X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrinkOrDie
    It Was The Dog, I Swear!
    • Nov 2003

Resetting Autoinsert for USB device?

When I plug in a digital camera to USB, a window pops up showing the contents of the camera. I want to reset it so it asks me what I want to do. Anyone know how?

I've just about exhausted my options. I've searched the web, searched the forum, can't find anything. I have fairly recently reset autoinsert notification already but can't remember how I did it.
    My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200
  • browneye
    jack of all trades - master of some
    • Mar 2007

with your camera plugged in and turned on, double click "My Computer". you should see it there. Right click on the camera and click properties then events. click the "prompt for which program to run" click OK you should be done

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
      It Was The Dog, I Swear!
      • Nov 2003

Yes, thanks. That works fine. But I was using the camera only as an example. I was hoping I could reset it to prompt me whenever I insert ANY USB device, rather than having to reset it individually for each device.
      My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

after being infected with a rootkit trojan from a usb drive(I just open a text file) I now immunize all usb drives and flash with Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBS

Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
        The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
        Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
        Reboot your computer when done.
        Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that is plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.

Comment

• BR7
          He is coming to your little town!
          • Aug 2005

So log is the only thing that's visible,right? Because that's what my flash drive shows

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

it creates an empty locked autorun.inf on each drive
            which says lpt3.This folder was created by Flash_Disinfector

Comment

Working...