AVG Free updates and flags CPUZ as a virus !

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blutach
    Not a god of digital video
    • Oct 2004

AVG Free updates and flags CPUZ as a virus !

CPU-Z is flagged as a trojan horse by the latest AVG. I am certain this is a false positive - see here for virustotal's analysis.

Strange that this very trusted program can be flagged today and not yesterday.

Now the $64 question. Anybody know how to enable it without disabling the antivirus prog?

Regards
    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

• Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

the free-for-personal use version of 8.0 should be out in a few months
    $64 question

dollars is what they are after

yahoo toolbar is being integrated

look for a hundred or so mvp security experts to drop them off the reccomended list

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

Avira AntiVir Personal - FREE Antivirus

seems to be one of only 2 good ones left

many are just using online scans

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

have you sampled this 1 Chewy? Bloated like avast or very reasonably behaves?
        SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

avast is very good with a heavy footprint

avira is probably the top rated free one right now among security experts

seems to have a smaller footprint without sacrificing functionality

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

is avast or any other antivirus needed when you're not on the web? really asking about my post in your real time post where you said you turn it off so it won't keep running after boot. verizon told me they have a security feature already in the modem. don't think it's the sort of router you've got or that can be had. figure if i could be safe w/sd helper n zonealarm just when i'm offline doing video work then i'll turn it off. thnx.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• cynthia
              Super Moderatress
              • Jan 2004

Avast was something I tried before and it made my internet connection very slow even if I'm on a 100Mbps connection.

There is also Comodo that seems to have both firewall and anti virus for free.

Comodo Internet Security Pro is an advanced internet security software that offers complete protection against all known & unknown threats. Download Today!

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

Hi Cynthia. Comodo was suggested by a few of the fellas w/mixed concerns. one being the delay in boot-up. Soup confirmed this but said after rebooting it calms down. Avast works like Chewy mentioned and I also haven't caught a thing since installing it, but geez it consumes a helluva lot. To make a change the trade-off would have to include less resource hogging w/just as secure protection. ZoneAlarm doesn't hog really and also been good. Probably the combined firewall w/antivirus is what makes Comodo slow at initial boot?

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

Make durn sure you aren't running 2 anti-virus or 2 firewall programs at the same time

Now this is especially hard to even tell if you have been testing, some malware is easier to clean off your system than these programs

When I tested avast a while back I wanted to make sure it did not load at bootup, I already had norton's 2003 installed and it would lay dormant fine.

Even after turning every module starting at bootup off I kept finding services running.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2007

found services running from avast I presume? I haven't tried anything yet to see what would b a better pick. I definitely would do a complete uninstall to the best of my ability. both w/an uninstaller from themselves and a reg cleaner. also manually. had a helluva time eliminating norton 2006 completely a while back if you remember. Loco did too.

seems some of these anti-virus proggies are peculiar to certain makes and programs on them. they'll interfere w/some apps. on some pcs and won't on others. I noticed that since I've switched to .iso in my back-ups and burning w/imgburn, not 1 single disc was bad. Go figure. The few bad 1's were after updates to my backup proggie, and you did suggest turning off avast b4 upgrading or downloading anything. Coincidence or not it doesn't matter. Maybe by tonight I'll post a screenshot of my task manager. that way you'll see what we both know anyway about avast being a hog. Lucky I put those 2gb of ram in.

Comment

• blutach
                      Not a god of digital video
                      • Oct 2004

BTW: This was fixed within the day after submitting the files to AVG. I know AVG free is a tiny bit restrictive, but otherwise, I think it pretty good.

Regards
                      Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                      [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• dr_ml422
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • May 2007

Hi guys. Well I installed Avira last night after a very clean uninstall of Avast. Wow, what a difference. Like it very much so far. Very easy on ram and the interface is as simple as it could possibly be. Way to go for the latest pull up on virusware Chewy. Hopefully this'll help anyone else out there as it's intended to do. Thnx fellas.

Comment

• snagel
                          • Apr 2006

re: Chewy

Originally Posted by Chewy
                          Avira AntiVir Personal - FREE Antivirus

seems to be one of only 2 good ones left

many are just using online scans
                          What is the other one?

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

this is about a year old

Anti-virus software are programs that detect, cleanse, and erase harmful virus files on a computer, Web server, or network. Unchecked, virus files can unintentionally be forwarded to others, including trading partners and thereby spreading infection. Because new viruses regularly emerge, anti-virus software should be updated frequently. Anti-virus software can scan the computer memory and disk drives for malicious code. They can alert the user if a virus is present, and will clean, delete (or quarantine) infected files or directories. Please download a free anti-virus software from one these excellent vendors NOW:

1) Antivir PersonalEdition Classic - Free anti-virus software for Windows. Detects and removes more than 50,000 viruses. Free support.
                            2) avast! 4 Home Edition - Anti-virus program for Windows. The home edition is freeware for noncommercial users.
                            3) AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition - Free edition of the AVG anti-virus program for Windows.

It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts. If you choose to install more than one antivirus program on your computer, then only one of them should be active in memory at a time.

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

here's a java can

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. A malicious site could render Java content under older, vulnerable versions of Sun's software if the user has not removed them. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
                              • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 5 and save it to your desktop.
                              • Scroll down to where it saysThe Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications..
                              • Click the Download button to the right.
                              • Select Windows on platform combobox and check the box that says:
                                Accept License Agreement. Click continue.
                              • The page will refresh.
                              • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
                              • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
                              • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
                              • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
                              • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
                              • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
                              • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
                              • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u5-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

Comment

Working...