Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrinkOrDie
    It Was The Dog, I Swear!
    • Nov 2003

filter drivers, filter drivers. I have a feeling that if one of them is causing the problem, and I get rid of it, I'll also get rid of the ability to do the things I want to do.
    My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

don't worry they are probably just corrupt, use imgburn to remove them and then test as you reload those unknown tools

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
        It Was The Dog, I Swear!
        • Nov 2003

Problem Solved

One of those DVD programs I installed, I will now reveal, because I have uninstalled it and will never try using it again. It never worked for me anyway. All it did was burn coasters. Much better off burning to dual-layer DVD, so I don't have to shrink it.

Just search the (closed) forums for "DVDshrink", and you will see the word "DVDshrink" usually followed by the word "Problems".

Once I uninstalled it, my problem went away. Everything is good now.

Thanks to Chewy for leading me in the right direction. I still don't understand these filter driver thingy's, but at least your advice lead me to start thinking about what programs might be causing the problem.
        My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

that wasn't where any of those filters came from, maybe some off the wall bundling?

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
            It Was The Dog, I Swear!
            • Nov 2003

Hmmm.. you sure about that? If there was any bundling going on, I sure wasn't informed at any point. As far as I knew, I was simply installing DVD Shrink, and that's it. When I uninstalled it, the problem went away. Here's what I have after uninstalling DVD shrink, and as you can see, my filter drivers are the same. How about that? All I know is the problem went away the instant I got rid of DVD Shrink.

----------------------------------------------------
            Filter Driver Load Order http://www.bustrace.com
            ----------------------------------------------------

Upper Device Filter: redbook
            Device Object: SONY DVD RW DRU-180A
            Lower Class Filter: ASAPIW2k
            Lower Class Filter: Afc
            Lower Device Filter: imapi

Driver Name: redbook.sys
            File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
            File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver
            File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) [5.1.2600.2180]
            Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
            Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180 [5.1.2600.2180]
            Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

Driver Name: asapiw2k.sys
            File Description: ASAPI
            File Version: 6, 0, 0, 1 [6.0.0.1]
            Product Name: asapi
            Product Version: 6, 0, 0, 1 [6.0.0.1]
            Company Name: VOB Computersysteme GmbH

Driver Name: afc.sys
            File Description: Arcsoft(R) ASPI Shell
            File Version: 1, 0, 0, 2 [1.0.0.2]
            Product Name: Arcsoft(R) ASPI Shell
            Product Version: 1, 0, 0, 2 [1.0.0.2]
            Company Name: Arcsoft, Inc.

Driver Name: imapi.sys
            File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver
            File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) [5.1.2600.2180]
            Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
            Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180 [5.1.2600.2180]
            Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
            My toy:

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

Driver Name: asapiw2k.sys
              File Description: ASAPI
              File Version: 6, 0, 0, 1 [6.0.0.1]
              Product Name: asapi
              Product Version: 6, 0, 0, 1 [6.0.0.1]
              Company Name: VOB Computersysteme GmbH

Driver Name: afc.sys
              File Description: Arcsoft(R) ASPI Shell
              File Version: 1, 0, 0, 2 [1.0.0.2]
              Product Name: Arcsoft(R) ASPI Shell
              Product Version: 1, 0, 0, 2 [1.0.0.2]
              Company Name: Arcsoft, Inc.
              what programs gave you these?

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

nero and imgburn don't write filter drivers to add to the system bus

lazy software developers that won't reprogram for windows nt kernels?

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

seems james and i agree

If Venom44 can't figure out how to remove (or uninstall these programs) these filters, do this:

i) Create a backup of your registry
                  ii) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
                  (it's also an excellent program imo)
                  iii) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Select "Iviaspi ". Click "Remove Selected Filter". Select "ASAPIW2k". Click "Remove Selected Filter". Click "ok".
                  iv) Reboot
                  course with imgburn you don't need to back up your registry just reinstall the app that wrote that filter driver to the system bus, hopefully an updated version that won't corrupt or conflict so easily

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                    It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                    • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by Chewy
                    what programs gave you these?
                    The only Arcsoft software on my PC is Photoimpression 6. came bundled with one of my digital cameras I think. I haven't used it and probably never will, come to think of it.

As far as the other one is concerned, I don't have a clue but I'm sure I could find out with a little research.
                    My toy:

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                      It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                      • Nov 2003

Ah... Pinnacle. It must have been put there by the software I installed for the HDTV Tuner card.
                      My toy:

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

I ran into a weird problem the other day that lightning was troubleshooting where some drive emulation software/filter drivers? had corrupted the spti bus, and it had to be repaired?

To me that would be time to reload windows, I have patched my install back together one time too many already.

Comment

Working...