to reboot, & when it restarts, the drivers are not installed. So, to make it easy, I just installed the regular nvidia drivers. Any more suggestions?
                Do the reboot and install teh drivers.
                Omega's driver install first installs the software and "places" the drivers for for installation in a folder.
                Once you reboot, it then installs the drivers for teh vid card.

Comment

• katzdvd
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Feb 2006

Once you reboot, it then installs the drivers for teh vid card.
                  As per my previous post, that doesn't happen in my case After the reboot, desktop appears, install doesn't continue...

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

Do not install Nvidia Omega drivers, AFAIK they have not been maintained for a few years (and the official ones 6 long months!). The official ones are "OK" after disabling one or two msconfig entries.
                    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...