X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

@ dave

lucky you and good job with the pix you showed us so far!

btw i dont think hands/heads of the crowd make the postion from which you shot a bad one. it actually gives the pictures the very note of being right in the middle of the crowd where the action takes place.

@ paglamon

i can only say: i envy you for those trips, the beautiful landscape you experience and the wonderful pictures you take

Comment

• paglamon
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2005

i can only say: i envy you for those trips, the beautiful landscape you experience and the wonderful pictures you take
      Thank you ,master, for your kind words. The mountain landscapes just never fail to amaze me. I am really blessed to have the opportunity to run to the Himalayas whenever I feel the need to do so.
      sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• gonwk
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by paglamon
        A panorama of Gurudongmar Lake,India at 17100 ft. It is the 5th highest fresh water lake in the world. Went there in May this year.
        Hi Pag,

Long time no talk ...

How cold was up there? BTW, No Birds or Animals ... is this normal!?!?

G!

Comment

• dave.schwartz
          • Aug 2010

Concert Photos

@ UNcasMS

I agree with your coments. I think shooting from the audience often adds a perspective that's not typical to this style of editorial photgraphy. At most larger venues that I shoot we are required to remain within the barrier, shoot the first three songs or 15 minutes (which ever comes first) and are sequestered while our camera remains with in the venue. The last thing the promoter wants is a photog shooting from the audience.

I've noticed some great shots on this thread. Do you usually discuss landscapes? Am I the odd man out?

Dave

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

i dont think there is a special topic or preference here among us users of this forum who like to share a picture every once in a while.

but because the kind of photography you present here requires special access rights which not too many of us have i think yes: you are the odd man out

people are welcome to share whatever they feel comfortable with and it's nice to see new areas of photography here so keep posting some of your pix.

+++

btw these pictures dont really count, as it was a gig of a coverband and i have been to the venue quite often so it was no big deal taking my camera inside:
            click
            Last edited by UncasMS; 6 Aug 2010, 07:20 AM.

Comment

• dave.schwartz
              • Aug 2010

hahahahahahahaha

"These pictures don't count but..."

All pictures count my friend! Actually I like what you did. You obeyed the first rule of concert phtography... NO FLASH. The band doesn't want to be blinded and fall off the stage!

And as far as "special access", I don't know. A couple of weeks back I stood next to a guy trying to shoot the show with a cell phone camera. He was in the pit, he had the pass... I drag $6k of gear to most shows and find myself competeing for a shot with cell phone guy! Actually I hope his stuff turned out good.

You know some of the toughest shows I've ever shot were at small venues. I think you did very well with the shots you posted. The smaller clubs are a real challenge because of the lighting. Most places you can't see your hand in front of your face. I end up shooting with 1/25 shutter speed. You might have noticed from the Scorions pix that the shutter was around 1/250.

Comment

• paglamon
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Aug 2005

Hi Pag,

Long time no talk ...

How cold was up there? BTW, No Birds or Animals ... is this normal!?!?

G!
                It was May and the time was around 9.30 A.M. The sun was out on a very clear day.So, it was not too cold. Temperature drops about 2 degrees C for every 1000 ft. altitude. Considering the sea level temperature at that time around the region to be about 34-38 deg C, you can very well estimate that at 17100 ft. it will be hovering around 0-4 deg C.
                A few birds I did see wading on the lake for a few moments.Have that on my video,but could not get a snapshot.Yaks do frequent these lands but at lower altitudes where they will find atleast some grass to feed upon.
                sigpic

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by dave.schwartz
                  hahahahahahahaha

"These pictures don't count but..."

All pictures count my friend! Actually I like what you did. You obeyed the first rule of concert phtography... NO FLASH. The band doesn't want to be blinded and fall off the stage!

And as far as "special access", I don't know. A couple of weeks back I stood next to a guy trying to shoot the show with a cell phone camera. He was in the pit, he had the pass... I drag $6k of gear to most shows and find myself competeing for a shot with cell phone guy! Actually I hope his stuff turned out good.

You know some of the toughest shows I've ever shot were at small venues. I think you did very well with the shots you posted. The smaller clubs are a real challenge because of the lighting. Most places you can't see your hand in front of your face. I end up shooting with 1/25 shutter speed. You might have noticed from the Scorions pix that the shutter was around 1/250.
                  of course using a flash is an absolute no-go for concert photography and i know what you're driving at with people using their cell phones to shoot some pix.

sometimes they turn out to be better than expected but in most cases they are far from a quality level i'd concider decent and above all: creative photography (due to lack of d-o-f or the ability to use a wide range of focal length)

the poor lighting was a real drawback in that venue, that's true.
                  there was always so little light that i had to push iso to 1600 to be able to use ~1/100 with f2.8 or 4

Comment

• dave.schwartz
                    • Aug 2010

New Landscape

I'm hearing some crickets in here. Maybe I should post an image or two. I thought I would post a landscape. This was taken in Maui a few weeks back.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

how much coffee did you have before taking that picture, dave?

Comment

• dave.schwartz
                        • Aug 2010

What are you trying to say here? hahahaha

Comment

• paglamon
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Aug 2005

A grasshopper was sitting on the window-curtain rod in my room yesterday.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010520.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	362.2 KB
ID:	916538 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010521.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	459.6 KB
ID:	916539
                          sigpic

Comment

• dave.schwartz
                            • Aug 2010

Cool pix of the grasshopper. I like the detail. Did you ask him to say, "Cheese"? hahahaha

Comment

• dave.schwartz
                              • Aug 2010

Evgenia

Alright, lets try a non-landscape image since my "coffee" seemed to be showing in that Maui picture! This was taken last Saturday evening.

Nikon D80
                              Shutter: 1.5 sec.
                              F-Stop: f/4.5
                              ISO: 400
                              Focal Length: 30mm
                              Lens: 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5
                              No Flash
                              Attached Files

Comment

• dave.schwartz
                                • Aug 2010

More Evgenia