Jake Wants a New Computer or to build one!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jm1647
    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
    • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by jm1647
    Anybody still looking for a HDD that won't break the bank

200GB SATA II/300 8MB buffer 3yr warranty from Maxtor at frys.com with free shipping $49.99

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/502...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
    Someone said frys description is wrong, it has a 16MB buffer

Comment

• katzdvd
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Feb 2006

Well I either read here or someone told me that's it's harder to boot from the sata drive. I know the ease of and am comfortable with IDE.
      Not that much harder really, only different; but you gotta learn sometime, or technology will pass by with you on the sidelines

(Throw me in coach, I'm ready to play!)

Plus, the guys on here are top notch, & know what to do in case of difficulty. Don't limit yourself to pata, if you can afford to squeeze the budget a little further. Send back the (2) IDE drives for credit, or sell them to that kid at work?!?

Then after that fact I was reading SOMETHING about NOT slaving the two burners together
      They say that, & Chewy is getting ready to chase me at this point (just how fast can a wookie run anyway, 'cause if I get a headstart, I just might make it

I have (4) burners slaved right now in my current setup, (2 on PCI/IDE card) & in the build that I am currently doing, I am thinking of trying 6 or possibly 8 burners in the system. (so you may see a thread referencing that in the future, if it doesn't work out

Reason for multiple drives: I like to do queue burning; Load up all those discs, queue all the files, let it run while I am away doing something else.

Master/Slave configs may not be optimal, or even accepted (note the hair raising on Chewy's neck), but I usually don't follow ALL the rules if I can break some & get away with it

And be prepared for a "boot - up" quirk or mishap, it (usually always) happens during a new build

Seems I remember reading that Thomas Edison tried something like 15,000 times (the number is in question, but I know it was Many attempts) before he succeeded with finding the proper materials that would work for the light bulb. So, if he hadn't kept trying new things, where would we all be?

I say, live a little, don't be a stick in the mud, can't teach old dog new tricks, all that stuff

After all, if you don't give it a shot, you never know what you can accomplish!

Now, if that ain't a kick in the seat, I don't know what is! (I'm gonna start running now)
      Last edited by katzdvd; 28 Mar 2007, 04:50 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

having 2 dvd burners on the same cable is fine as long as they don't try to talk to each other

Comment

• katzdvd
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Feb 2006

having 2 dvd burners on the same cable is fine as long as they don't try to talk to each other
          Such as COF ?

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

exactly, 8X won't work on the same cable, 16x will in certain circumstances
            when the drives don't share a cable

Comment

• katzdvd
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Feb 2006

exactly, 8X won't work on the same cable, 16x will in certain circumstances
              when the drives don't share a cable
              Interesting, I learned something new today; I knew they were problematic, but I didn't realize about the different speeds issue.

Comment

• katzdvd
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Feb 2006

I mis-spoke a bit here too; I actually meant to refer more to the use of multiple drives on PCI/IDE cards, in which i considering putting (2) in my new build

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

since the drives are reading and writting thru the same cable/controller at the same time, about 4X is all they will do

kind of like 2 way traffic on a one lane road

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

one card can handle 2 drives on seperate cables just about as well as they would on the motherboard, but expect problems with cards

Comment

• katzdvd
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Feb 2006

I have (2) 1650's Master/slave on that Rosewill card right now, & so far it seems to be working with no glitches that I am aware of.

If I put a total of 4 on that card, Master/slave I guess I would be opening a can of worms...

Comment

• JakeBlues
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        • Dec 2006

Chewy and hardware guys... I need a little guidence...

Originally Posted by Chewy
                        one card can handle 2 drives on seperate cables just about as well as they would on the motherboard, but expect problems with cards
                        .. What kinda problems with WHAT cards? (please preach on...)

The reason I bought 2 of the same samsung drives (other than you pointed them out) Like I said is the IDE. I am the guy that burns ONE disk at a time!
                        I let the one read it ...ripit4 grrrr the "one click" and then after I do my things and ready for bed I'll burn that one disk later on.
                        While I talked to newegg today and got a RMA number... If I don't have to ... I won't. as long as slaving the 2 burners on one cable and only using one at a time won't either be problematic or cause a loss of quality, I'll hang on to them. Same with the 40 gig HDs... Yeah there maybe a sata slot there but when I get some more money saved I'll get a larger sata HD and use it as the primary and the other 2 as back ups. I REALLY like having storage space away from the main. Later will it be a pain in the arse to use an Sata drive as the main bootup? Like she said you guys will help I know... but I have a new baby and I really am trying to be cool with the cash.
                        I do have 2 physical address for memory stix for rebates! (heh)

I mean what the heck is the USB for?? My memory flash cards for my cameras and.. what else? I haven't really used the USB except that Iomega dvd superwriter and the sameboy at work already gave me $25 for it I think I paid $20 plus like 6 shipping and hand .. I think (I get the sony and the Iomega prices mixed up like 5-6 difference that's it)
                        Thank ya bro. thanks Katz.. thanks guys
                        Last edited by JakeBlues; 28 Mar 2007, 11:27 AM. Reason: more info
                        ElwoodsBrotherJake "...I'm on a mission from God, to help me and others from making coasters!

Comment

• JakeBlues
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          • Dec 2006

Originally Posted by katzdvd
                          Such as COF ?
                          you and him are kinda talking over my head.. but I want to understand
                          what the heck is COF? I haven't followed the last few well.
                          Sorry

But since I am not like a master burner, it seems like I wouldn't have problems...
                          OHH KAT guess what? Yesterday that CPU/MO-BO combo went down ANOTHER $5!!!
                          hehehe I swear it!
                          Last edited by JakeBlues; 28 Mar 2007, 11:33 AM. Reason: add info!
                          ElwoodsBrotherJake "...I'm on a mission from God, to help me and others from making coasters!

Comment

• JakeBlues
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            • Dec 2006

Originally Posted by jm1647
                            Someone said frys description is wrong, it has a 16MB buffer
                            Well a 16 meg buffer sounds better than a 8 meg one for what we do here.. or am I mistaken?
                            Also you buy a HD sometimes and you get a msg that says "congrats the 18 gig HD you bought is really a 20, 2 more gigs for free.. thanks for buys with us,, etc etc"

Comment

• katzdvd
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Feb 2006

What kinda problems with WHAT cards? (please preach on...)
                              PCI/IDE add on cards, issues with BIOS/ buggy drivers. Don't worry about it 'till you cross that bridge

I am the guy that burns ONE disk at a time!
                              You say that now, but wait 'till the burning "bug" bites you full force!

Yeah there maybe a sata slot there but when I get some more money saved I'll get a larger sata HD and use it as the primary and the other 2 as back ups. I REALLY like having storage space away from the main. Later will it be a pain in the arse to use an Sata drive as the main bootup? Like she said you guys will help I know... but I have a new baby and I really am trying to be cool with the cash.
                              Sure, you can always upgrade later when the funds aren't so tight - take care of that baby for now!

SATA is just a nice way to go if you are able to take advantage of it with you mobo. Something to look into for the future of this pc.

I mean what the heck is the USB for??
                              I have (4) printers on USB, & a hub for mp3 player, etc. I hate USB mouse & keyboards too!

what the heck is COF?
                              CopyOnTheFly It's wookie termonology - you'll learn to understand it once you're here long enough

Yesterday that CPU/MO-BO combo went down ANOTHER $5!!!
                              They always do...

Comment

• jm1647
                                An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                                • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by JakeBlues
                                Well a 16 meg buffer sounds better than a 8 meg one for what we do here.. or am I mistaken?
                                Also you buy a HD sometimes and you get a msg that says "congrats the 18 gig HD you bought is really a 20, 2 more gigs for free.. thanks for buys with us,, etc etc"
                                With the buffer, bigger is better.

Usually with the HDDs it's the opposite format it and ya lose alot of GBs. I think my 500GB went down to 465GB after format. I forget who it was, but somebody sued one of the drive mfrs and got big $$$$ for sorta false advertising the capacity because it was before formatting.

Comment

Working...