X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrinkOrDie
    It Was The Dog, I Swear!
    • Nov 2003

DVD Drive Won't show Disk Label or type

Hey everyone, thought I would run this by you and see if anyone might know what's going on.

I went on a burning spree today and when I finished, I noticed that my optical drive suddenly won't show disk label or type anymore.

When My Computer folder is open, and I insert a DVD or CD, the drive label doesn't refresh. It won't change to show the drive label or disk type unless I reboot with the disk in the drive. Even then, if I change disks, it stays the same. I can change from a DVD to a CD and it still says theres a dvd in the drive. In spite of this, I can still open the drive letter and access the files, but if it says there's dvd in the drive when it's really an audio CD, right-clicking gives me the option to play with powerDVD, as if it's a dvd when it's not.

Very annoying.
    My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

I turn off AutoInsertNotification and AutoPlay for all my optical drives. I think I've noticed what you're talking about on at least the last 3 versions of Windows I've used(maybe going back as far back as Win98 iirc.) I wouldn't worry about it. If you really need the auto play try TweakUI and see if it got shut off somehow. I don't use explorer to look at files on my optical drives. I use FreeCommander. For some reason it seems to be able to look at discs that hang explorer.

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
      It Was The Dog, I Swear!
      • Nov 2003

Thanks for your input Miles. I have already "been there, done that" when it comes to AutoInstertNotification and Autoplay. My problem doesn't seem to be related to that. Before I posted this thread, I already reset those options to default and I didn't need TweakUI to do it. I do use TweakUI for other things, good program to have.

When I insert a disk, basically nothing happens. Auto Insert Notification should be asking me what to do, like it does on a new windows installation, but it doesn't. It doesn't change the volume label when I insert a labeled disk, it doesn't change when I insert a dvd, or CD. it just sits there and still says "DVD-RAM Drive" just like it does when there is no disk in the drive. Yet, it does tell me how many Gigs or megs of data are on the disk that I just inserted, CD or DVD. AND, I can still access files on a CD even if the volume label in "My Computer" still says I have DVD in the drive. Very strange.

If I put in a commercial DVD of TRANSFORMERS, Nothing happens. If I reboot with the disk in the drive, the drive letter will say "TRANSFORMERS_VANILLA" or something like that. It shows the volume label and disk type.

If I take that dvd disk out, and insert a CD with any kind of file on it, the drive letter still insists that the disk is "TRANSFORMERS_VANILLA" and still insists that it is a DVD. Yet I can still access the files on the CD.

That's not the weirdest part. If I am logged on as "GUEST" the problem disappears. Under Guest account, the drive label and disk type changes normally when changing disks.

I'm totally baffled. Are You?
      My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• Westly32
        • Jun 2006

I've had the same problems lately as well.. Wish I knew what the asuse was.

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
          It Was The Dog, I Swear!
          • Nov 2003

asuse? I wish I knew what that was too... hmm... My board is an ASUS, but I don't follow what you mean.

Anyway, the only changes I've made to the system is 2 software installations, (DVD related) both of which are not allowed to be discussed in this forum. I wonder if you installed them too. Before that, it was working fine. Furthermore, they were not installed to the guest account, which, as I mentioned, doesn't have the problem. Please be so kind as to come back and post, if you solve this problem. TKS.
          Last edited by DrinkOrDie; 2 Apr 2008, 11:27 AM.
          My toy:

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

or imgburn's filterdriverloadorder might give us a clue?

I assume you have something running under the admin install that doesn't run under the guest

probably something very powerful?

hopefully not the sonic virus?

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
              It Was The Dog, I Swear!
              • Nov 2003

Thanks Chewy, I'm sure I don't have a virus. I've been a PC "geek" since the days of DOS 4 and I have NEVER had an infection. Using AVG and Zone Alarm PRO versions, updated daily, regular scans.
              The most damaging things I've had have been due to poorly written installers/uninstallers, and just bad software in general.

Here are the results provided by the download you directed me to. I don't really know what I'm looking for. Do you see a potential problem here?
              ----------------------------------------------------
              Filter Driver Load Order http://www.bustrace.com
              ----------------------------------------------------

Upper Device Filter: redbook
              Device Object: SONY DVD RW DRU-180A
              Lower Class Filter: ASAPIW2k
              Lower Class Filter: Afc
              Lower Device Filter: imapi

Driver Name: redbook.sys
              File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
              File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver
              File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) [5.1.2600.2180]
              Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
              Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180 [5.1.2600.2180]
              Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

Driver Name: asapiw2k.sys
              File Description: ASAPI
              File Version: 6, 0, 0, 1 [6.0.0.1]
              Product Name: asapi
              Product Version: 6, 0, 0, 1 [6.0.0.1]
              Company Name: VOB Computersysteme GmbH

Driver Name: afc.sys
              File Description: Arcsoft(R) ASPI Shell
              File Version: 1, 0, 0, 2 [1.0.0.2]
              Product Name: Arcsoft(R) ASPI Shell
              Product Version: 1, 0, 0, 2 [1.0.0.2]
              Company Name: Arcsoft, Inc.

Driver Name: imapi.sys
              File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver
              File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) [5.1.2600.2180]
              Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
              Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180 [5.1.2600.2180]
              Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
              My toy:

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

remember what day it is?

redbook and the imapi can stay, the aspi should die, it's a plague on xp

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                  It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                  • Nov 2003

I'm surprised to even see that one. A certain DVD tool keeps telling me I don't have Aspi drivers. That's weird. However, even if it's not the cause of the problem, I'll get rid of that and see how it goes. Thanks.

oh, P.S. it says ASAPI, not ASPI. same thing?
                  My toy:

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

funny how so many of the web hits say cd drive quits working

good tools leave the bus alone(spti)

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                      It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                      • Nov 2003

Well, my drive didn't exactly quit working. Let me show you something I found on a web page:

"What is ASPI?

An ASPI driver is required for DVD ripping. Windows 95 or 98 comes with the ASPI manager pre-installed, while NT does not. To tell if you have an ASPI manager installed, look for a file called WNASPI32.DLL in your Windows system directory (c:\windows\system or c:\winnt\system32 are common locations)."

When I searched my computer for this WNASPI32.DLL, I found it in 5 different locations. 3 of those locations just happen to be in the installation folders for the programs I use most.

I've always had ASPI drivers installed on XP machines before, never had a problem like this, so I don't know what you mean when you say it's a "plague". never had an ASPI related problems.

When I search for asapiw2k.sys, which shows up on the filter driver report, it's only located in windows\system32\drivers.

So, now I'm really confused. To be honest, I never learned what any of this stuff is, or what it does. So what is it? a DLL or a .SYS? duh!!!
                      Last edited by DrinkOrDie; 2 Apr 2008, 12:32 PM.
                      My toy:

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

LuK of imgburn explained it, those filters are like extra links in the chain, the more links the more chances of messages getting garbled

these filters can also be like rootkits(low level drivers that try to trick windows and other programs) if you break something you can always reinstall and wait for it to break windows again

aspi dates back to windows 98 days

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                          It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                          • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by Chewy
                          LuK of imgburn explained it, those filters are like extra links in the chain, the more links the more chances of messages getting garbled

these filters can also be like rootkits(low level drivers that try to trick windows and other programs) if you break something you can always reinstall and wait for it to break windows again

aspi dates back to windows 98 days
                          OK, now it's like you're speaking another language. didn't understand much of that. and it's not because I don't know who "LuK of imgburn" is, or because I didn't read it. I know aspi dates way back, I've run into it before. Just never understood it, still don't. All I know is, I gotta have it to do what I want to do.

Anyway, here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to log in under guest account, where the problem doesn't exist, and see what's different(if anything) using that software you pointed me to. BRB.
                          My toy:

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                            It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                            • Nov 2003

OK, well nevermind. The bustrace filter driver thingy doesn't work under guest account. How convenient.

I have pretty good instincts when it comes to this stuff, and I tend to think we're on the wrong track anyway.
                            Last edited by DrinkOrDie; 2 Apr 2008, 01:02 PM.
                            My toy:

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

of course guests aren't allowed that deep into the OS

that's why I think the guest account is immune to this problem, the filter drivers can't load

Comment

Working...